Old 07-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #1  
Don't Stop Believin'

S/C/G: 190.4/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default New to community

Hello all! I am a 33 year old mother of two wonderful boys and married to a great man with an incredibly high metabolism. He is unknowingly one of my weight loss saboteurs. He can eat whatever he wants although I warn him that it will catch up with him one day.

I have tried every diet under the sun and have had some success but find myself allowing stress to pack the pounds back on. I am now under the care of a doctor who has put me on a high protein/low fat vitamin, water, and exercise packed diet. I am in the midst of my first week. I feel that I am doing fine but it's the motivation to stick with it that I lack. Especially around the holiday weekends or the many parties of summer - I am feeling a bit resentful and grumpy. I would love to be eating the chips/dips and bbq that the 4th brings but know that if I do then my hard work this week will be for nothing.

I just wanted to introduce myself with the hopes that I can find some support here to keep moving forward in the journey. I keep debating with myself do I eat what I want and be happy but embarrassed in my clothes or do I eat healthy and be a bit grumpy and feel good about how I look? I don't have the answer - maybe one of you will? My goal is 35 lbs by the end of the year which may be a bit agressive but if I keep my head in the game I should make it.

What is everyone else doing to shed the lbs?
jhawk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 231.5/202.4/160

Height: 5'3"

Welcome JHawk76, I too am new to this site even though I lurked for some time. I have been counting calories(1400-1600 per day) and doing a combination of run/walk(2-4 miles approx. 30 to 60 min.) for the last year. I have been able to drop 31.5 pounds and keep them off. Good luck to you I am sure you will find much support here!
gmcmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #3  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

to the groups jhawk!

I'm a calorie counter (fitday, My Fitness Pal, and caloriecount are good sites for writing down calorie intake). It depends on the day as to what I eat. Usually between 1300 and 1500 a day, sometimes as high as 1700, sometimes as low as 1100. I exercise 6 days a week (3 cardio days, 3 strength days). DH is overweight, but still eats what he wants.

If you're not feeling happy when you're eating healthy, then allow yourself a little treat (note that it's a "little" treat). My biggest pet peeve about dieting is people who say "you can't eat that!". Of course you can, but you have to decide if that's what you want. If you want a few chips with guacamole dip, then have them, just don't have the entire bag of chips; have 10; count them out. When you're finished with the 10, say to yourself "I'm finished". Denying yourself treats makes you want it all the more and denial will usually end up as a binge later. It's all about balance.

As for motivation, ask yourself WHY you want to lose weight. Is it to look dead sexy in underwear? Is it for your health? Are you losing weight to feel better about yourself or set yourself a challenge? Think about your reasons and your motivation will get stronger. Your reasons may even change over time; cool. When they change, you increase your motivation again.

Good luck with the diet.

Last edited by Mollz; 07-04-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: why doesn't 3fc like my fitness pal?
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #4  
Don't Stop Believin'

Thank you both for the warm welcome. We actually went to a 4th of July party this evening and the temptations were many but I was able to avoid them. I am so excited that I didn't give in. I appreciate your support and to hear that the calorie counting is working for you. Portion control is what my doctor will transition me into once I drop 1/2 of my goal weight. I am anxious to see how I have done this week. I look forward to more posts! Good luck to you too!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #5  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!!! My name is Hope. I'm married to one crazy man, and mother to 3 crazy kids, ages 9, 5 & 3! My plan to lose 80 pounds includes eating primarily SuperFoods/whole foods and calorie counting, which worked WONDERFULLY for me before. I stuck to a range of 1500 to 1600 daily and lost about 2.5 pounds every week. I'm also walking and will resume jogging when my back is 100% again (herniated disc).

You'll find so much support here. Good luck to you and I can't wait to see you post some lower numbers as your weight loss kicks in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollz View Post
As for motivation, ask yourself WHY you want to lose weight. Is it to look dead sexy in underwear? Is it for your health? Are you losing weight to feel better about yourself or set yourself a challenge? Think about your reasons and your motivation will get stronger. Your reasons may even change over time; cool. When they change, you increase your motivation again.
Mollz, so glad you posted this, because today, I was not feeling really motivated. This is exactly what I needed to read this morning!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #6  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi jhawk - love your name! Welcome to the group. I calorie count like many others here - between 1200-1500 cals a day - usually closer to the high range, but never over 1500. Good luck!
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #7  
Don't Stop Believin'

Mollz - thanks for motivation bit - I really am in need of it today.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/242/165

Height: 5'4

welcome i follow a low carb eating plan an exercise ...
cocomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #9  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

welcome!

I calorie count and exercise like crazy. I stay below 1900 cals per day on the days I exercise and under 1500 on other days. Like anything, it's a balancing act. If you fall off the wagon, just don't stay down. Congrats on avoiding the temptations!
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote