Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #1  
Reads the scale too much!

S/C/G: 182/182/160

Height: 5'8"

Default What made you decide it was time to lose weight?

I know this has probably been done a thousand times on this forum...if so, I'm sorry.

Anyway, many of us let ourselves go for a long time and let ourselves get as big as we are/were and obviously weren't as worried about it as we are now. Not to be crude, it's honest...we all didn't do what it takes to lose weight for how ever long it took us to get as fat as our starting point.

What was the turning point for you? What made you decide it was time to lose weight?

For me, it was my Commanding Officer getting on my Senior Chief (Navy) about how fat I was and that I needed to be put on an exercise program. That, the fact that I hated looking at myself in the mirror and the fact that I was real close to 200 pounds (which is, by far, the heaviest I have ever been in my life). If I didn't do something drastic, I would cross the 200 pound mark and really hate myself...and my CO wouldn't let my Senior Chief off the hook (who, in turn, wouldn't let me off the hook).

I am embarrassed, I am embarrassed to see myself in the mirror and for others to see me this way. This is probably part of the reason I want to lose weight FAST, which I know isn't healthy...but I can't stand myself like this.

I look pregnant (Most of my fat is in my belly area. My 4 year old son gives my belly a hug and says he's hugging the baby girl inside me.) and I am a guy with tits that can hold a pencil by themselves! (My skinny wife tested this for me a while back and thought it was funny. She also told me before that she thought mine might be bigger than hers.).

Anyway...what was your turning point?
memorysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Having the pressure of being in the military has to be really difficult with regards to weight. They're much less forgiving than the average employer.

I always feel like I need to speak up on this issue, to be heard, because most people are not like me, but surely there's someone else out there who is!! LOL!

This weight did NOT sneak up on me. Not at all. I watched every pound pack itself on. Weight loss has not been easy and I have not taken it lieing down. I had to educate myself about PCOS and insulin resistance. I had to learn about calories in vs. calories out. I had to learn about exercise. I had to learn the right combination for all that and then I had to learn that patience, above all else, would be my personal key.

What makes it different this time is that I have given myself a time goal instead of a poundage goal. I have made a commitment to be on plan for one full year, no matter what. That is the one reason why I am still here and the only reason I have lost 49 lbs.

I had to learn that success is measured in ways outside of attaining a goal weight. Just because I don't make it to goal does NOT mean I have not been successful. I have successfully lost 49 pounds and that 49 pound loss IS worth maintaining.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #3  
Finally doing something!

S/C/G: 223/180.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorysan View Post
I am a guy with tits that can hold a pencil by themselves! (My skinny wife tested this for me a while back and thought it was funny. She also told me before that she thought mine might be bigger than hers.).
This is kind of funny...not laughing at you, just the way you express yourself is so frank.

My turning point is when all my clothes were too small for me and my pants cut into my gut. My son was already 15 months and I still looked pregnant. Then I saw myself in pictures and you could see the fat in my face. I decided to take control and change things.
Caro0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I couldn't look at myself anymore- even when I thought I looked good and I'd see pictures, I'd cringe. I decided I didn't want to live life having no photos!

I also want to have children and be around as long as possible- sooo yeah- it was time!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #5  
Reads the scale too much!

S/C/G: 182/182/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro0811 View Post
This is kind of funny...not laughing at you, just the way you express yourself is so frank.
Sorry, I'm in the Navy...dirty talk is part of the life. Believe me, I really clean my "mouth" when I type on line.
memorysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #6  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

My turning point was failing the AF fitness test (again), just because of the ab cir. measure....I can run, no problem...push-ups, some problem, but can do enough...sit-ups, no problem. It's just that dang tape measure....and it's completely oblivious of the fact that I'm 5'9". I have to be extra skinny just because I'm tall. Anyway, I was sick of worrying about it every year and being "on the line" and "just squeaking by". I'd had it. I was darn well not going to lose my retirement pay after 16 years of hard work just because of a stupid tape measure! I got pissed and got motivated. Started tracking everything I ate and working out like a crazy lady. I lost almost 3 inches in my waist in less than 90 days. Weight loss has slowed a bit...definitely not at my goal weight, but I'm out of danger, and am continuing to move ahead.

After being around AF guys for 16 years...I thought you toned down the language admirably...I've definitely heard worse...just this morning...

Last edited by AFChick; 05-11-2010 at 12:09 PM.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #7  
Finally doing something!

S/C/G: 223/180.8/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorysan View Post
Sorry, I'm in the Navy...dirty talk is part of the life. Believe me, I really clean my "mouth" when I type on line.
lol...I know you were trying to keep it clean for us huh?
Caro0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/131.6/108

Height: 5'

I remember when i was 12/13 years old, i was about 4'11" (only an inch shorter than now lol) and i get on the scale with 2 of my friends and they both weighed 90-something pounds, and i weighed 104.

I wasn't fat then, i actually was skating a lot, i had very very muscular legs, a tiny waist, and no boobs to speak of (that of course changed) But i was young and impressionable and i thought oh wow, i am 10lbs heavier than these girls... i am too fat. I couldn't get past what the scale said, because that was the only measure of fitness i knew.

So i have been trying to lose weight for the past 10 years of my life. Probably more even. And i have at times been successful, there was a time in high school where i was around 120-125, i wasn't super thin, but i was healthy, and boys considered me very very attractive. LOL and of course thats all i cared about.

When i was 18, i got married, i got fat and i was very very miserable, and lonely. Food was a comfort.

When i turned 20 i got divorced, i was way stressed out, i was miserable, i was lonely, and the weight melted off me like a butter in a microwave, probably because i was so stressed out and had some serious control issues (or lack of control issues) and i developed and eating disorder. AKA i ate an energy bar every 2 days and lived of sugar-free redbull. Also had some other issues with cutting at the time... needless to say it was not a great time for me. But iwas skinny and that was great. I was about 115 at my lowest.

115 was a great weight for me. Its alot better than where im at now, but at the time i never worked out and so i was like a skinny fat, i still looked chubbby because i had not muscle tone. 115 is like where i would like to be again, but this time, im going to add some muscle to my flabby butt lol

So anyways lets fast forward to now. I've met my amazing fiance, unfortunately for me that means i was happy, and he liked for me to eat, he took me out all the time, we both love fast food, and eating out and for 3 years of dating we have let some unhealthy eating habits develop.

He gained 15 lbs (and still looks amazing, btw), I've gained like 50. Anyways me and my fiance are getting married on september 12. That is why i am 100% committed to getting in shape. For the first time in my life, i am actually very happy with most of the things going on in my life. The one thing that has chronically plagued me is my weight. and i want it under control before i start my new life and faily with my fiance.

Also it helps that i will have to where a beautiful dress in front of all our family and friends. And because its a beach wedding/reception, there is a strong likelihood i will be in a bikini also.

And besides all those reasons, well im just really sick of being fat. I'm want to be hot while im still young enough to enjoy it. Also i want to be in good shape for when me and my fiance start to have kids. I want to give them the best start in life, so i need to take care of myself as well.

So there are alot of reason now is the time for me to get in shape. So I would really be letting myself down if i didnt commit to it now.
aware210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

I got tired of shopping in the fat women's clothing section where there is very little choice.
I tired of being out of breath when my family wants to be active, such as hiking, going to a theme park, etc. etc.
I got tired of hurting (fibromyalgia, degeneration in my spine, knees and ankle problems).
I got tired of looking frumpy no matter what I put on.

I got tired of being fat, being paranoid i wasn't going to fit into rides at the amusment park, or on an airplane, got tired of buying new clothes because I got tooooo fat to wear my old ones. I got tired of the looks from my daughter's playmates. I got tired of the "fat" humor from family. And ultimately I got tired of old people (nursing home) asking me when my baby was due (when I was not pregnant).

that's my reasons, I basically got tired of being fat and all the stuff that goes along with it.
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #10  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

Being in the Army I had no choice but to be physically fit. Deployments, field exercises, road marches, PT every single day....I could do and eat as I pleased and never ever had to worry about putting on weight. I used to run a 7 minute mile.

Now I work for the Dept. of Defense in a very sedentary (but challenging) position as a Satellite Systems Engineer. I sit on my butt all day long and I apparently kept up my ways of unhealthy eating but now lacked the physical demands of Army life.

Seeing the scale top 200lbs absolutely killed me and I knew that if I didn't do something now that it may be too late. So I just switched my mind back into the Army way of thinking and I started kicking my own *** on a daily basis. The big change was my style of eating. I'm not 21 anymore w/the metabolism of a cheetah, so the change to my diet was the biggest adjustment that I had to make.

Last edited by Hopeful8; 05-12-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/141

Height: 5'2"

I was outgrowing all my clothes. I saw a picture of my family from my grandmothers funeral in January and I looked like a cow (ok.. not really I looked like an overweight human... but you get the picture) My face was so fat and as much as I love my dad, with a fat face I look just like him and thats not cool with me! So I finally started doing something about it. I didn't like my body and realized that the only person who could or would change that is ME! I still struggle many days, I have setbacks, but I just keep pushing through.
sarahtmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/208/160

Default I started looking at pictures of myself ...

and I was shocked at how I looked. Isn't it amazing how every morning you can have a shower, brush your teeth, get dressed and somehow never truly see your self in the mirror.

Over Christmas my kids got digital camera's , and were taking tons of pic. They of course wanted them printed, and I started to delete the one's I was in.

I stopped midway through deleting them all, and thought this is how my kids see me, this is all they've known.

How can I delete them, its not like the pics are not true.

So I printed the pictures out and posted them on the fridge.

Too the kids its a really cool collage of our family, but to me its a reminder of how others see me.
CanadianMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #13  
Hail Purdue!!

S/C/G: 217/ticker#2/130

Height: 5'0

I was ALWAYS tired and I started to outgrow the biggest clothes I had.

I knew I was turning 30 in March and I didnt want to enter my 30s struggling with my weight.

I was disgusted with the way I looked in pictures.

I was at the highest weight EVER (217)!
PurdueGirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #14  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy The Big D

Diabetes (type 2) diagnosis.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #15  
Loving life...loving me

S/C/G: 234/226/150!

For me, there wasn't really a "magical moment", I just wanted to feel healthy and comfortable with myself, wear whatever I want and still feel comfortable - or not wear anything and yes, feel comfortable...play sports, dance and do all things I like, without having to think if my rolls are hanging out

Oh, I also got tired of photoshopping e-v-e-r-y single picture I was in well, at least I got really good at it
wowzers is offline   Reply With Quote