Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #1  
keep on truckin' momma

S/C/G: 278/255/170

Height: 5'2

Default Working moms..help!

I just wanted to hear some support/encouragement from all those hard working moms out there! Im starting a full time position tomorrow and i haven't worked a full time job in over 11 years Ive got two kids (5yr and an 8yr old) and taking care of them,my husband and the house chores wears me out. Now im going to be working 8-5 every day ....how did you do it at first?

I know once i get into the swing of things it won't be so bad but im so nervous, what if i can't handle it all..sigh!

Please give me your experiences!!!!
misspriss78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #2  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

I've been back to work just over a year now and it was a huge adjustment for my family. My kids will even now tell me that they don't want me to work and that they miss me during the day. My 4 year old just told me a few weeks ago he wants me to get fired that way I don't have to go to work every day. For me the most important thing was to be organized which is still soemthing I'm working on. I've started planning meals out and grocery shopping once a week instead of whenever I realized I needed something. I try to get my dishes done once a day or do a load of laundry every day so that I don't have 10 loads to do on Saturday, etc...

You'll do fine! It'll take awhile to get into the new groove of things but you'll get there!! Enjoy your time out of the house..
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #3  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Hi there,

This thread question really resonated with me because balancing family/work/sanity is something that I still (will always?) struggle with.

Here are a few things that worked for me:

1. Using a slow cooker: turn on in morning, dinner ready by 5pm (apply all usual cautions); in winter time, I use slow cooker for steel cut oats for breakfast.

2. Identify back-up childcare for your back-up childcare; list of people who can be called when emergency needed (my kids are much younger and not in school so maybe not as applicable to you)

3. Exercise (which seems impossible at first): this is now my official "Me Time" and DH is trained not to mess with it. I refuse to feel guilty if dishes sit in sink and I go to exercise.

4. Find an exercise that can be done in the house (again, I have little kids so if they are sleeping at night and DH is away, I can use elliptical but can't go to the gym). Exercising at home saves me time getting to/from gym.

5. Make a weekly menu/shopping list: this seems hugely compulsive and time consuming but it saves me from that dreaded "what's for dinner?". And not having to answer the "what's for dinner" question makes me happy.
- have a running grocery list somewhere central; delegate to DH to pick the basics up every week.

6. Say no to things. No I can't make that from scratch. No I can't do it all myself. No I can't stay awake until 11pm.

7. Pack lunch and pick out work clothes the night before. I remember my Mum doing this when I was a kid (she was single-parent) and thought she was hyper-compulsive. Now I understand why she did it.

8. Get kids to do things on their own. My DS is (with help) packing his own school lunch, put it in his bag and get himself dressed.... we pick out his clothes the night before too.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

You're right, once you get into your routine, it will get easier. Honestly, I've never been anything BUT a working mom (I have the military to thank for that .

It definitely helps to plan out meals, I find that if I don't plan something for dinner, my son gets Lipton rice or noodles.....not a good choice if it happens every night.

I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Being a working mom is a lot harder than I thought it would be... But I am getting into a groove. And it is nice to go to work and get a little peace and quiet!! Lol!

Sometimes I just have to let the house be messy while I relax and watch some TV in the evenings. My son is only 15 months old, but as soon as he is capable, he will have little chores to do.

At 5 and 8, your kids can help with things. They can pick up their toys. They can pull laundry out of the washing machine and put it in the drier. They can help with dishes. Maybe you can get your hubby to help, too? I have had to work hard on mine, but he is getting better! Lol!

I agree with the PP that you should do a load of dishes or laundry each day so it doesn't pile up.

Other tips:
- Pack lunches the night before (don't leave that for morning)
- Make sure to take the occassional evening to leave kids with hubby and go have a coffee or glass of wine with a friend or ten.
- If you are able to do any work from home, that can be helpful (I do four days in the office and one day from home)
- Sometimes you just have to let things go. If you can't get to something right away, worry about it later! Use paper plates if you don't ahve time to do dishes.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

ditto what Brains said

Finding that balance is what will give you success. I also want to add that you have to learn that you can't do everything all the time. Sometimes my house isn't spotless, sometimes I don't cook a meal, so we eat out instead. It's all ok because I am providing for my family the very best that I can.

good luck!!
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/141

Height: 5'2"

I am a "working" mom too (actually I'm a full time student, but I'm a single mom to 3 little boys after my divorce soo..) its been an adjustment. I think everyone has some great advice. I can't always keep up with things, sometimes I just have to take us out to eat to make life a little bit easier.

I guess the biggest thing that I can say is, if you feel like you can't give any more to your house, give yourself 10 minutes. A little bit here and there can make a huge difference. When I'm completely exhausted at the end of the day and my house is a wreck I tell myself, I'll just give myself 10 minutes. And its amazing what I can accomplish in 10 minutes!

And as far as exercise, I just MAKE time for that. Kind of like eating and going to the bathroom, its something that has to be done. I have workout videos for days I can't make it to the gym or don't feel like going. I love Jilian Michaels Shred video because the workout can be done in 25 or so minutes, which is just about the right amount of time before my kids start screaming. LOL

You can do it and it really isn't that bad. It forces you to manage your time better which has been nothing but a goood thing for me.
sarahtmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #8  
keep on truckin' momma

S/C/G: 278/255/170

Height: 5'2

Great Advice Ladies, I really appreciate it I will have to come back and read this thread when i feel like pulling my hair out

Again,thanks...i feel so much better
misspriss78 is offline   Reply With Quote