Old 01-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #1  
Taming the Bread Monster

Height: 5'10"

Smile What do you reward yourself with?

I decided that this time around (yes, there have been quite a few times around the weight loss block for me) I would reward myself for every ten pounds lost. I started my diet (fairly low carb with calorie counting and a healthy dose of exercise) about two weeks ago; I've since lost ten pounds. So I've ordered myself a new lipstick -- Fresh Morrocan from MAC. Usually I don't allow myself to purchase expensive makeup, but I've been wanting to try this shade for awhile -- and I made myself earn it by being disciplined and avoiding too many carbs. I think giving myself little rewards (things that have something to do with improving my appearance) will help with my weight loss and help me feel more confident, especially since I usually deny myself certain little luxuries (like cosmetics).

My question: Do you reward yourself after losing a certain amount of weight? What have you given yourself, or plan on giving yourself?
Aschekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/190/145

Height: 5'3

Typically, in the past (yes, I've been around the weight loss block several times as well) I never really rewarded myself by purchasing stuff. I think the weight loss was enough motivation for me. But this time around, I am a lot busier than before. I have my daughter, I work full time, and go to school part time so I think rewards should be in place. I think your MAC lipstick is a great choice. I think maybe is what I might is put a certain amount of money aside for each 10 lbs so that when I get to my goal I can buy me a whole new wardrobe! Eeeek, I would LOVE that!!
sockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: see WT

Height: 5'6''

for now, my happiness is rewarding enough. when i try clothes i haven't been able to wear for years, and it fits, it is such a good feeling... and that feeling of lightness when i walk, what a relief! so, for now, that is my reward&motivation.
i do, however, tend to buy myself a bit more expensive workout clothes when i need it, i feel i deserve it.

your lipstick is a good choice, it is a luxury well earned! so happy for you!
quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I am competing a little with my sister. We have goals set up - like do 10 man push-ups, lose 1% of fat, etc. In March, we are rewarding oursleves with a trip to the spa for full body massages... but loser has to pay! This seems like it will be nice b/c we BOTH get rewarded by getting a massage - but it is motivating b/c I don't want to have to pay!!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #5  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Default My reward:

I need "games" to keep me going and I'm a bit of a political junkie. So this is what I do:

1. For every 1 lb I lose, I give myself a certain $. Every month, I need to lose a minimum of 2lbs (so I reward myself with $ x 2). That money is mine for whatever I want -- facial (see other post about no BCP and crazy skin), lipstick, new work out clothes, donation, save for something "big", lunch with a friend etc.

2. HOWEVER: if I do not make the monthly 2 lb minimum, the $ x 2 amount gets donated to a Canadian political party that I abhor. I don't like any of their policies, their leader, their ideology, not even their logo. So the thought of giving them my money -- which was originally a gift from my (dying) grandfather -- is a MAJOR motivation.

Complicated? Compulsive? A bit weird? All yes. But it's working.

B.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/191/155

Height: 5'8"

I think rewarding yourself is a great idea. After each 5lb loss, I treat myself to my most favorite dessert. Usually it's ice cream of some sort. I don't overdue it, I just allow myself to have it without the guilt :-) Until then, I have to watch everyone around me indulge. Keep up the good work!!
staffingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #7  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

I like the idea of rewarding yourself...I haven't been doing that per se...I may treat myself to a pedicure after I pass my PT test and to a few new outfits when I hit my goal weight. (Alot of my clothes will no longer fit...YAY! I can dig out the old stuff, but it will be hopelessly out of date...)
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I REALLY need to come up with a reward system of some sort too. I have been thinking about it for a while, but I don't know what would motivate me enough. I mean, usually if I want something bad enough, I'll buy it. I know when I get smaller, I'll buy new clothes because its something that I'll need. So, I don't know. I really need to do some thinking about that...maybe make a list and pick out the best ones.

Sockmonkey & B: I like the money idea.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #9  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

lol i do this...
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #10  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Talking Yep...

My Husband buys me whatever I want.... At first it was every 10 lbs but now it is every 5 lbs... I have been having a harder time lately which is why we changed the reward system!

I have things like new shoes, A new workout outfit, New make up, a new pair of jeans, etc.... It depends on what I want at that time I make a new goal! I have 5lbs to go till my next reward...(just got the new workout gear) I think this time I want a new sexy bra! I can't wait!

I think the rewards can work really well for some people!
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I don't do well saying I will get a reward when I lose xyz. I decided to start rewarding myself right from the very beginning. My rewards were things like watching a double feature on TV, talking too long on the phone, spending time doing my eyebrows and fingernails, etc. Once I started losing weight--20, 30 pounds or so I started experimenting with new styles of clothing and lipgloss and things. I will use ANYTHING for a "reward" as long as it isn't a poor food choice! I might buy $4 pint of raspberries but I don't "reward" myself w/a cheat meal or whatever--that to me, is like getting punched in the face!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/215/185

Height: 5'1"

I have a charm bracelet, and every five pounds I buy myself another charm. That way I have something to look at and remind me of what I'm working towards.
Aiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #13  
Shrewkate the Study Geek

S/C/G: 227 / 217 / 200 (TEN!! WHEE!!)

Height: 5'6"

I like the lipstick idea -- possibly would do eyeshadow, too, for me.

I've gone, with my 1st 5 lbs, an item from my Amazon wish list. Since the list is -quite- long and some things are relatively unusual, this hopefully shall work fairly well.
shrewkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #14  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Default Cool Idea-

Aiela- Cool Idea! I like the charm braclet- with something to look at... I have never really like bracelets all that much, but I am going to look into it!
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #15  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I personally don't find rewards motivating, but more of a fun pat on the back for a job well done. I just lost 45 lbs. today and I treated myself to a pedicure. But, when I'm working out and want to stop or when I'm craving a food, thinking about that future pedicure is not really helpful. I have to dig deep and ask myself how I really want to live my life and I now say that I want to be in control of my body and not the other way around. But, it's definitely fun and I know everyone is different.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote