Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #61  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

SamanthaJubilee: Congrats on all the extra credits! Gotta love it when things work out like that...

Mollz: I gotta ask...what is topside mince?
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 204/191/155

Height: 5'8"

Day 3...and wow is this hard. I had a business luncheon today and they ordered pizza....of course I didn't eat it, but it smelled SO good. I ate my spinach salad and pear. It was quite good actually, and I feel like I had a small victory. I am trying to stay positive. It looks like you are all doing the same. I'd like to know what your opinions are as far as healthy foods that REALLY taste good. My hubby and I are trying to plan our meals for next week and I could really use some tips. Keep up the great work everyone :-)
staffingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #63  

staffingchick: Awesome job! It's so hard when people eat stuff like that in front of you. You did it. High-five!

As far as healthy foods that taste good...I really like fruit. Pears, gala and pink lady apples, clementines, strawberries, blueberries. I also like to snack on celery with laughing cow cheese (the stuff in the wedges)...I think it tastes really good. I also like low-fat cottage cheese with some blackberries or blueberries mixed in.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #64  
Because I Can

Height: 5'6"

Wow, AFChick, you have a phd? That's awesome!

Sorry if I don't post to everyone specifically today. I have spent a couple of hours on the phone finding out what our ins benefits are for the year and making doctors/dentist appts.

I had pasta last night too. How funny. I had ww pasta. I like to grind my own meat (in the food processor) because I can cut off most of the fat. So, I go online and check how many calories are in the meat and set mine aside before making for the family. I did add store bought sauce but I measured and deducted the calories. Spaghetti is so easy to add veggies to also.

Yesterday I only did my c25k run and an ab workout. The c25k is 6-90 second sprints with walking to make 30 minutes. I don't normally count it as my workout. However, last night my shins really hurt and I couldn't muster up the umf to go do cardio with my shins hurting. Now I feel guilty. I am going to do 30 min of cardio today before doing my weights tonight to make up for it. Do ya'll think I'm a little off mentally that I feel guilty?

Did you watch The Biggest Loser? Do you have a favorite yet? There's a chick named Melissa who weighs about the same as me.

Hope you guys are kickin butt today!

-Mel.
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #65  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelO View Post
Wow, AFChick, you have a phd? That's awesome!

-Mel.
Yep, operations research, a.k.a. applied mathematics...piled higher and deeper...it's cool to have it done, but it directly led to at least 30 of the 50 pounds I now need to lose...
Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #66  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChick View Post
Mollz: I gotta ask...what is topside mince?
Topside steak is round steak, but here the market cuts the fat off and turns it into ground meat (mince). The round steak is a nice, medium-tender steak cut with a bit of fat on the end.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #67  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelO View Post
Yesterday I only did my c25k run and an ab workout. The c25k is 6-90 second sprints with walking to make 30 minutes. I don't normally count it as my workout. However, last night my shins really hurt and I couldn't muster up the umf to go do cardio with my shins hurting. Now I feel guilty. I am going to do 30 min of cardio today before doing my weights tonight to make up for it. Do ya'll think I'm a little off mentally that I feel guilty?
Nope; you shouldn't feel guilty if you're in pain! If your shins hurt during your run (shin splits), then do some tibial raises. It's the reverse of a calf-raise; instead of going up on the ball of your foot, go up on the heel of your foot so you're flexing the front part of your leg. When you're in the gym next (well, if you're part of a gym), ask a trainer or another runner to show you some exercises for strengthening it.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #68  

Well I made it through the 2nd day of exercising and logging everything I eat and counting my points. I knew I would be sore from the exercise but im not as bad as I thought, my thighs are hurting especially when I sit/gitting up from sitting or going up and down stairs. I did my upper body today with light weights so I will find out in the morning how sore I will be and im kind of up in the air about what kind of exercise I should do if my legs are still sore.

We are suppose to get snow tonight and through tomorrow night they are saying 1-3 inches but the way they are talking about the high winds and this artic blast I don't know what to expect. We don't normally get snow and when we even get a dusting of snow people go CRAZY buying up milk and bread acting like mad people. At the moment I am enjoying peace and quite DD is in her room playing and supper is on the stove cooking. I felt like soup tonight so I have a cooking light recipe I fixed Long grain and wild rice chicken soup, actually I modified quite a bit to use the stuff I had on hand but I have made it before and it was quite good. Well enough of my ramblings .........
mysweetiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Staffin Chick- Good job at lunch!

Nuunikki9- Hang in there, teens are jerks! Mine is 16 and he is REALLY testing me this week...

Everyone else for the most part seems to be doing well, keeping busy and either being really cold, or pretty darn hot! Here in Hawaii it's been averaging about 70 degrees which is socks and sweat pant weather for us!

Things are coming along, I'm exercising and eating right although not today, I've consumed only about 100 calories and it's past lunchtime. I'm not hungry though!
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #70  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChick View Post
Yep, operations research, a.k.a. applied mathematics...piled higher and deeper...it's cool to have it done, but it directly led to at least 30 of the 50 pounds I now need to lose...
AFChick:

I laughed when I saw the give away 'piled higher and deeper' phrase. The letters after my surname also added (at least) 30 pounds. I'm recently finished (2006) and I'm still trying to figure out whether it was worth it!

Best,
B.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #71  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainBabiesBe View Post
AFChick:

I laughed when I saw the give away 'piled higher and deeper' phrase. The letters after my surname also added (at least) 30 pounds. I'm recently finished (2006) and I'm still trying to figure out whether it was worth it!

Best,
B.
I finished in 2007 and then almost immediately started traveling with my job about 50% of the time for the last 2&1/2 years (that added the other 20 or so pounds)...I'm still debating as well...I guess it's kind of cool when I watch numb3rs and know what algorithms they're talking about...does that make 3 years of pain worthwhile?...LOL

what's your field of study?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #72  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollz View Post
Topside steak is round steak, but here the market cuts the fat off and turns it into ground meat (mince). The round steak is a nice, medium-tender steak cut with a bit of fat on the end.
Thanks for the info...I was imagining something like ground beef, but wasn't totally sure....
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #73  
Shrewkate the Study Geek

S/C/G: 227 / 217 / 200 (TEN!! WHEE!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffingchick View Post
Day 3...and wow is this hard. I had a business luncheon today and they ordered pizza....of course I didn't eat it, but it smelled SO good. I ate my spinach salad and pear. It was quite good actually, and I feel like I had a small victory. I am trying to stay positive. It looks like you are all doing the same. I'd like to know what your opinions are as far as healthy foods that REALLY taste good. My hubby and I are trying to plan our meals for next week and I could really use some tips. Keep up the great work everyone :-)
'small' victory?

That's a -MASSIVE- Victory! Way to go Staffingchick!

I had the same issue at the Really Big Lawfirm I worked at for many years (every single meeting, it seemed, needed food) -- and the leftovers always went into the breakroom -- right across from my office. I didn't have your willpower often enough! You deserve major kudos!

Here, have one! *passes her a kudo*
shrewkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #74  
Because I Can

staffingchick, wouldn't it be nice if we got some sort of weight-loss credit for saying no to bad stuff? Passed on ice cream? Well, we'll just take 1/2 a pound off your rear for that! It seems fair to me.

AFChick, we watch Numb3rs too. I have no idea what they're talking about until the little video of sprinkler patterns or however he explains it pops up. My dd wants her phd in psychology. I barely mustered an AA.

Mollie, thanks so much for the info on the shins. I was doing that reverse calf raise thing. My shins are cool now. I don't know if it was the exercise or the rest. I'm gonna keep doing them though.

Mysweetiepie, good job! I think the hardest part of losing weight is to get started. I LOVE the achy feeling of sore muscles. It's like a reminder of your body changing.

I got in 85 minutes of cardio today so I am pretty stoked. It is SO HARD not weighing myself everyday!! My wedding ring is lose and my face looks thinner. I can't even tell you how slow time goes by waiting for weigh-ins on Monday. I WANT TO BE IN THE 100'S!!!! OK, it's 3am. My laptop is dying. It's a sign to go to bed. Well, that and I'm rambling. Night!
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #75  

Default Small Victory

I had to get a "check up" on my fitness this morning from the powers that be...I have to pass a fitness test every year to keep my job...anyway, I failed it the last time because my ab cir. was too big (not height adjusted, it really sucks), but anyway...a few weeks ago, I was within 1 second of passing (on the 1.5 mile run) based on having an ab cir of 36". Today, my ab cir was 35.5, gaining me 3 points! This means that I could run 1.5 minutes slower and still get the min points I need...so basically it means that I should pass when I test at the end of the month.
YAY!!!! YAY!!!!

Oh yeah, YAY!!!!!!

Gotta keep my momentum up though because I don't want to gain any back before I test and starting this year we have to test every 6 months. No room for slacking...and I want to get fit for me, not the AF!!!!