30 Somethings December Chat

You're on Page 2 of 9
Go to
  • welcome back bigknitter! I am new here......glad you made it back!
  • I am supposed to be flying to Orlando today, but right now its raining like a monsoon and its windy, gusting to 60 mph, so I think I may not be going anywhere today. It was a blizzard here on Sunday, literally I think we got four feet of snow, and now its so icy outside from the rain that its like someone drove their zamboni to work and hotmopped all the roads.

I want airport junkfood.
  • Mango - holy crap girl. While I hope you get to go, I hope you remain safe. Winter in Alaska...ew...I thought winter in Nebraska was bad. I don't blame you for wanting to junk out. Maybe get something and walk around the airport eating it to burn the cals? I'm not much help.

I am so glad it's Friday. I'm about ready to dump one of my DC kids. His mom is NOT working with him. He's 7mo old and doesn't nap. She nurses him to sleep at night and sleeps with him. He's just tired out of his mind. She is "to busy" to feed him solids so he's freaking starving. If you wanna stay home with your kid, then do what you want. But when you take them to daycare, it helps if all kids are eating and napping....helps the provider not to go INSANE. The kid comes dirty and half naked in the bitter cold and most of the time doesn't have an extra outfit for when he explodes his diaper in his clothes. Sorry. I love this little guy, but his Mom is a FLAKE.

I'm debating whether or not to go grocery shopping tonight. I SO don't wan to fight football traffic to go tomorrow, but I'm wiped out and just want these extra kids to go home so I can chill with my four.
  • Well I have had two triumphs today. My only goal today was to go take my dogs for a walk, and after procrastinating all day I finally went. It is a triumph because it is FREEZING out there! The other is kind of a good and bad one. I made shortbread, telling myself it would be for gifts, yeah right. Anyway it was a flop, but I ate more than I should have until I finally just said it needs to go, and it did, right to the trash. Baby steps right? lol
  • WTG bigknitter! You are changing your MIND and that's the best way to start changing your BODY.

back, btw!
  • BigKnitter...WTG. It's great you went for your walk...procastination only hurts if it lasts past bedtime...

MP: I hope things get better with your DC kid...if a kid is hungry all the time on milk, they should eat food...period. A parent being to busy to feed their kid what they need is horrible! The mom should be allowed to be hungry for a while to see how it feels...all of us dieters know how it feels...

I didn't workout yesterday. I got a call to be emergency help at my kids' school bookfair...0730-1230 turned into 0730 to 1800 (6pm for all non military types ). I had my quilt block of the month club this morning and didn't have my block done yet (yikes). Luckily DH let me have a couple of hours uninterupted to get it done...he does have his moments!

I got a good suprise this morning...I jumped on WII fit to do my weigh-in and it said I lost 5.5 pounds in one day! I think something may have been wrong with the foot pads because the kids were using it to do the weight test game on there, so it may be back on tomorrow, but it was a GREAT feeling! Who knows, maybe my body finally got off the plateau it's been on and it's really gone...

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Saturday!
  • Morning Chicks and Happy Saturday!

One full week of my 7mo baby sleeping mostly through the night (only up once to eat and right back down!) I have been using some suggestions in a book called "Good Night Sleep Tight" by Kim West. Previously we were up every 2-3 hours...I was delirious...hadn't had a good nights sleep since before he was born.

But I feel pretty darn rested today! No need to take on the world or anything, but hey, sleep is sleep!

I was happy to see a "light prep" directions on the Kraft Mac&Cheese box. Yes, my kids love the mac and cheese...but for the family size it suggests a WHOLE STICK OF BUTTER! The light prep suggests half that and skim milk - cuts the calories for 1c. down from 410 to 230!

What's everyone else doing today?
  • Just starting out

I actually was going to do a challenge a month ago, and my computer froze. Kinda how my exercise regimen has been for a long time...My birthday is a month from now and I am determined to feel good when I throw on some clothes to go out with my hubby. My name is Nikki. I am 34, mother of three beautiful children (18,15, &11), a husband, two dogs, and a cat. I live in Valparaiso, Indiana. I have had issues with weight since I was 5. I take after my wonderful grandmother who didn't lose her weight until she was 64. I will not wait any longer! Since my computer is downstairs where my DVR is (I tape Gilad, just never come down to work out), I figure, if I chat everyday, I will work out just the same. I have A LOT to lose but my goal for my b-day..15 pounds. I know I can do it if I work out everyday.
  • Welcom nuunikki9!

A lot becomes a little if you hit it one small goal at a time. Congrats on your first step. I've also had weight issues my whole life. I started gaining at 5 and was on my first diet at 8. I've been thin a couple of times in my life and I'm determined to get there again and stay that way. I know I can do it and I know you can as well if you set your mind to it.
  • Hi Ladies!

I didn't do too much today. It's been a nasty day here near Philly. Cold rain that turned into our first snow of the season. It was pretty, but it did slush up and could make tomorrow A.M. slippery and icey. I got in a good workout, Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones AND Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga w/ Bob Level 1. A full hour!!!

Best news is...after gaining 2.5 lbs over Thanksgiving plus TOM, I went from 183.6 to 179.8 this morning!!!! I lost 3.4lbs!!! In one week!!!! Goodbye 180's!!!!

Jenn
  • The wife and I had a planned off the diet day. I felt like crap most of the day from eating junk. I have found that if I stick to the ketogenic type of diet that I am on, I feel so much better. I am not going off diet again until christmas, but even then I am not eating junk. I will stick to things that make me feel good healthwise rather than the short term carb induced high from eating junk.
  • sbinkerd1....is the ketogenic diet like low-carb? I always feel better doing low-carb...I'm going back on it....I was doing 1200 calories a day all last week and feel horrible...I think its all the carbs. gonna stick with low-carb...probably forever....i have more energy on that
  • Well, found out the WII fit was going hay-wire yesterday...yesterday it said I lost 5.5 lbs in one day...today it says I gained 6.6 pounds in one day...I'm calling yesterday an anomoly! Oh well, I'm staying to my course no matter what the scale says today.

I tried low-carb after my second son was born. It worked great until I went off it and then I gained 30 pounds back in 2 months. I don't think I could stick to it forever (I like bread and rice), so I'm not going low-carb anymore. I also felt horrible the whole time I was doing it....I do best just overloading on fresh fruit and veggies and then working out like a crazy person . When I eat that many veggies, it take so long to eat them (just to chew them), I don't eat much junk. I also am pretty full most of the time. The working out is a great stress reliever. I just have to make it a priority to get it done. My problem is that when I'm not dieting, my life takes over and makes other plans for me that don't include massive workouts.
  • Hi everyone, I have not posted in here before but I have lurked for a bit :-)

I am 39, wow I don't feel like I'm that old! I have been married 21 years...I was married at 17.
    I have a 19 yr old daughter in her first year of college and 14 yr old daughter in her first year of high school. My son is 10 and is in 5th grade.
    I will be back on tomorrow to post a bit more and catch up on this thread!

Nice to meet you all!
  • lauralyn and everyone else who is new too!

MP- that moms sounds horrible. I have always said that people need a license to breed! lol There are kids here at school that I would like to take home, give them a bath and feed them. Their kids are hungry and dirty. I wonder what kind of condition the houses they live in are.

It's been chilly here and we had snow on Saturday. It was beautiful, the kind that just clings to all the trees. It cleared up fast and is pretty much all gone today. The roads didn't get bad either which made it really nice.

Tonight we are going to the Christmas dinner show at Dixie Stampede. Lots of food! I know I won't do good tonight but it's one of those things you don't do everyday. I tried to keep it light for lunch and I only had a banana at breakfast.

I am not doing so great on exercise. I am lazy and that's the whole of it!!! lol I have a ton of excuses but when it comes right now to it they are all excuses, right?

Ya'll have a great day.