Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 AM   #1  

Default How do you get back on track after being sick?

I am just getting over a bout of what appears to have been Swine Flu. It hit me two weeks ago and I was sick for a week. I still have a bit of lung stuff hanging on which makes me think I need to ramp back up the exercise slowly.

I'm more concerned with food and rebound weight gain. I lost 3.8 lbs. from being sick. I know that weight lost when sick isn't "real" loss so I expected my weight to go up a little once I brought my calories back in line with my normal 1,600- 1,900 per day range. I am still not back up to that range yet but my weight is CLIMBING.

Why is my weight is INCREASING even though my calories are in the 1,000-1,200 range? I can understand not losing but how is my body finding a way to gain? Because this is happening I'm scared to ramp up the calories back to my normal range because I'm thinking I'll still get a big rebound gain on TOP of what I regained this week.

My body just DOES NOT want to get down below 190 and stay there. I've been fighting and fighting to make it happen for quite sometime and it just does not want to cooperate. I am so frustrated!

How do I get back on track with my diet and calories after this little medical detour without screwing everything up worse?
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

Oh Bindersbee...I feel for you! I can't imagine what you've gone through but I just wanted to say and I know you'll get to where you want to be.

I've heard people tell me that eating is only about 20% of the battle and exercise is about 80%. I guess you've gotta force yourself to stay on the right path for eating and work your buns off!

I've been told that changing up your workout routine a lot (i.e. weights etc) is one of the best things...and be sure not to push yourself until you're feeling up to it.

Last edited by Wifey; 07-27-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #3  

Thanks for the reply Wifey.

I've heard the opposite- that it's 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. Either way, they both matter. I don't have as much lung capacity right now as I normally have while the last vestiges of this crud are hanging on in my lungs but I am going to try to do a mellow 30 minutes of a workout today and see where I'm at.

I added weight training for awhile back in June but it made my weight jump up too and my schedule is too erratic right now to do the program I had decided on (Chalene Extreme) so I'll start back to the weight training this fall.

I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to do enough to progress. It's great that I'm 'maintaining' but I've got way too much weight to lose still to 'maintain'. I had really hoped to do well this summer and life has had other plans...

I just can't believe I can't stay down in the 180's. There is no reason for me to have regained the entire 3.8 lbs. I lost and then some when my calories are still so low. What the (*&^*( is going on with my stupid body?
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Oooops...I think I put that backwards....it's definitely Monday!

Hmmmm...I don't know why I posted some advice in the first place...I'd LOVE to be down where you are right now....all I can do is support you and give you a

Are you taking vitamins, supplements etc??? Maybe your metabolism is slowing and that's why you can't get down past 180?? Not sure if there's anything out there to help increase your metabolism...
I think I'm just babbling now...

There are so many things that could be going on...maybe you could talk to your family doctor about it?

Is Monday over yet?!?!

Last edited by Wifey; 07-27-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Recovery from an illness or injury can be complex. I think inflammation and water retention, and even a bit of muscle-loss could be part of the equation.

I had pneumonia this spring, and my doctor told me that recovery could take months. I didn't realize how much strength, stamina, and lung capacity I had lost until I had difficulty doing tasks that had come easily before the illness.

It's frustrating, but there's no alternative but to move on from where you are now, and try not to compare it to where you were "before." You've always got to deal with the body you have this moment, not the one you had before or the one you may have one day. Work on testing and pushing your limitations, realizing that they will grow.

Good luck and hang in there.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I'm also recovering from what was probably swine flu (I wasn't diagnosed but my daughter was). I was very ill with it. I'm back to exercising now though sometimes have to stop as sometimes still feeling dizzy. I went back to plan as soon as I was getting better and the scales have gone down a total of 6lb over the last 3 weeks though have been up and down a lot over that time too. I lost nothing the week I was ill despite not eating, 5 lb the next week, nothing the week after (this weekend) then 1lb a couple of days after.

Just stick to plan and slowly start exercising again and you will start to rebuild any lost muscles and your body will balance back out. Normally I "fail" after being ill and can never get back on track but I think the important thing is to stick to plan as much as possible while recovering whatever the scales are doing. Also make sure you're getting all the nutrition you need - I'm exhausted from having swine flu - it takes a lot out of you, you will still need plenty of rest, water and lots of good nutritional food.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote