Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #1  
Super Girl

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation New. Ish. Really Long Post. Sorry.

OK. So I've got to start somewhere, right? And some of you know, after reading my intro's to just plain ol' 3FC, that this isn't my first time around the block. And that I'm REAALLLLLLLLLLY frustrated by this whole process of losing weight: I do eat reasonably well, I do exercise (not as much as I should. I know!), and I NEVER go back for seconds of anything or eat a box of Oreos/whole pizza/pint of Haagen Dazs in one sitting. So, in short, I don't get why I am where I am. And no, it's not a medical issue. Darn.

So, things need to change. They do. And that's OK. I'm not going to be making huge, life-altering changes too much. But I AM going to do a few things that I hope make a big enough difference to matter:
1. Weigh-in tomorrow and then not again for another month. Ish.
2. Exercise. Every. Single. Day. No excuses. And walking around the block? It doesn't count. The 5k that I'm going to run in October? THAT counts, as does every step that gets me to it.
3. Eat when I'm hungry. And ONLY when I'm hungry. I actually think this is THE most important thing. No, I don't go back for seconds, but sometimes, it's the firsts that kill a person. I eat when I'm tired or stressed, and that's really NOT healthy. But what to do instead? I don't know yet. HELP!!!
4. Good/Better/Best Choices. Every day. With everything that goes into my mouth. Especially when I'm tired or stressed. Yeah, Erin, you *want* 43 cookies. 2 would be good. 1 would be better. A handful of raspberries would be best.

Finally, I'm a little grouchy at 3FC right now. I wanted to blog about these adventures, but I CANNOT create a blog because it says my email address is already being used. Huh??????? Any ideas there? Maybe I created one when I was on 3FC years ago, but I don't remember. Is there any way, if I did, to reset my password or otherwise retrieve my account info?

Anyway, I know this is long. It is. But I KNOW I can't do this on my own. I can't. I NEED you guys.

Erin

P. S. I also started training for that 5k, posted it in the mini-goals forum, and got deleted. Seriously? It's a small goal, but it's one that I met: I wanted to start training for it by the end of June. I did. And that, to me, is a good thing.
SuperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/205/140

Height: 5ft 7in

Erin....

Welcome back!

Don't be so tough on yourself....this weightloss stuff is a journey, and every journey has some road blocks, wrong turns and bad weather! With the goals you've set for yourself, I know you'll get back on the track you're looking for!

As for your blog, I think there's a forum out there for "forum help". Maybe if you post there about resetting your password, one of the 3FC admins can do it for you? Other than that, do you have a secondary email you could use to set a new one up?

I know you posted about not going back for seconds and making the right food choices...but tell me more about the diet you're following? Are your goals around calories, fat, carbs? I'm following a calorie diet, and trying to stick to 1200-1400 calories a day....mostly made up of good carbs and proteins, with some fats, but only the good ones!!

Hope today is a better day for you!!
KimikoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #3  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

to 3FC, SuperGirl.

I agree with Kimiko. Don't be too harsh on yourself to begin with and set yourself unattainable goals. By that I mean making the rules so rigid that you can't possibly follow them, and then feeling like a failure when you don't.

For example, your goal of exercising every day is a noble one. But is it really going to happen? Life is out there, just ready to get in the way of your best laid plans. So the first day that you don't exercise, are you going to tell yourself you've failed in your plan?

Because you won't have! But you need to give yourself some wiggle room and make sure that you aren't setting yourself up for failure.

Best of luck.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #4  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi! I'm pretty new here, too, but I agree with the previous posters. Don't be so hard on yourself. One of the reasons that I've relapsed is that every time I "restarted," I tried to do it all at once. I blasted the exercise, I immediately dropped down to my goal calories -- and it was just too discouraging when I would slip.

I have two suggestions for you and you can do with them what you will.

1) Start out a little easier with your exercise goals. Sometimes all you'll be up for is a walk around the block. As long as you're not making that your ONLY exercise every day every week, you'll do fine. And you'll feel better that you've met your goal.

2) I see that you're only about 20 pounds above where you want to be. It's really easy to put on 20 pounds even with the eating habits you describe. A little extra butter when you cook something, a cookie here an there. You don't have to eat entire pizzas (or boxes of oreos or pints of ice cream) to put on 20 pounds. Don't let yourself fall into the trap that if you're not eating seconds and not bingeing you're eating well enough to lose weight. I'd recommend keeping a food diary for a few weeks at least and be very accurate about exactly how much it is that you're eating. Then you can evaluate if you're eating what you think you are. A few hundred extra calories a day is all it takes, and that's not very much. A glass of juice. A pat of butter -- and there you are slowly gaining.

Good luck with everything and stay in touch over here on the 30s board. It's a great place with supportive and knowledgeable people.

Last edited by Rebound; 06-15-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #5  
Super Girl

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanks

Those of you that posted re: my rant last night, thanks. I appreciate all that you said, and I can see where I was being a little rash. I am going to take your advice under care, give myself a little wiggle room, and really look at what I'm eating. I already know one place where "extra" calories are sneaking in: soda. I LOVE it, but it's got to GO. Can I just swap in diet instead?
Thanks again.
Erin
SuperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #6  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl View Post
Those of you that posted re: my rant last night, thanks. I appreciate all that you said, and I can see where I was being a little rash. I am going to take your advice under care, give myself a little wiggle room, and really look at what I'm eating. I already know one place where "extra" calories are sneaking in: soda. I LOVE it, but it's got to GO. Can I just swap in diet instead?
Thanks again.
Erin
There is debate as to diet soda hurting weight loss. But one thing I think is sure, diet may be worse than no soda, but it's a hella lot better than the calories in regular!

I'd switch to diet from regular. As you start to introduce more plain old H20 into your day you may find yourself drinking less diet soda. If so, great! If not, at this point I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you can cut out the calories from the regular soda you'll be much better off!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote