Working out, Weight goes UP

• I'm distressed about this. My mom says my stomache is going down, she can see it (and I can even see it a little and my favorite nightshirt doesn't pull across like it used to), but I've been sneaking around with the scale (which I promised I wasn't going to do because it makes me give up every time)! So I sneak onto the scale and it tells me I'm now 188 pounds!!!!!!!!!! (I started out 185 )

And it is VERY discouraging. Mom says "muscle weighs more than fat!"

Is this or did this happen to any of the rest of you when you first started trying to lose the weight? I could use some encouragement here. I haven't worked out in a week now (since I got weighed )

Thank you.
  • If you are sore, your muscles are retaining fluid as part of the repairation process. Working out is great and is key without a doubt to overall health and fitness but MOST of losing weight is on the plate! I am sure you watching this too though.

ETA: do yourself a favor NOW--measure!!! measure bust line, hips (the widest point) and waist (narrowest point)...also a good idea to measure widest point of calf and thigh...
  • I'm with Thighs, start measuring. You are probably retaining water, and that's why the scale goes up. The scale is only used to measure our success so much because it is the most convenient. However, your ultimate goal is to lower your body fat %, and exercising and eating healthy does that. Sometimes, the scale doesn't reflect that you are exchanging fat for muscle because the muscle does weigh more... just keep at it. You will see results.
  • I started exercising about 6 weeks ago. i really started a cardio and body scupt about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I initially gained and was so upset about it because I was eating less and working out more and so proud of myself. Stick with it and the weight will come off. It is frustrating but as mentioned above measuring and noticing in your clothing are very affective ways to notice your weight change.

What I have researched and found is that The myth is that muscle weighs more than fat. They weigh the same, muscle is actually more compact, which is why when you are in better shape you are smaller not larger. Also when you work out it tares tiny little parts of your muscle. These tares are repaired naturally by your body, however your muscles will retain water to help insure this process occurs. So it is possible the weight increase could be the water retention.

This is just a guess not medical advice...
  • A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, it just takes up less space so you can weigh the same and be smaller. Definitely measure yourself to see the changes, I know they are there! It takes time to build muscle, I don't know exactly how long but I know it isn't overnight. Much to my dismay...

Like Thighs & MoonRabbit already said, you are likely retaining water from the muscle exercise. Happens to me every time I make changes to my exercise routine or work out heavy. It will even back out.

Good luck!
  • I've got to agree with Mommyofsix. I have found that keeping track of what I eat in a little notebook is key to successful weight loss. Working out alone is not going to get you anywhere, unless you are an athlete or just want to maybe maintain. I was able to maintain a weight of 155 pounds for about six years. Every time I tried to lose weight, I would do exercise OR dieting, but never really both at the same time. I got serious about it after my weight skyrocketed to 201 pounds while I was pregnant. I never thought my body could adjust to any weight under 140 pounds. I used to think I just needed to accept that it wasn't physically possible to reach my dream goal of 135. Well, I made it happen within one year of starting my own WW at-home program. I started April 7, 2008. By the way, I seriously fell off the wagon for about three months so I could enjoy the holidays the way I always had. I gained about five pounds back, but it was just a minor setback. By that point my weight had climbed back up to 149 pounds. I realized in January that I wasn't too far from my dream goal and to go for it. Today I am 134, and I feel great. It's just a manner now of maintaining. I don't think I have ever been in this great a shape and it took having a baby and ten years to feel great about my body again. Good luck to you. Moms are very supportive, but I think if you wrote down what you ate and kept track, you will find the weight-loss preventing culprit.
  • Okay, here's the deal. The advice you've already received is really good, these ladies are smart, they know what they are talking about. I think a little research on what weight training does to your body is essential. It's important to understand what's up with your body. The body is a complex, interesting machine and understanding how different things affect it is important to losing and then maintaining a loss. If you're doing everything you're supposed to, then the weight will drop off. I expect to gain initially when I weight train, that's why I don't only do the scale, I measure too. Don't let this disrupt your progress, because you are making progress.

When you lift weights your muscles tear and then rebuild using some water. In addition to that, I'm sure that the carbs you use to power thru your workouts help to add a little more water. But again, don't worry about it. You're doing great.
  • Also make sure you are drinking lots of water- that will help with the water retention.

All this week I've gone back down from the four pounds I've gained from Easter, and then I worked out yesterday and went up half a pound- go figure!
  • Oh, thank you all so much. This is very new and great information!! Some of which I did not know. Yes, I suppose I will have to do some web research on it myself to find out more.
    But I think that's what my mom means about muscle weighing more than fat - that it takes more fat to equal that pound than it does muscle! So it's not a technical term really.

You have all helped me today. Thank you!

It's late in the day but I think I'll go work out!!! Thanks for lifting my spirits and putting me back into a positive attitude!
  • What great notes! I thought I knew a lot more and I learned a lot of new and very valuable things today! I hear you on the frustration of the scale. I am going to stay away from that damn thing for awhile and measure and try on clothes. My trainer said 80% nutrition and 20% fitness. And you are all right, if you are doing what you are supposed to, the weight will come off.

Thanks so much for the notes!!! I have enjoyed my lunch break reading these