3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   30-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings-57/)
-   -   Lets talk about Deoderants... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings/155170-lets-talk-about-deoderants.html)

PearFreak 10-29-2008 09:18 AM

Lets talk about Deoderants...

I have never been a sweaty person per se... but that has changed. Having my kiddos and going to the gym and working out sure makes me a .. err... sweaty. What deoderant(s) do you all use? Do they work to curb the sweat, or make you smell pretty or do you just live with sweaty yucky pits until you can shower afterwards. Please shgare... I don't want stinky sweaty pits... yuck-o. I want to smell pretty. :D

jillnicole03 10-29-2008 09:37 AM

Hello PearFreak :)

I actually am a sweaty girl! lol It's a bummer let me tell ya! I use Womens Degree and found this has worked best for me. I still sometimes have to apply it twice though. My friend who plays softball told me to get some, and been using it ever since. Good luck!

foxsealady 10-29-2008 09:46 AM

Well there are deodorants and there are anti-perspirants. Deodorants just smell good and do nothing for sweat. Anti-perspirants protect against wetness. There are AP/deodorant combos, which is a majority of what is sold, that work for most people. If the regular combos don't offer enough AP protection for you you could use a prescription strength AP. Secret makes one and Dove just came out with one as well. Since you're not a naturally sweaty person like me so you'll probably do well using Certain Dry. You put it on before you go to bed at night (this is consistent with all prescription strength anti-perspirants) and it will protect against wetness for 24 hours. I usually couple mine with a regular AP/deodorant in the morning. Keep in mind a couple things if you decide to get prescription strength. First, it costs about 3 times as much as regular AP/deodorant. Second it may not be as effective for you as it may be for others. Everyone is different. If excessive perspiration becomes a problem for you, your doctor can issue a prescription. Hope you find this info helpful.

cher37 10-29-2008 10:58 AM

Well girls, I'm a very sweaty polack :) always have been, this last year has been really bad though - the moment I'm nervous about something, I'll soak through my shirt - arms & back (& bringing a 2nd shirt to work on occasion) ... when working out, well, sweating's a natural by-product so I go with it, and bring a med.size towel w. me to wipe my face during & lots of water.

Anyways..a bit off topic eh!

Deoderants - I'll put on an aluminum free deoderant (Adidas-cotton absorption) to help my pits 'breathe'. It works relatively well on wetness, excellent on neutralizing odor.

During the day definitely AP combo - depending on my hormones, I tend to rotate between: Degree for Women, Secret Platinum, and Lady Speed Stick.

NB. I tried the Secret Prescription strength - nothing spectactular to write home about - not worth the $18 IMO, and the clear solids (secret, mennen etc) do not work on me for wetness or odor control.

Good Luck!

grneyedmustang 10-29-2008 01:08 PM

I use Secret Platinum. I'm a heavy-duty sweater, and it works well most of the time. I do think that my body becomes "accustomed to" the deodorant after a while though, so I usually change brands after about three months and keep a "rotation" going.

Dove has been pretty good for me also.

kelly315 10-29-2008 01:19 PM

The idea of aluminum in deodorant scares me a bit, so I use a crystal deodorant stick. It is literally a crystal- sea salts in a stick, with ammonium alum as the thing to stop you from sweating. Works perfectly for me. There's no scent, so i just put on an extra splash of perfume.