Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 09:02 PM   #16  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Hi guys. I did the official weigh-in this morning and I lost another 2.5. That makes 5 in all. Yippee!!

PYRIA: I'm so sorry about the dental pain!! Congrats on being OP!! Hope you are better soon. We will miss you.

BPB: Hope the ice cream was yummy!! Yuck on the 9 days. I would be thorougly sick of it!! I hate the 5 or 6 I have to put up with. Hope it skedaddles soon!!

LYSSIA: Yep. I'm from Texas originally. In case Lauren laughing at me didn't give it away!! Here they call in Great Adventure but I can't get over the Six Flags habit. Makes me sorta homesick!!! JERSEY GIRLS CLOSE YOUR EARS: I really don't like Jersey sometimes. I miss the wide open spaces and just plain homeness of Texas. This really doesn't feel like home if ya know what I mean.

LAUREN: Nope, not gonna claim to be a native jersian!! Never gonna happen!! LOL!! We got season passes this year since long vacations are out of the question. Amazing how a puppy can do that to you!! We decided that it wouldn't be fair to go away and leave him in a crate 23 hours a day. We have a sitter but she only comes twice a day. So, till he can be trusted out of the crate, we stay home! He turned out to be so HUGE that I'm not really comfortable taking him to a hotel. Here's a picture. It's not even that accurate, it's about 4 months old.

http://www.apkweb.com/tripper.jpg

His name is Tripper and he's a border collie/lab mix. He's now 11 months old and he is a HANDFULL.

RR: Hope you feel better!!!! Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

Well, gotta go now. Hope you all have a nice evening.

Last edited by KarenK; 04-22-2002 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:23 PM   #17  

Oh boy you gals have been BUSY!

Pryia, I am glad you enjoyed the game and that you did so well on your snacks. Have you noticed how well the mariners are doing? :-)

Vicky, Oh my I am impressed that you are excercising through the dry heaves. I tend to get the dry heaves on there as well but it is usually from watching fear factor or survivor when they are eating something gross. I tend to get grossed out VERY easily.

Karen, Way to go on those jeans. That is absolutely AWESOME. I know you are feeling great.

Lyssalou, I am sorry your friend is in the hospital. I hope she is better soon.

Bailey, Send your resume my way, I will take a look at it for you.
I have to tell you that you have really been inspiring to add the running into my workout. You are so right, the smoking has to go. I have cut down about 5 -7 per day.

Lauren, GOOD LUCK AT THE INTERVIEW.

Liz, I hear you on working harder on the weekend. I feel like I didn't sit down all weekend. I have been taking a lot of time getting food type things ready for the next week. I find that if I am not prepared I just don't make very good choices.

BPB, Oh Strawberry Cheesecake icecream. MY FAVORITE!

Daphene, Way to go on the 5 &1/2 days on plan.

Doing well here. Feeling very motivated.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:46 PM   #18  

I'm home!!
We had a great trip.
We left the 4th, here is what we did by state.
MO, IL, IN, : Drove thru
KY: Louisville's new "Glass Works" gallery and studio
stayed with an old friend in Lexington
TN:drove thru
NC: looked real quick at a couple areas for relocating
SC: family stuff, suprise parties for m-i-l
Columbia's zoo
Charleston's new aquarium and the downtown area
GA: drove thru
FL: St Augustine (want to go back wonderful town)
did the Alligator Farm (cool)
did 6 hours of Disney (I had strep throat by this time)
Naples' did the show (good), loved the beach, loved our
hotel, loved the downtown galleries (want to go back)
saw the Manatee's (it was free that day for Earth Day)
GA: visited and stayed with s-i-l.
GA, AL,MS, TN, AR :drove thru on way home.

I won't weigh for a day or two. But I will mow the grass in the morning. And I'm working on about 20 loads of laundry.

- jul
Old 04-23-2002, 10:15 AM   #19  

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....rough day at work and it's only 10 am. Did I say no alcohol this week??? I might have to go back and edit that.

<<venting....>>

I just love working with the Air Force. Especially when I'm the middle person trying to do something that I don't understand at all. We're trying to get a T-1 network line run to our building which is on an AF Base. Our corp office has already paid for them to get it installed from the outside world onto the AF installation and I submitted a form this morning to get them to run it to our office. By the way, I am not a computer person but since there's only five people in my office I'm forced to be one -- can you relate Bailey?? So after 20 minutes on the phone with someone walking me thru filling out the form I get it submitted only to get an e-mail from an AF jerk telling me he can't justify spending the money to run it to our building (there's only 1 1/2 year left in our contract). Don't ask me....I have no idea what the heck is going on. Now I'm gonna get stuck in the middle of this battle and I'm clueless. My resolution so far has been to forward the e-mails to our contact at the corp. office and I asked him to call the AF jerk and straighten it out. I want out of this loop!!

Sorry...others were venting about their job so I was hoping I could too.

By the way, I was surfing thru our local classifieds yesterday looking for puppies and while I was there I checked the job listing. Right there before my eyes was their "job of the week" and it is absolutely perfect for me. I don't know what the salary is but there's only one way to find out. I'm working on my stuff this morning (in between this computer crap) and I hope to post my application sometime today.

<<frosty cold Mich Lite is calling me...liz, liz>>
Old 04-23-2002, 11:00 AM   #20  
Donna

Hello Everyone

Just wanted to stop in and say that this weekend didn't go well program wise . So I'm with Pyria and starting over . I have decided to continue with the same goals until I can meet them and then add to them (at least I was close).

1) Journal everything the day it's eaten not two days later
2) Exercise 3 times a week for at least a half hour (only got in 2 last week)
3) Drink a minimum of 6 glasses of water each day (only missed on Sat.)

OK, that should do it WW is tonight so I'll let you know how it goes.

I can't remember who asked, but I'll be a "historical presenter" in trades and transportation. I'll tell the guests about what is being done in each building and how it worked in the past and stuff like that. Should be fun, I just wish it payed better I got spoiled working as an automotive engineer which paid well but I hated. We'll work it out.

Pyria - Here's hoping the root canal goes well. Good Luck starting over.

LBH - Hope the interview went well.

RR - I have a membership at the zoo here, also, but its a bit of a drive so we don't go that often. Glad you had a good time.

BPB - Bummer on the AF. Hope things get better for you. Don't worry about catching up just jump right in.

KarenK - Congrats on the 2.5 . I'm also a big rollercoaster nut, I've been trying to hit one new amusement park every other summer, but with the wedding last year we missed. Usually we hit Cedar Point at least once a year (it's a day trip). I understand about the dog thing, we kennel ours and it can cost almost as much as the trip sometimes. We're going to take them camping at the end of May to see how that works, they'll sleep in the van while we sleep in the tent. If it goes well we're hoping its an alternative.

Jul - Welcome back! Sounds like a lot of driving, glad you had a good time. I don't envy you the laundry .

Liz - Feel free to vent any time. Good luck meeting your goals this week especially since it sounds like it's gonna be a long one. Try a walk before the beer it might help (I don't know it sounded good).

debrat - 5 1/2 days is 5 1/2 days you can do it just one step at a time.

baily - Good luck cutting back on the smoking. It's not an easy thing to do I know, I watched everyone in my family going thru it (not all succesfully but that's another story). Hope the dog's ok.

Well this has turned into a novel again . I'll say bye now. Going to go sew 'til it warms up enought to go out and plant some stuff, the people who owned the house before us were big into evergreens which I'm not, so I want to do some re-organizing and planting. And I can't remember who was complaining their house was 15 years old, ours is 65 (built in 1937) and my last one was even older! Imagine the things that go wrong here .

Now I'm really going......

- Tech
Old 04-23-2002, 11:10 AM   #21  

I went ahead and got on the scales this morning. I was up 2 lbs.
Not bad considering all the sitting and eatting. I did walk as much as possible but it wasn't enough.

It rained this morning so I can't mow yet. Going to keep plugging away at the laundry.

- jul
Old 04-23-2002, 11:13 AM   #22  
Donna

I forgot:

Lyssalou - Your gumbo sounded good, I find really good recipies in cooking light and they have a decent web page (http://www.cookinglight.com). I subscribe to the magazine and make probably 2/3 of our dinners using their recipies. You have to be careful because while they lighten the recipies they may not actually be low fat. I can't imagine doing a no fat pie crust, I wouldn't think it would stick together at all but just turn into glue. I have done one of their low fat pie crusts I think it had about 3 Tbs of butter only, I'll see if I can find it and let you know.

OK I am really going now....

- Tech
Old 04-23-2002, 11:54 AM   #23  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone!

I always feel so guilty when I don't have time to respond to everyone - I couldn't believe the number of new posts!! I just wanted to check in and get some motivation. My husband and I have still been slacking a bit in the diet area for the past while (too long). I'm happy I'm not gaining any back but I really wanted to be slimmer for shorts season. And I still haven't given up! I'm generally good during the week and particularily during the day but lately - too much splurging. I know I keep saying the same things but I figure if I just keep coming here and don't give up I at least won't gain it back. I mean I've lost 20 pounds since last year at this time but my highest weight (a few months before) was more like 30 pounds more. So you'll just have to keep listening to me since I DON'T WANT TO GAIN IT ALL BACK!!

Lyssa - I would love your gumbo recipe if you don't mind sharing it. I also can't cook with seafood so your recipe would be great!!

Tech - I'm going to check out the cooking light website too. My mom sometimes buys the magazines and then passes them on to me and I really like the recipes, although it's true that they're not always low on points.

Pryia- good luck with the dentist (where I'm heading today hopefully for a pain free visit). I had 2 root canals last year (not the most fun) and the pain before they fixed the teeth was unbearable. Also good job with the game. I also feel every day is a new day and it's too easy to say I had a bad meal or bad day or bad week so let's just go for it but we can't do that!! Keep up the good work.

Bailey - you always inspire me. Still haven't gotten on the treadmill but I think eventually if I keep reading about how good you're doing, it'll kick in for me. I'm also looking for a career change or at least a job change so we're on the same wavelength!

Sorry no time to respond to everyone but I'll try to check in more often.

Have a great day,
Elisa
Old 04-23-2002, 05:04 PM   #24  

Hi all - I am back!! I am oh so busy & will get caught up soon - I hope!

Rabbit
Old 04-23-2002, 05:35 PM   #25  

Hi all!!! I have been extremely worried that my work-out wasn't raising my heartrate enough to do me any good. So today I decided to really push myself on my work out to see if I could get my heart rate closer to my target, and boy did I get it higher. Then I realized that I was not figuring out my heart rate correctly. I was taking my pulse, and multiplying that by 3. Ok, now you all know the truth, I am not a math genuius. I have been much closer to my target this whole time than I thought, and today a severly overshot it. I guess I will survive, and I won't worry about my choice of exercise anymore.

Gumbo Recipe

1/2 c. flour
dash of garlic powder, cajun seasoning, salt, cayenne, onion powder

1/2-1 c. pictsweet seasoning blend veggies (onions, redpeppers, celery, etc.)
1# bag of Gumbo veggies (pictsweet brand- okra, corn, redpeppers, onions, etc.)
1# fish (I prefer polock)
1 can diced tomatoes
above seasonings to taste. (I made mine bland, and then put cajun seasoning and cayenne on the table so the kids could eat it too.)
Cooked Rice.

Mix flour and spices, and brown over medium heat stirring continuously until it reaches your prefered roux color. Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook says to the color of a new copper penny. This will take sometime, just as making roux with oil takes, but it doesn't pop on you like the oil version does. Also, you can't walk away, or it may burn on you. Let it cool. Add veggies, and begin to sautee with the "roux". I sauteed until the veggies were mostly thawed. Then add tomatoes, seasonings, and fish, and enough water to liberally cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until done(BHG cookbook says 20-30 min. I suggest a little longer so the flavors meld). I recommend using slowcooker, or if you have it, the Air Core walk away cookware (that is what I used). Serve hot over cooked rice.

Elisa - You could always look for healthy ways to splurg! Diet sodas, Blue Bunny Fat Free, No Sugar Added Icecream, Tostitos baked (NOT WOW) chips with salsa. Limit how much you eat though of even the healthy things, because they are not calorie free, just lower calories than the other alternatives. That is how I keep from feeling deprived and still stay near my goal calories.

Tech - I am going to experiment with using egg whites instead of butter or oil. Yes, it sounds crazy!!! I don't do what is normal, sometimes it is a success, and sometimes it fails!!! But it is always fun!!!

Liz - Well, a light beer (12 oz) is only 99 cals, and no fat. Where as regular beer is 146 cals, Wine is 74 cals for 3.5 oz. and Whiskey is 105 calories for 1.5 oz. I just thought the facts would help you make an educated choice. (personally, I have decided to avoid it all until I loose all of my weight, except for special occasions. It is not worth the calories I would have to spend to drink on a regular basis!)

Jul - Welcome back. Sounds like you had a world wind trip with a lot of driving through. Gaining 2 lbs. is not bad, and that could always be simply water weight, and nothing more. You will loose it soon I am sure.

Nanci - Glad all is well. Glad you are posting, and yes, this place is hoping!!!

Karen - Hooray for the continued loss. Where are you from in Texas? Great state isn't it.

Pryia - OUCH. I am very sorry you are in pain. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Sending you big hugs!!!

Daphne - How sweet it is to have little nick names given to you by a loved one. My late stepdad always called my mom "Munchie" ; short for munchkin cause she was short, and he was 6'4", and he called me "Junior" because he thought I was so much like my mom. I thought it was cool, and yours are cool too!!!

Bailey - Too cool on the home loan. I hope you find something spectacular for what ever money you end up spending. Wow, working for Dad must be difficult. Especially when he is to busy to discuss your projects with you. Are you working in the Psychology field? Good luck (I think I already said it before) looking for a new job. I would look at your resume, but I don't think I would be of much help. Dh is the one who is good at that sort of stuff.

Rabbit - If you can't get caught up, just pick up from where we are now. Welcome home.

Last edited by lyssalou; 04-23-2002 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:07 PM   #26  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Pryia--Hope U R better!!!Good luck at the dentist!!!

Jul-your trip made me tired to read!!!!!Hope the laundry is moving right along!!!

Just a quickie post..Hello to all!!!I have a sick child..no symptoms except for fever 101axillary and irritable...I wish she would talk and tell me something...also daycare reported lice in some child today soo I will deal with that too..Hmmmmm...I wish they would see twins next Monday on the sonagram????NOT!!!!!!
Have a good one!!!
GO REDWINGS!!!!!!
Vicki
Old 04-23-2002, 08:33 PM   #27  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Hi all!! Just a quickie. I'm at school and the instructor is a @#@#
So far, OP with 6 points left over. I'm looking forward to a snack when I get home.

OOPS, gotta go!!
Old 04-23-2002, 09:51 PM   #28  

Gosh, food is good. Love the stuff. Must stop eating so much of it

Exercise is going great, am cutting back on cigarettes just need to refocus on food and H2O and get this darn diet coke monkey off my back! Maybe if I start smoking crack, all this stuff that is so bad for me will be easier to give up. Really, don't worry - wouldn't even know how to get the stuff let alone WANT any. Went to the dr for physical. Said I was cutting down on smoking. He took off running with the "Q" word. So, now I am supposed to pick a date, start the wellbutrin, etc. Hmmm. Will have to review the pros and cons of this one. (like that's a tough one to figure out!). Today is my flybaby day to vacuum, sweep, dust etc the whole house. This is the first week I am trying to get it done - 1/2 house down 1/2 to go. 6 cigarette's left......

Rabbit: Welcome back!!! Don't even try to catch up if you don't have time, just join us! WE MISSED YOU SO! Flylady has changed my life and YOU are the angel that introduced us! Thanks.

Pryia: Sorry about the tooth situation! Hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe it will be too sore to eat?

Karen: Congrats on the loss. Great pic of Tripper. I will have to learn more about these 'puter gadgets so I can post a photo of the monster.

Nanci: Wow you are doing so good. How much were you smoking (i.e., how much have you cut back)? My dr is supposed to be one of the best at Mass General and he was very clear that I, a pack-a-day addict should follow the welbutrin plan, taking the meds for 7 days before my "Q" date, then doubling the dose on day 8 and slapping a patch on the ole arm (he said a "21" patch, don't know what that means). I guess this is all for the physical addiction so that you can focus on the psychological and behavioral aspects until you are ready to deal with the physical part...Hmmm. Great that you are running - if you feel like it, come post with Liz and I. Keep that motivated feeling alive!

Jul: Welcome home! The trip sounds great - I hope the shows went well (lots of orders with plenty of time to be filled!) Good luck with the laundry. Don't worry too much about the 2 lbs - sitting in a car like that will make you retain tons of water (unless you drink tons of water, which most people don't due to the lack of facilities.

Liz: Sorry about the bad day. How about this for a plan - go get some non-alcoholic beer. Then toss a little tequilla in when no one is looking Just kidding - go ahead and have a beer, just make up for it with wise food choices. Feel free to vent anytime. Yeay on the job - hope it turns out. (Liz, Liz, LIZ) - you better go, that beer is sounding impatient!

Tech: Sounds to me like you are doing better than a little while ago, so I think you are doing GREAT with the program - Keep inching toward those goals and you will be there in no time. Hope all goes well at WI.

Elisa: Don't feel guilty! We love your company and are here to give you motivation. If you have time and feel like reading too, great, if not Just come share with us. That is great that you are maintaining without sticking to program - that is where I am too. However, I hope to some day get back OP so I can lose a few more - if not, I have already done great. Let's make a pact: We will NOT gain it all back and will make brave and valiant efforts to lose that little bit more. If the weather is nice around you, maybe you could try walking or running outside. If you can't find the motivation, maybe have the dh drop you about a mile from home with no wallet? Just a thought GL with the job thing. Come join us on the careers thread if you want. Everyone (but me) seems to really be gettin a move on!

Lyssa: Hey - maybe you should get a pedometer? They have a good one on sale at amazon.com right now that is only $30. It will do several things. 1) It will count your steps - that may help you focus on simply MOVING more, as your schedule does not lend itself to uninterrupted "Lyssa" time for a lot of structured workouts. You could pick a goal # of steps and just keep walking around the house (maybe straightening up?) until you reach it each night. 2) Some (including the amazon one) also have pulse monitors so you can monitor your heart beat. Pretty cool! LOL - 3.5 ounces of wine - Oh, that wasn't a joke . I am trying to stay away from the stuff until I reach goal myself (trying, not succeeding). On the job front, I actually left the field of psychology about a year ago to go into the more lucrative world of business. May go back someday - right now I want to find something high-paying, but what I do now is no where near as rewarding as working with kids who really need the help and trying to find answers as to WHY some kids have things so tough.

RR: Oh, give the poor darling a kiss for us all, then spit out the bugs - Hopefully, she will be feeling better soon and you won't have an infestation. What would you say to triplets?
Old 04-24-2002, 12:24 AM   #29  

Holy Cow! We are busy here.

Karen, I just have this mental picture of you sneaking in a post while in class.

Jul, Welcome back! We missed you. I am glad that it went well.

Liz, Sorry work was not fun today. Good luck on the new opportunity.

Tech, Good job getting back on track.

Elisa, Sometimes it can be so hard to stay focused. Just keep thinking of those shorts.

Rabbit, WELCOME BACK. We missed you lots.

Lyssalou, The Gumbo sounds great. I am going to give it a try.

Vicki, Sorry to hear about the sick child. The lice sounds icky. My head started itching just reading about it.

Bailey, What did your Dr say about wine and the welbutrin? I usually smoke about a pack a day. I have cut back from that.

We just got back from the track. I was able to drop my time by 4 minutes. It felt pretty darn good. The dog gets so excited to go with us it is very cute.

Night all
Old 04-24-2002, 07:03 AM   #30  
A princess in the making!

Talking Good Morning!!

Well I had the root canal. There was NO Pain!! I mean it, not during or after. My jaw feels wonderful. The dentist was great. He is a specialist and all they do is root canals. Did not even feel like I was in there for an hour. I am so glad it is over. And now that I know it did not hurt. IF (and I do mean IF) I have to do that again, he is were I am going.

I am still OP, not sure what day. But I guess the way to look at it is I missed one day since 4-8-02. Which is pretty darn good.

This coming week I will work on the E word.

I will reply to everyone later---gotta go to work!
Closed Thread