3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   30-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings-57/)
-   -   Waving Hello (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-somethings/148239-waving-hello.html)

asaaan 08-04-2008 12:14 PM

Waving Hello

Hi all,

I found this forum a few days ago and am hooked. The first thing I did was read through the sucess stories. WOW what an inspiration those were.

A short Intro.. I am Sunita, a SAHM mommy to 4 kids, my girls Ashwina who is 9 and Avasha 6, and my boys, Neil who is going to be 4 and Samar who is turning 2 in Oct. I am of Indian origin but born and brought up in Singapore. We are currently living in Boulder, CO.

Now about the weight, I have been pregnant or nursing for the past 6 years and neglected my body. I was eating too much and just trying to keep up with the house chores and the kids.
The day I gave birth to Samar in 2006, I was 240 lbs. To say I was shocked is an understament. Still I didnt do anything till Jan of this year, when I joined a gym and started controlling portions and eating better.
I now weigh 186 and want to get down to 140 or a size 8.

I got to know about Nordic Walking and bought poles in March and am hooked. I NW 3 miles on weekeday(everday) and abt 5-7 miles on weekends. I get up at 6.30a/m to walk with a friend.

Thanks for reading that :)

hollymommy 08-04-2008 01:51 PM

Welcome, Sunita!! :welcome3:

What is Nordic Walking?? :?:

Holly

LBH 08-04-2008 02:48 PM

Welcome Sunita!! :welcome3:

asaaan 08-04-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollymommy (Post 2301075)
Welcome, Sunita!! :welcome3:

What is Nordic Walking?? :?:

Holly

Holly NW is walking with poles. You walk with a pole in each han. It burns up to 30% more calories than regular walking. Also you tend to get more toned since you are engaging your upper body while walking. There are videos on youtube.

lexi1975 08-04-2008 05:06 PM

Huge congrats!!! My co-worker's name is Sunita, she is from Guyana.
I am interested in those poles. Where did you buy them from?

asaaan 08-04-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexi1975 (Post 2301398)
Huge congrats!!! My co-worker's name is Sunita, she is from Guyana.
I am interested in those poles. Where did you buy them from?

I bought mine from moosejaw. c o m. A good blog I read is nordic-walking-usa.blogspot add the com. My first pole was the Leki Supreme. I then sold it and upgraded to the Leki Traveller. Let me know if you have any more questions abt NW. I can send you more links and info if you want

hollymommy 08-05-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Holly NW is walking with poles. You walk with a pole in each han. It burns up to 30% more calories than regular walking. Also you tend to get more toned since you are engaging your upper body while walking. There are videos on youtube.
Thanks, Sunita. That is a good idea! I will have to check into it!
Holly

guppy23 08-05-2008 08:57 AM

Hi Sunita!

I'm new to the boards too. It sounds like you and I have similar "stats". I'm 5'6", 186lbs (184.5 this morning!) and I want to get to 145lbs. I'm also a SAHM although I only have 2 kids (girl, just turned 3 and boy 21 months).

Your nordic walking sounds like a lot of fun. Good for you! I'm working on getting up early to work out - I'd have to get up around 5:50am.

Congratulations on the weight you've lost since the birth of your son. Good luck with reaching your goal!

~ Marianne

fergi 08-05-2008 07:21 PM

:welcome:

Fergi

Lots to Love 08-05-2008 09:57 PM

Nordic Walking sounds like something I could actually do unless it requires a ton of coordination. I am very clumsy. Anyway, what advice to you have on getting out of bed in the morning. About 1 1/2 years ago I used to get up every morning and walk for at least thirty minutes. I've lost that motivation and cannot get it back. I'd have to wake up at 5:00, be finished by 6 to give myself time to get to work. Now, when the alarm rings - I snooze! Any helpful hints would be great!

asaaan 08-06-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lots to Love (Post 2303501)
Nordic Walking sounds like something I could actually do unless it requires a ton of coordination. I am very clumsy. Anyway, what advice to you have on getting out of bed in the morning. About 1 1/2 years ago I used to get up every morning and walk for at least thirty minutes. I've lost that motivation and cannot get it back. I'd have to wake up at 5:00, be finished by 6 to give myself time to get to work. Now, when the alarm rings - I snooze! Any helpful hints would be great!

I have been tempted to hit the snooze button as well but the thing is I have a partner waiting for me. My neighbour and I have been going together and that stops me from going back to sleep.
I dont know whether thats possible for you.

PearFreak 08-06-2008 01:45 PM

Welcome!!!!