Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #16  

Sorry to just pop in, but the title caught my eye too
I've had a definite idea of my tattoo for when I reach goal -- my son's names in script, one outlining each side of a heart with a rose/flower in each "heart point" to seperate their names. So tell me ladies, I'm VERY curious -- how painful are they really? My sister has a few but can't seem to explain it to me -- I'm no wimp (2 babies born/no drugs) but just want to be prepared when I drop my 100 lbs and get my little "gift to myself". And, how do you find a good shop to do it?

P.S. -- you all have awesome artwork going on
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 204/204/150

Height: 5' 10"

Great thread!
I have three tattoos and have been itching badly for a fourth - I just need to find or draw the right design and then there's the all important decision of where to put it.
I have a rose with a ribbon around it over my heart - it was my first almost ten years ago! Wow!
I have a flower band around my right ankle and another flower with "Hawaii 2005" on my left ankle - my brother took me that year and I wanted to bring something from the island back with me!

Shelby897 -
As far as pain - I think it all depends on your tolerance. Some people have said it's the most painful thing they've ever done - others didn't mind it at all.
The first one hurt but when I went back to have it recolored about a year ago - it wasn't nearly as painful as I remembered.
In my experience, it starts out painful, but if you're tense every time the artist touches you, you'll clentch and forget to breathe. I just close my eyes and relax - listen to the music they have playing and just think how great it's going to look when it's done. After a few minutes I think it just sort of numbs and all I can hear is the buzzing of the needle.

I think placement also has something to do with it.

As far as finding somewhere to have it done - shop around for sure! I've been to a few different places and have been very fortunate to have a good experience at all of them. I think that since tattooing has become so popular, the shops have been much more regulated. The places I've gone are very clean, you can watch them set everything up, they don't open the new blades until they are ready to use them. All in all a great expierence.

I can't wait to get another!!
AngieH75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #18  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

i have one! an angel on my ankle. my grandfather gave me angel figurine the day i was born and another when i turned one. he died later that year so every year on my birthday my grandma gave me an angel on my birthday in remembrace of my grandfather! i have a very nice collection!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #19  

If you have given birth, and without a selection from the drug cart, don't worry about it. It hurts about as much as a cat scratch. I have heard some people go on about the PAIN, but I think it's like birthing stories. You look like a bigger hero if they heard you screaming all the way in China. I just close my eyes and breathe slowly...

Good luck! Remember they are addicting. I know everyone says that, but it is true.
busysinglemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I want one when I reach my goal weight. I want to put it on my hip/ lower stomach area, not on the hip bone though. I plan on getting a stargazer lily with a lady bug on one of the petals.

I'd love to do a full back piece. I have an angel picked out that would look awesome, but I think I'll start a bit smaller.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #21  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

You are all inspiring me. I never really knew when I was going to get it...just that I know I wanted it. But I love your idea about it being a goal weight reward. So, once I get to my goal, that is when I am getting it. 38 pounds to go!
momof4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #22  
Magically Delicious!

S/C/G: 132kg/122/80kg

Height: 175cm

I have 8. right now dont know where my pics are on the computer. I am planning on a full sleeve when I reach my goal.
DaDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #23  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

broadabroad: Your tatoo of the peacock feather is absolutely stunning!! That is SO pretty.

shelby897: I think pain does depend on the person who is getting and the person who is giving it. When I first had mine done, it was more of an annoying feeling that painful. (The parts closest to my squishy sides hurt more than along my spine - but I have always heard others say the spine hurts more). Then, when I went to have it 'touched up' a year later, I went to a different place, and the guy was NOT gentle about it and it hurt. But that was 8 years ago - and it hasn't faded.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 237/232/157

Height: 5'7

I also have a "tramp stamp" lol...I got it when I was 19 (I'll be 31 in a couple of months YIKES!!!!). I went with a friend of mine and picked mine out in the waiting room (obviously a huge decision...hahaha). I chose a little tropical fish on my lower back towards the left hip. I would like to add to it, once I decide what to do with it.
2 years ago I got my second tattoo, a tribal-style sun, in the middle of my back, between my shoulder blades. I love that one, but no one sees it, since I don't go bare-armed, EVER.....so I am on my way to losing the weight so I can show it off...lol.... They are totally addictive, and I am getting my third one in a couple of months. I really want a butterfly on the back of my shoulder (again, another one to show off when I lose weight). I'll post some pics later, not available right now.
agathachristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have four tattoos, and my nose pierced.

I have a "tramp stamp" but I completely shied away from anything involving butterflies...because that is what most "tramp stamps" usually are on all of the ladies in my area. In my area as well, they are called @$$ hats....

I have:

~a black design on my chest/breastbone...right on the bony part above the cleavage.

~Ivy wrapped around an ankh (Egyptian symbol of life)on my right thigh.

~On my lower back I have a large sun. The outline/rays are done in jet black, and the center of the sun is red. In the center of the sun, is an Egyptian eye, with an orange pyramid behind it.

~On my lower belly I have a very small "Woodstock" (bird from Peanuts) that I got when I was only about 19 or 20. It won't be around too much longer, however. It will be covered up with something else when I get to goal.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 AM   #26  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I have three so far...on my upper right thigh I have a blue butterfly sniffing at a rose. I picked that one from the tattooist's book ten years ago, and I liked it because it looked feminine. I'd like to get it "updated" by adding something to it someday to make it my own. Just above my left ankle I have a multi-colored butterfly, which I got because, to me, it represents freedom. My latest, just above my right ankle, is an inukshuk, an Inuit symbol because that is my heritage. It is flanked by a snowshoe and an ulu, an Inuit carving knife.

I love tattoos and find them addictive, too. When I get the chance, I want to get a small violet put on the nape of my neck. The violet is my mother's birth flower, and it is my way of a tribute.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickybird View Post
I have a tiny blue dot on my big toe. My friend dared me to get it. I tall people it's a Smurf mooning them,if they ask what it is.

Hahaha!! Too funny.

That's about the most I'd ever get, myself. I'm too chicken about the pain. Dh wants to go with his brothers and get them sometime. Don't know if he'll really do it or not.

I'm just a wuss, lol.

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #28  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I have 4... but I've been tattooed more than just 4 times.

I have one on my upper left breast - that was my first one and it needs some assistance now (it's about 18 years old!). It's from Depeche Mode's Violator album - blue rose with D and M on each side. They are still my favourite band (and I met them about 3 weeks after I got the tattoo) so I'm still very happy with it. It's just wee bit faded now.

I had a tattoo gone wrong on my back, so I had a cover up done, but now I hate that tattoo as well... so my brain is churning trying to think of some ideas to give my tattoo artist so he can fix me up.

I had a tribal sun on my left arm. I've changed this into an almost-half-sleeve of beautiful, colourful flowers and the sun is changed a bit into a blue flower. That whole transformation took 5 sessions and 12 hours to complete.

I have the chinese symbol of "friend" on my left ankle. Funnily enough, I got this 3 weeks after I met my boyfriend. We actually went together and got the same tattoo. We were just friends at the time, but we already knew we had a pretty deep connection.

I definitely agree that it's hard to have just one tattoo. I don't think I will stop getting inked for a while and I'm almost 40 years old... I am so amazed by beautiful (and not so! but they are personal choices) ink work that I see and it inspires me to want more

Last edited by PinkyPie; 04-26-2008 at 06:35 AM.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 298/ /190-185

Height: 5'5"

I have 8 tattoos. Some of them mean something and some I just like. They are very addictive. I hadn't thought about getting one to symbolize my weight loss. I have. My last one was in August of 2004. My next one has to be for my 3 month old son since I got 2 for my 9 yr. old. Then, maybe I will get one to symbolized my weight loss. Hopefully it will still be off. Let me know if anyone has any Ideas about what to get for a baby boy.
darlingnicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 299/276/180

Height: 5'7

I intend to get one. Not sure when that is going to happen, but I hope that I can keep it at one. lol
Sapphdia is offline   Reply With Quote