3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 30-Somethings

30 Something's Thanksgiving Weekend Chat: Nov. 22-25

Old 11-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #16

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

Lisa ~ I agree... I just don't get the whole Black Friday thing. It would have to be a heck of a deal to get me out in the crowds. And, it was that great of a deal no doubt they'd be out of it by the time that I got there LOL. It's nuts. That is definitely *not* what Christmas is all about.

I've gotten so much accomplished today! Turkey is in the oven and meal preparations are under way. I finished painting my living room and it looks gorgeous. I went with Behr's "rich taupe." It's a great color as so many other colors go well with it; red, yellow, black, deep green, etc., etc...

Lauren ~ your tabletop decorations sound lovely. Now I'm curious about those sugared pecan candles... Too funny how early you got everything:-). Glad that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving in your new home.

IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #17
Lil' Momma

S/C/G: 180/173/115

Height: 4'11"

Well everyone, we survived our black Friday shopping. I got most of my shopping for DH done but that's about it. We hit BestBuy and Target early early and then went and had b'fast at Cracker Barrel. My b'fast wasn't low fat or low cal but I left more than half of it on the plate and only had one biscuit. I was pretty proud of that. After that we went back to my Mom's house for DS to have his morning nap.

We went back out this afternoon after some turkey sandwiches w/ left over sweet potato casserole and pea salad. Hit a few more stores and of course most of what we were looking for was long since gone but I was surprised at how many retailers gave rain checks. So, I've got about 6 rain checks to redeem for some great deals in the next few weeks.

I know you all think I'm crazy but my Mom and I are shopping fanatics and for us this is the best day of the year!!

Hope all of you who work retail survived the day. I'm off to do some wrapping!!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #18

S/C/G: 138/106

Height: 5'2

Hello!
I am so happy everyone had a nice thanks giving.

Joan your living room sounds just right! how wonderful!

Well, thanks giving at my house was I guess great for everyone else, but for me, I had finished getting the last of the things Michael had asked me to do for him, like chopping some onions and other things so he could just get something cooked w/out preparing it so I did, timing was perfect, we were not stressed at all, all organized and fine. I came upstairs to shower and get ready, so I get out of the shower and I bent down to get a brush to do my hair and I couldn't come back up, I kind of brushed it off and thought oh well just a little pain, NOT! I finished with that and bent down to find a pair of shoes and again I couldn't get back up, but this time I just couldn't get back up at all, so I had to call dh, he came upstairs right away, I was in tears, I couldn't move, I layed on my bed, but not on my back on my stomach, why on my stomach, I don't know. He said no you need to be on your back w/your knees bent, well that was just like seriously impossible, Michael tried to help me turn around it took about 20 minutes to get me to lay on my back, the pain was excruciating, I was not dressed, I was just laying there in a lot of pain but my makeup was done!!! LOL. I finally got on my back, on top of the covers and I couldn't move after that, Michael called the pharmacist to make sure I could take different medication w/what I am already on (cymbalta) and they said it was OK, so I took some vicodine and I took what ever the told him on the phone and at 2:00 PM instead of being downstairs getting ready for the huge crowd we had, I was sound asleep, I didn't wake up until 8:00 PM when the medicines wore off, I was in pain again, I was able to go downstairs for a little while and say hi to the people that were still here, apparently they had a great time and the food was really good, I am so glad they enjoyed, but I am pissed I missed all the guests, I love to entertain and have people over. So the people that were still here said they were already planning for another day to come back so we can ALL enjoy including me! so I guess we are having a BBQ next weekend!!!! I am still in pain, not as bad, but I can't bend down or pick anything up, I spoke to the Dr. and she wants to see me on Monday if I am in a lot of pain still, maybe take x rays. I hope by Monday I am a lot better.
Fortunately fil is here w/Sean and helping a ton, he is the best! I am heading back to bed, the medicine is making me drowsy.
hugs every one!

Hanna
happy2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #19

S/C/G: 355/see ticker/265

Hanna I thought I was having a bad till I read what happened to you. Now it seems rather unimportant. Hope you feel better.

"Its amazing what one can do, when one doesn't know what one can do." - Garfield the cat.

Outland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #20

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

wow hannah...sorry to hear that. Is it your fibromalgia acting up...or something more? Sorry to hear you ddin't get to enjoy turkey day. Hang in there.

Lisa- i'm right with you...i don't do black friday. I find that most people are irritable and down right rude. Im not a shopping fiend as it is...adn then add cranky crowed people..ugghhh. No thank you. Besides...alot of my shopping does get done online. And for what i do have to run out for..i always try to do it on the weekday i have off (i hate crowded malls). You would think i detest people...but i love people...i just hate when people are cranky and crabby and rude...and from the few times i've tried to shop on black friday..that has been my experience. So i was happy i was at work..however, i would have loved to sleep in LOL. Work was good today...busy but no cracky people (they were all out shopping LOL).

Alright...going to be good and get motivated to go to the gym. I was suppose to go after work..however i forgot my sports bra and gym shoes...opps can't really do much without those two. So i came home and ate dinner..just waiting for din to digest some..then off to gym. Luckily they are open until 10.30. I must look like a real looser going to a gym late on a friday night LOL.

the monkeys make me do it
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #21

Height: 5' 7"

Hanna, I am soo soo sorry that happened to you. Alot of times stress in people with fibermyalga will manifest itself like that. There are 14 pressure points in a persons body (7 on each side) and when they flare up ~ it is pain like you described. It sounds to me like the ones in your back flared up. It sometimes helps my mom to get manipulated (streched and deep muscle massaged) at the earliest stages of that. During, all she can do is ~ take medicine to sleep and relax. Unfortunatly that is what she has to do.

GG, Luckily customers weren't too bad today. They will probably be worse tomorrow. You would be supprised at how many people go to a gym on Friday night. When I was in college I belonged to Bally's for a short time, and there were lots of people there. Then I joined St. James Club (local) and they were closed at 6pm. I guess it just depends.

4me, I am one of the best shoppers I know. It doesn't help me that I have a great discount where I work. But I have only ever once in my life have I gone shopping on Black Friday. (It was when I was engaged to my ex) There is a reason why it is called Black Friday and that is why I don't shop it. I am with GG on this one ~ shop on my days off during the week, unless its my store then I shop on the clock.

Well it is time to get my bottom to bed. I have a long day waiting on customers tomorrow.

Lisa
Old 11-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #22

well guys..i'm very proud of myself...i dragged myself (kicking and somewhat scream) to the gym...and i had an AWESOME workout. I started out walking on the treadmill at first..then i decided to try jogging. As i started i felt pretty good (breathing etc) so i told myself i'd try to run for 4 song on my ipod...i figures 4 songs at 3 min would be about 12 min. Well it ended up being that the 4 songs that came along ended up being pretty long...and when it was done, i looked at the time and i'd been running for 17.5 min so i decided i could withstand 2.5 more mins. So i ended up running for 20 min straight tongiht. I can't remember when the last time i did that. It felt great. I then proceded to work out on weight but what i've been taught by my personal trainer is to keep moving and keep the heart rate high...so i'll work on a part of the arms, then during the "rest" phase i switch to either leg or abs. Man i felt great...ended up working out for 1.15 hrs and then a nice 5 min cool down. I will probably be sore tomorrow...but man i am on an endorphine high right now. I think my body is finally wearing down. It may be tought to get to bed tonight..but its so worth it. I'm definately glad i got this gym membership. And yes i wast the only person there..althougth there were only about 10 of us in there..it was nice though..i could hog up machines LOL. alright all..going to try and get some rest.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #23

Height: 5'6

Morning All!! Sounds like everyone had a pretty good Thanksgiving 'cept Hanna...sorry girl!!! It really stinks that you weren't able to spend the holiday with your friends. Maybe it's a pinched nerve or severe muscle spasm....used to work for a chiropractor for 15 years and we had lots of incidents like you're describing...usually a couple of adjustments and muscle therapy would get the patients up and running, but with your fibromyalgia I'm sure your doc will get you back in shape. Hope you're feeling better!!

Well, Thanksgiving was good here. Went to parents and all my siblings were there, brother even came in fromTexas. Kids slept over so I could shop on Friday (DH had to leave for work at 5:30 am). Yes, I like to shop on Black Friday. I've done it every year and always get some good deals. Yesterday, I was after some video rockers for the kids...regularly 70.00, on sale for 32.00...can't beat that. Also, a 19" LCD tv w/dvd player for my girlfriend (she was with me) for her basement bar. Regularly 349.99, she got it for 199.00. Funny, we were pretty far back in line, and we got the last one...YAY!!! I ran down the aisle to get it (it was right next to the video rockers, how convenient!), and grabbed it real quick. She was like, "I could kiss you!!" and I said "You better invite us to the first Eagles game in January!!" Her husband is gonna be so happy when he sees it! Anyway, I used to go shopping with my mom when I was a kid, and I just think it's fun. It seems like there's always something I need...or maybe it's just tradition. Either way, I love it!

Today we will be getting out our Christmas decorations and putting them up. We have decided to put up a fake tree this year that I got on clearance for about 5.00 a few years ago. We've never used it...the kids are not happy because they love going to pick out the tree, etc. I do love the smell of a live tree, but not the mess, and we always seem to start sneezing when we bring a real tree in the house....we're thinking it aggravates our allergies. Another bonus is we'll save about 45.00....so that's pretty cool!!

Okay, gotta go work out. I skipped it yesterday, and I've probably put on about 4 pounds...ugh!!! But, it's once a year, so I'm back in the saddle again, watching my food intake

Have a wonderful weekend everyone...hope you all are abor to do something fun!

Pam
Old 11-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #24
Lil' Momma

S/C/G: 180/173/115

Height: 4'11"

Pam~

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only crazy person who gets out on black Friday. I was starting to think i was some kind of masochist or something for going shopping on that day. It's fun for me. My DH goes deer hunting, I go bargain hunting. He saves us money by putting meat in the freezer and I save us money on our Christmas gift bill. It's a give-give weekend!!

Got a text from DH this morning. He got two doe! I was very excited for him. It's the first time he's even seen anything all season because the weather has been so warm.

Well, must run, Mom is here we're taking her dog and my two to get home again chips
Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #25
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Hey All,

Well, yesterday we did pretty much nothing, but recover, all day. Today has been a slow start, but I did get the dishwasher emptied and reloaded...it's running now. Guess I should've let it wait until tonight, huh? I think I remember reading something about waiting until night time to run it?? Oh well, it was full, I wouldn't have been able to fit the dinner dishes in. I got all my "good" dishes put away in the hutch, displayed all pretty. THey're just everyday Pfalsgraff (sp?) dishes, but since we've been using white plastic dishes from Target lately, I call these my "good" dishes. Got the kitchen counter all cleared off and cleaned up too. I have to go see my mom later at the rehab, so I'll probably stop at her house and pick up some more stuff, like my scale!!

Hanna, I'm soo sorry about your Thanksgiving day! I sure hope you're back is feeling better soon!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #26

hi everyone!

sounds like lots of good thanksgivings a lot of us had...

hanna: im sorry sweetie you werent feeling well...how are you doing today?

all the black friday shoppers sounds like you had a lot of fun...its nuts out there and you all survived!

well...i have sad news

the evening of thanksgiving..which by the way went wonderfully at dominics program..it was really nice...that evening we stopped by marios parents house cause they have family here from guatemala..it was nice there too and we ended up leaving around 10, well around 3 am we got a call from marios mother saying the ambulance was taking his dad to the hospital..so mario went over there..his dad has a bad heart..3 years ago this christmas he was in the hosptial for 2 months...we had christmas in february that year..well..he is now gone..he passed away a little bit ago.i have the baby here, i dont want to take him to the hospital..so im wiaitng for marios sister to tell me when her flight will be here cause she lives in los angeles..it just went so fast...only about an hour ago did the dr tell mario his dad wasnt going to make it through the night then like 20 minutes later mario called adn said hes gone but they are keeping him on the ventalator till his sister can get here...ugghh..this christmas isnt going to be so great...i am feeling guilty that i didnt take the baby up there to say goodbye, even though he wouldnt have realized what was happening..but i didnt want him to see his grandfather like that with tubes and everything...so guilt is setting in and i need to put it aside cause mario is on his way home to take a shower..

well this turned out longer than expected..sorry guys..i hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #27

Height: 5'6

Christina~
I am so sorry for your loss...no words can ease away your pain, but I will pray for yours and Mario's comfort. I personally think you were right to not take the baby. He didn't need to see his grandfather on machines...he got to see him at a joyful family celebration. Maybe you and Mario can take comfort in that...that he spent his last evening on earth with the ones he loved.

God bless your family, girl.
Pam
Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #28

S/C/G: 355/see ticker/265

Christina

"Its amazing what one can do, when one doesn't know what one can do." - Garfield the cat.

Last edited by Outland : 11-25-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Outland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #29
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Christina, I'm soo sorry. I believe you made the right decision regarding little Mario though, he doesn't need to have that memory of his grandpa. Hugs to you all.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #30

christina..sorry to hear...hang in there.

hannah - are you doing any better today?

today was slow at work...but was very proud of myself...i got up early before work and went to the gym...so it seems like this gym thing is paying off so far. We'll see if it makes a difference this weigh day

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.