Recipes Your favorite healthy recipes

Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #1  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Low cal breakfasty type brunch foods?

On Christmas morning, we usually have my parents over for a brunch after the kids have opened gifts. I normally bake those little sausages with some cheese inside of crescent rolls. Mom brings an egg casserole & we have monkey bread.

Another thread reminded me that this tradition will have to be changed - for me, anyway. Does anyone have any similar recipes that would be lower calories than the above? Or even something breakfasty that is not similar but is really tasty?
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 380/175/150

Height: 5' 4"

I would suggest:

• poached eggs with whole wheat toast strips (spread with low cal margarine if you don't want them dry) - use the plastic wrap method for easier prep
• tomato salad (avocado with tomato, salt, pepper, and feta cheese - just enough avocado and feta for flavor)
• sweet potato scones (recipe below)
• a big pot of lovely hot tea
• a big pot of coffee
• a variety of sliced fruit

Sweet potato scones:

* 3 tbsp. butter (room temperature)
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 4 packets Splenda or heat stable artificial sweetener (optional)
* 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
* 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp. baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer. Add the salt and Splenda (if desired) and eggs. Beat again until well incorporated. Add the mashed potato and beat again until a bit fluffy and very well-blended. Sift the flour and baking powder into the potatoes and mix. Knead it to make sure the flour is incorporated but make sure not to over-mix it as it will make the scones tough. Pat the dough into a long, narrow rectangle about 1/2 inch thick and cut into 3 sections. Cut each of the thirds in half then cut each diagonally into triangular shapes. Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees C./425 degrees F. and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 20 minutes (until the edges are golden brown).

Splenda adds more sweetness to the scones without upsetting the balance of the moisture absorption of the sugar. Using Splenda allows you to enjoy the scones without jam, honey, or other sweet spreads and makes it possible to mainly taste the sweet potato without any sort of spread masking the flavor. If you'd like a more traditional-looking flat, crispy-topped scone, you can brush the tops (only - if the wash gets on the sides, they won't rise) of the dough with an egg wash.

This makes 12 scones. Each scone is 170 calories.

If you have a poached egg, one slice of wheat toast, a bit of the salad, and a scone, the damage for a brunch shouldn't be too bad. I'm guessing you could do the whole meal for 450 calories.

Last edited by screamingfatgirl; 11-03-2009 at 11:00 PM.
screamingfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/115/115

Height: 5.0

I recently made a really nice big frittata with eggbeaters, sauteed spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and a bit of goat cheese for a brunch. Everyone, including my "won't eat anything if its not fried or coated in sugar" MIL, loved it.

Essentially, you sautee some onions in a big nonstick skillet (If it has a plastic handle, wrap it int foil so it won't burn in the oven) that has been sprayed with oil. When they're starting to brown, add a lot of baby spinach. Let the spinach wilt, then add sliced sun dried tomatoes (I use the ones not packed in oil--just soak them in hot water for a while, then squeeze out the moisture to rehydrate them, and slice). Pour in eggbeaters (Maybe 1 1/2-2 cups, depending on your skillet size), let almost set, then scatter some small pieces of goat cheese (or whatever cheese appeals to you), salt and pepper. Pop under the broiler for the last few minutes to finish setting and brown the top. (Watch carefully so it won't burn!) Sprinkle with some fresh herbs, slide onto a serving platter, and slice.

Last edited by Teachyrchildren; 11-04-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Teachyrchildren is offline   Reply With Quote