Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Food loggers....

Do you ever get tired of writing down/logging every single thing you put in your mouth?

I'm so tired of writing everything down.. or well putting it into my fitday that it's going to drive me insane if I do it another day! I am also not a food planner, I just know my calories for the day, and divide them between meals and snacks, so right now I am just sticking with my calories at each eating time and not logging... anyone else do this and have it work, or should I just give myself time for a break and then go back to logging everything?
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I understand how you feel. There was a time that I felt that way but now, it is just a part of my day. When I first started, it seemed to take a good deal of time because I was having to find the nutritional information on my foods. Now that I have a long list of foods that I eat on a regular basis, it does not take long to log the foods.

More importantly, I find this a critical aspect of weight loss. For years I resisted logging my food and for years I failed at weight loss. I think the two things are related. I simply can not keep track of my intake without writing it down.

Of course, that is me and you are you. We are all different. I wish you every success in finding what works for you.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

It can really get tedious, but I know I get better results when I track every morsel....sometimes it helps me to remember that the extra effort is a special gift... to myself...and it won't be for ever...
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I started logging on Sparkpeople two years ago. There came a point when like you I was SO SICK OF IT. I wanted to fling the laptop across the room. So I stopped for awhile and just did a mental tally in my head, which was easy since I knew how many calories were in most things. It worked for a couple of weeks but then I guess I got sloppy, didn't want to tally when I knew I'd gone "over" and wasn't counting accurately and I regained quite a bit of weight. I have fought against logging for months, trying all kinds of other ways to lose without it. But once I started logging again (last month) the weight started coming off reliably again.

So for me, I just had to accept it. If you DO need a break, my advice is to make it a short one and as soon as you get into a stall or regain, get back to logging!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Oh, I can definitely relate to that. I took some time off of logging my food into the Daily Plate. It worked ok, for awhile. Then, as Lyn said, I got careless and wasn't "remembering" everything. I had to go back to it to make myself more accountable. It is a pain, but it certainly keeps me on track much better.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #6  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I don't mind logging. Actually, I kind of like it. Like time2lose, I've got a whole bunch of things I regularly eat all figured out and in my Custom Foods list on FitDay, so the whole process is a lot quicker than it was at first. It works so well for me that even if I hated it, I would do it, because it's proven to be the most effective thing I've ever done in losing weight, and I am totally committed to it. I don't want to have to lose all this weight again, and I'm pretty sure that would happen if I stopped logging my food.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I just came off a 17 day road trip with limited access to computer (I log at mypyramidtracker.gov) so I had decided ahead of time not to track while I was gone. It was such a relief to get back to logging my food and exercise to really see what I was doing. It was nice to take a break and just exercise as long as I wanted and not measure or track my food but will confess that it left me feeling very anxious.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #8  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I get tired of it but the alternative is worse. Fact is I might do OK not writing everything down but I rarely do well for long and when I'm recording my foods my slip-ups are a lot less frequent. Just a fact of life these days.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 11-03-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #9  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I do get a bit tired of it... but honestly i cannot trust myself to do it properly without it so the alternative is gaining all of my weight back! And that cannot happen so logging it is... sigh.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #10  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

See what works for you... if you start gaining it back, you'll have your answer as to whether or not you can manage without it!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

i totally get tired of it. I find that by dinner, I know how many points I have left for that day, eat what I'm supposed to and never write it down. Its a good thing no one else looks at my food journal because they would thin I'm starving myself!

If you're tired of logging and can have successful weight loss without, go for it. But be wary, like others have said...there is a lot of accountability in having to reread what you ate every day...
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

I make up my daily menus a few days ahead because I shop when I drive to the swimming pool (45 miles OW) and I want to be absolutely sure I have everything I need at hand so no excuses to eat something else. I do substitute sometimes, but rarely. I have never lost weight successfully without writing down my food. I use an old Lotus 123 program that does calculations and refer to CalorieKing for calorie count. I tried using the online programs but my way is much easier and faster. Plus I can make my grocery list right next to the menus and print it out.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #13  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I do sometimes but like right now it's driving me crazy that I can't log my food in. I have no idea how to read the labels here and unless I just eat steamed veggies for my entire stay then....I just don't know lol The few days before I left on my trip I didn't track either but I did know that I stayed within my daily limit since I plan my meals and snacks in advance.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #14  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I get very tired of logging and actually have been incredibly slacked for about three months with it. And my weight is showing the results. I've hardly lost anything and I'm now tired of that. So, it's back to Fitday for me.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I do hear you that food logging is a pain in the butt....BUT like others said, the alternative stinks. It also gives me a boost to know exactly where I stand how my progress is and maybe what else I need to increase or decrease during the day ya know? I'm not one for being faithful with things like that either but this time I am just making it a part of my daily routine PERIOD....I just have to...but i am with you on it being a pain sometimes!!!
readytobeme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote