Bobbi

S/C/G: 160/129/124

Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup
2 Qts. chicken broth (8 bouillion cubes + 2 qts. water) 40 calories
1.5 lbs. green cabbage, coarsely chopped (6-7 cups) 192 calories
28oz. can of diced tomatoes 140 calories
1 medium onion (3/4 cup) 132 calories
1 small green pepper, finely diced (3/4 cup) 48 calories
l large celery stalk, strings removed, sliced (3/4 cup) 30 cal.
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced (3/4 cup) 72 cal.
1/2 can tomato paste (3 oz) 75 calories
1/4 cup brown sugar twin
1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (1.5 lemons) 21 calories
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
salt to taste, I don't use because canned tomatoes and bouillion cubes are salty enough. I throw everything into one pot and simmer til done. Taste better the next day. You might have to tweak this recipe by adding more lemon juice or sweetener to taste.
I ladle the soup into 8 individual containers and freeze. Put a sticker on top of each container with the calorie count on it. (94 calories each) This makes a quick lunch with no mess and calorie counting. If I'm extremely hungry, I add a can of green beans, juice and all to the soup. This only adds 70 more calories
@ 164 total.

Beef and Cabbage Soup (This is really good!)
1/2 lb. 95% ground beef
1 cup diced onion
6 cups defatted low-sodium beef broth
1 16 oz. can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice included
2 Tablespoons tomato ketchup
4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
1.5 cups thinly sliced carrots
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
1 small bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 cup long-grain white rice (I use brown rice)
Spray bottom of a large pot with vegetable oil if you want the added calories, I use 0 calorie spray
Over medium-high heat, cook the beef and onion for about 5 minutes, breaking up as you fry it. Pour off or soak up fat with paper towels.
Add the beef broth and remaining ingredients except for the white rice, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes. Add the rice and simmer for 20 minutes more, until rice is cooked. Remove the bay leaf and serve. I throw the brown rice in at once with the vegetables, it takes that long to cook brown rice.
Nutritional information per cup: 90 calories, 1.1 g fat, 7 g protein, 13.2 g carbs, 10 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium.
Lean suggestion: Ground all white meat turkey can be substitued for the beef. You can also substitute chicken or turkey broth for the beef broth.

Last edited by Bobbolink : 11-02-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote