Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #1  
I'm A Work In Progress!

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Water

How much water do you drink everyday?

I just can't seem to force myself to drink that much water. It just doesn't interest me that much. I mean, I could force myself to drink it, but it's really difficult to drink it when I don't really like it.

Do you use anything to 'spice' it up? I could use lemon juice or whatever, but even that tastes kinda funky. What do you suggest? Upping my water intake a little bit each day?
alyssamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you tried experimenting with temperature?

My golden bullet in terms of water consumption was making sure I was drinking it at room temperature or warmer. Cold water makes me COLD, and it doesn't taste as good to me. So play with iced, room temperature, warm...see what works for you.

You could also try adding herbal tea bags in...no calories, but lots of flavor.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #3  

My feeling is if you have to force yourself to drink water, you're drinking too much water.

I drink almost no water at all. I drink splenda sweetened teas and diet sodas. I only drink when I want to. And I've maintained an over 60 pound weight loss doing so.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with drinking water. And I really do believe that if you are underhydrated it will hinder your weight loss goals. But I firmly believe that the belief that over hydration a key factor to weight loss is a myth. And weight loss is plenty stressful enough without worrying about some thing that really doesn't matter.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 10-30-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #4  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

The tea bags are a great idea! I drink ALOT of regular unsweet tea. So it would be a way to spice it up.

Something I have noticed about myself is that I dont drink much water if I just have a regular glass BUT if I have a sports bottle that I can just squeeze in my mouth I drink SO much more. I think it just entertains me or something. haha

I try to drink atleast 100 ounces. Theres a saying that you should drink half your body weight. nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm Try that! =)
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I get the sports bottle thing...I drink it out of a straw all the time, it seems to go down faster and easier.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I don't worry about my water, and from the research I've read, hydration IS important, but we can get our liquids in many forms -- including the food we eat. I think that sometimes we tend to overemphasize water AS water for hydration's sake.

Now, some people love drinking water! It makes them feel full, or keeps them from eating, or they just like it. That's great!

But if you're worried about trying to get more in because you think you "have" to, I don't think you should worry too much.

Here are some links that talk about the fact that the notion we need eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (or more) is a myth.

This one is a link to a report of research by Dartmouth physicians
http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h...02_water.shtml
He concludes: "The universal advice that has made guzzling water a national pastime is more urban myth than medical dogma and appears to lack scientific proof, he found."

The original published research report is found at the bottom of that link. I should add that they note that their research "is limited to healthy adults in a temperate climate leading a largely sedentary existence". You do need to drink more when you get overheated.

And snopes is on board: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
They conclude: "The best general advice (keeping in mind there are always exceptions) is to rely upon your normal senses. If you feel thirsty, drink. If you don't feel thirsty, don't drink unless you want to.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #7  
I'm A Work In Progress!

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

I lol'd when I read VernDern's because sports bottles ARE entertaining! Well, I know exactly what you mean.

I LOVE drinking from a straw. I don't know what it is, but I love it. Maybe that would help. And I love tea. So, I'm going to try that.
alyssamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #8  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I try to drink 8-10 glasses a day including my green tea too

With my meals, I always have a glass of water next to it. Taking sips between bites helps me gauge how full I am.

I think there are a lot of 0 calorie crystal light packages you can shake with your water .... I haven't tried those before though =)
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:27 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I just want to add that I'm a person who almost never "feels thirsty," but I try to drink water on a schedule so I drink 64 ounces a day. The reason has to do with the kidney stones I developed a few years ago.

My urologist said that by definition, people who get kidney stones aren't drinking enough water.

So, I can't rely on feeling thirsty to dictate when I drink, or I wouldn't drink enough. And I can tell you that a kidney stone will make you a believer in drinking water!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 137/137/115

Height: 5'

I've tried the crystal light packages you shake up in your bottles water. They're ok. My dd loves them. I'm more of a plain cold water girl here. Other than coffee, green tea and beer...water is the only thing I drink most of the time. (I know the beer shouldn't be on the list. LOL)
heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #11  

I use the Hawaiian Punch powder packets. I get them at K-Mart and Walgreens. They are sugar free and 5 calories a piece. I love them. They don't taste diet at all. I could not stomach the Crystal Light ones.

I drink about 5 or 6 bottles of 16.9 oz water a day.
speaksoftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I do both....using herbal teas and sweeteners. can't stand the taste of water
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #13  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

I hear you - I'm not a fan of water at all. BUT I love Perrier...and I checked and it's definitely considered water, just carbonated. I don't drink anything hot, so for me it's pretty much Perrier (or club soda at restaurants) and diet Dr Pepper. The DDP is waay better than regular Dr Pepper - really refreshing.

And if you add lemon juice to Perrier, it tastes really good and it's great for your digestion.
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #14  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I didn't spice it up at all. I "learned" to like water, but now I'm a "water snob." I only like Dasani and Aquafina. I'll drink the others, but I just don't like them that much. :P
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote