Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Question A struggle with a reward

When I first started on this journey my husband asked me what I wanted as a reward - he just wanted me to get healthy. A little while latter I came up with the perfect reward for me. It was something I always said I would get if I won the lottery.

Lasik eye surgery. I HATE my glasses. I really hate wearing them while exercising. I hate wearing them in the pool too! (I can't wear contacts, btw)

My husband agreed with the reward - whatever it takes, he thought.

Well, here I am getting really close to my reward goal (75 lbs.. not my final goal.. but the goal we set) and thinking.. ouch. Lasik eye surgery is $4000!!! It would have to go on credit. Which my husband is willing to do. I would also love to get new flooring for the dining room and living room. <- which would be an investment in our home.

What do I do? My husband says it's up to me... but he really has no choice - no matter what he tells me - he loses, right?

Ahhhh... Am I being selfish by wanting the surgery??

Last edited by Charbar; 10-30-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I say get contact lenses. I hated glasses too but contacts are just like having perfect vision and it only takes a minute in the morning to put them in and 30 seconds to take them out at night. Yeah, I cant see real well at NIGHT but who needs to??? Maybe give contacts a try and see how you like them. You can usually get a free trial pair with an exam

***Oops, I saw you cant wear contacts... sorry. They do have all kinds of new ones now for things like astigmatism etc so not sure why you can't but maybe?

Last edited by Lyn2007; 10-30-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Contacts hurt my eyes. I've tried them multiple times over the years. I'd rather wear glasses
Old 10-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Oh that's too bad. Then I guess surgery is your only alternative. I don't think it's being selfish at all! Take some time to decide where the money would be best spent and go for it! It's so nice your husband is supportive.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar View Post

Ahhhh... I'm I being selfish by wanting the surgery??
I think it sounds like deep down you know it's the surgery that you really want. I think there's no way in *heck* it's selfish to get the surgery that you were *offered/promised* as a reward. You worked dang hard for it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Surgery, Surgery,Surgery!!!!!!! Do it, u have worked very hard to get to your goal and eye sight will be the perfect pay check!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #7  
No description available.

I got lasik about 4 years ago and I still marvel at the miracle of it. My quality of life has improved so much---and I do need to see in the middle of the night! There is NOTHING wrong with doing something for yourself. Your family loves you and wants the best for you too. If you can afford it, and it's what you've been working for....well, I'm glad every day I made the decision for lasik.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I would get the surgery- I think as women we put ourselves last and it's time to think of yourself first girl! You earned it- it's not selfish at all.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #9  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Get the surgery! You are worth it and you have earned it. The floors can wait.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #10  

I agree with everyone else. Get the surgery... And look at it this way... it's an investment in you eyesight! You will not need to pay for glasses again!

Elective surgery comes with buyers remorse, just like everything else with a high price tag. You'll feel better about it once you've lived with it for a few days/weeks.

And I might be a little backwards in thinking this... but if I had a reward with such a high price tag that my husband paid for, I'd make DARN sure to not put the weight back on! I'd feel too guilty! (but at the same time, you don't want to put it back on, right? )
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #11  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

I never even thought about putting the weight back on :O
Hey Kay.. GO PACK GO!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #12  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

ROFL @ the picture!!

I say surgery as well! Congrats to you on almost reaching your goal. I think it will continue to be a motivator and hey you only live once lol

I would LOVE to have it done as well but for now -- glasses for me as well.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:31 AM   #13  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

the cost of the surgery pays for the glasses in the long run. We had the surgery several years back, it was Soooo worth it! your contacts have grit on them, lasik is sooo much clearer.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/178/145

who cares what the floors look like if you cant see them without your glasses? i say get the surgery
nrz242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Four thousand seems really expensive. Make sure you check your health insurance to see if there is a discount or even if it's covered. Do you have vision insurance? The major laser centers usually have zero interest and pay it off over two years, etc. Also, you can check in Canada. I went there for dental inplants and I used to see ads for laser correction in Canada when the dollar was high against the Canadian dollar. But, the actual cost might still be cheaper than in the states. Even with travel it might be cheaper. You could also go to Australia, Europe, Asia but you would need to research online; I went to Poland for implants recently and am going back for crowns. Even with the travel it's still 1/3. The dollar is not very good right now, but you can look here http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic for the exg. rates. Heh, how about Paris? Most Americans think we have a wrap on health care but that's not the case. You can find high quality health care all over the world. Oh, by the way, I don't know how old you are but I read they have a new procedure if you are near AND far-sighted they can do the correction without you having to wear glasses to read.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote