General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #1  
Ceci n'est pas une fille.

S/C/G: 175/130/115

Height: 5'4

Default goodie bags for toddlers?

I'm going to try to be careful here, and not give too much information, but I have befriended these 3 children (10 months, 2 years, and 3 years) who have a very unfortunate family situation. The oldest one tells me these horror stories of abuse and uncleanliness that they all deal with at home. The 2 year old has ADHD and Aspergers syndrome, so he is very rambunctious and withdrawn when you try to communicate with him. His parents have pretty much just written him off as defective and tell me to come get him when he "gets in the way." So sad :[

Anyway, I was wondering from some of the older ladies here who have children, if you could give me some advice on some creative and fun little goodie bags I could put together for them. I am going to see them tomorrow and (hopefully if they will let me, but I doubt they will say no) take them trick or treating. I just love these little guys and I want to help them have a fun halloween. I have already bought a bunch of coloring books, play doh, some things to make homemade costumes, some toy cars, etc. These kids have barely any toys to play with at home so I'm trying to hook them up here. So can you think of anything I've missed that would just absolutely make their eyes light up when they saw it?

They are all three boys, with hair the color of carrots *swoon*

Thanks!
Ma Petite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

First....have you reported this situation to the authorities? IF it's abusive or neglectful, it needs to be addressed...

As for your specific questions...Halloween decorations, for sure, at your place if you can...or in your car - wherever. Make it special for them!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
First....have you reported this situation to the authorities? IF it's abusive or neglectful, it needs to be addressed...

As for your specific questions...Halloween decorations, for sure, at your place if you can...or in your car - wherever. Make it special for them!
I have not personally reported them, but I know that my grandmother has. This family has also had two children die from, what they said, was SIDS. I know there was a long long investigation from social services where the children were placed temporarily in foster care, but they were recently given back custody. I don't know how, to be honest. The place is a mess and there is absolutely no love in the home. I am probably making a big mistake getting so attached to these babies, but I figure since social services didn't really do anything the only way I know to help is to go visit them and try to teach them love when and while I can.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #4  
Workin' It

My stepson goes all kinds of nuts over silly putty and a newspaper, he is 4. Might be too old for the two younger kids, though.

Those little glow sticks were always popular with him, too.

to you and to them.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Keep in mind anything you give the 3 year old will end up in the 10 month old's mouth, especially in that home situation with no attentive care. So pay attention to size and choking hazard.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #6  
fat burner

S/C/G: 178/159.8/135

Height: 5'2

Hey There!

I work with kids, kids with aspergers actually. Does he have favorite pastime? Usually children with aspergers become very obsessed about certain things. One of my students is crazy about Harry Potter. So, I got her a really cool Harry Potter coloring book, some stickers a really cool pen and a puzzle!

But, on a serious note - I think you should really look into their situation a little further. Although it's uncomfortable for you it's TERRIBLE that children are living that way.
LaurieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieMae View Post
Hey There!

I work with kids, kids with aspergers actually. Does he have favorite pastime? Usually children with aspergers become very obsessed about certain things. One of my students is crazy about Harry Potter. So, I got her a really cool Harry Potter coloring book, some stickers a really cool pen and a puzzle!

But, on a serious note - I think you should really look into their situation a little further. Although it's uncomfortable for you it's TERRIBLE that children are living that way.
He does actually! He is fascinated by emergency vehicles and told me he wants to be an "Amlance driver" (again, SWOON). You just gave me a GREAT IDEA. I'm going to buy him a ton of bandaids and and ace bandages. I'll see if he wants to "fix me up." I actually used to be obsessed with those things and I remember nothing would entertain me more than a bunch of bandaids haha.

Everytime I go over to their house I look for something that could make them be investigated again. I just don't know what is more incriminating than having two children "accidentally" die already. I'm surprised they got the remaining 3 back. I don't know what has to happen to make the situation dire enough for action after that. I'm just glad that I've earned the parents trust enough that they will let me have their kids whenever I want them.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #8  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

does anybody spend time reading with them? maybe an age-appropriate halloween book you can read to them and then let them take hope?

I always got super excited if i got one of those little plastic jack-o-lantern buckets - can stick their gifts in there maybe? good for trick or treating too.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #9  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I hope you thought of some great things and managed to give them a super Halloween. I do hope you will reconsider reporting them though. Do it anonymously to make sure the parents don't find out who it was, since you do have their trust you don't want to lose it. One of the things that they consider in the investigations (and in deciding to investigate in the first place) is how many times there have been reports.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote