Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Default The Halloween candy is killing me!

I know, I know, I know......why is it in the house and why is it open???? Well, my kids had a "Trunk or Treat" at school last weekend, and of course I had leftover candy. So it's sitting here in a bucket for Halloween, looking so inviting.

My strategy was to not buy any chocolate, because chocolate is my trigger. Sure, I'll eat the other stuff, but not like I do with the chocolate. Plus, I figure the sugary-sweet stuff is at least fat free.

Problem is, my kids went "Trunk or Treating". Which means their bags got filled with chocolate. I didn't think about that! So chocolate made it into my house after all. And I'm having a little bit of a hard time resisting the Hershey bars, Kit Kats and especially the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups!

I haven't gone too crazy, but I've definitely snacked on it this week. I think I'm still within my calorie range, but the candy in the house is not helping me at all.

I can't wait until Halloween gets here, and I'll be giving it away by the fistful. But again, the problem is my kids are gonna bring home more.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Well, just remember it's your kids candy so don't eat it
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #3  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
Well, just remember it's your kids candy so don't eat it
that doesnt ever work lol
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

Hehe Well..gotta be stronger than the urge to eat it. My health is too important to toss my calories away on a moment (or two) of chocolate deliciousness
Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There are a couple of "NO HALLOWEEN CANDY" pledge threads out there - why not join one, commit to not have any more from this moment on, and stick to that commitment? What's done is done, but you have the power to stop any more damage from taking place right now.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/see tracker/154

Height: 5'8"

I totally feel for you kellost... chocolate is my worst weightloss enemy. I have zero will power if it is in the house. Its so bad that I can't even have chocolate chips for baking in the house, I had to throw the last half full bag in the trash. I don't even have any advice for you other than get your kids or husband or whoever to hide it. I would put it in my husbands car trunk until halloween and my kids would be told to eat the chocolate first or the chocolate fairy would come steal it the next day. Anyways, good luck!
koolkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #7  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Can you put it in a bowl and wrap like 1/4 box of plastic wrap over the whole thing so it's a pain and embarassing to get into?
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealmuse View Post
Can you put it in a bowl and wrap like 1/4 box of plastic wrap over the whole thing so it's a pain and embarassing to get into?
Ooooh, that's a good idea. I bought my Halloween candy at Costco this weekend and have left it in the trunk of my car. I've made a committment to leave the bag unopened until the Trick or Treaters start coming. I will save out a few pieces for myself and my goal is to keep it under 300 calories. I'm very fortunate that I don't have little Trick Or Treaters living with me, so all I have to deal with is the candy for the neighborhood kids.

I know it's hard, but as Onderchick says, maybe if you think about it from a health perspective it will be easier to say "no".
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealmuse View Post
Oooh, great idea! I might try that! Thanks!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

Ugh! It is so hard. I am going through the same thing!
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Ooooh, that's a good idea. I bought my Halloween candy at Costco this weekend and have left it in the trunk of my car. I've made a committment to leave the bag unopened until the Trick or Treaters start coming. I will save out a few pieces for myself and my goal is to keep it under 300 calories. I'm very fortunate that I don't have little Trick Or Treaters living with me, so all I have to deal with is the candy for the neighborhood kids.

I know it's hard, but as Onderchick says, maybe if you think about it from a health perspective it will be easier to say "no".
Yeah or toss it out and buy more if you're not on a budget (I'm cheap though I couldn't do it!) I'm with Windchime - I bought mine yesterday and picked out the thing I was least likely to eat (all candy is dangerous though) and promised myself I WOULD NOT OPEN until the door bell starts ringing!

Last edited by Idealmuse; 10-28-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #12  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I white-knuckled it through last year just by telling myself that I REFUSE to be fat for one second longer than I HAVE to.

This year, I'm practicing avoidance and going out-of-town on Halloween night.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Wrap it as suggest above and then put your kids in charge of it. Tell them that you would like their help in not eating it. Maybe make a chart and let them give you stars if you resist. I bet they will love the role reversal and you won't want to tell them that you gave in to temptation!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I am so totally with you.
As I type this, I am sitting next to, no joke, over 80 bags of halloween candy. Its been sitting in my house since Sunday, and every day, I have more and more people give me some. I sat in the cold for 45 minutes waiting for more!
Since I'm running the Halloween event for my sorority, everyone has been giving me their required two bags of candy...but there is no one but myself to makes sure all 80 bags get there...no one would notice a couple gone.

I just keep telling myself its not worth it. Sure, i could get away with it, just like you could get away with sneaking some of your kids' candy. But that doesn't mean your body won't know about it...and derailing all of the work you're putting in for the rest of the day just doesn't seem worth it. Put the candy some place where its not in your line of sight often...out of sight, out of mind.

Good luck!
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #15  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Wrap it as suggest above and then put your kids in charge of it. Tell them that you would like their help in not eating it. Maybe make a chart and let them give you stars if you resist. I bet they will love the role reversal and you won't want to tell them that you gave in to temptation!
I love this idea!