Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 01:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7

Angry Calling All Walkers! Join Us!

This group's for any and all walkers or those who are soon to be one! So whether you walk for exercise or fun, on a treadmill or outside come join us and let us know about your travels. Sveltechicky and I are coming over from the other walking thread and would love to meet some new people. So jump right in and say hello!

Happy Walking
Old 12-10-2002, 01:42 PM   #2  

Ok Svelte lets hope we snag a few walkers!

Yesterday I was able to get about 40 minutes in on the treadmill. It was too cold outside to walk, but I had dog guilt the whole night because she kept giving me those "please walk me" eyes. Oh well, it's nicer today so I'll walk her silly!

For anyone new and looking around, I walk everyday anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour. I've been getting great results and have lost about 20lbs in a little over 2 months . So what's everyone else's program or plans?
Take Care

Last edited by RubyBlue; 12-10-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:43 AM   #3  

I walk on my treadmill 3 days a week for 35 minutes a session. I really started this back in mid. Sept and so far with watching what I eat, drinking lots of water and my walking I have managed to drop 22.5 lbs. I have a long way to go but this is a good start. I am very pleased so far.
I would love to link up to other walkers here. I live outside Buffalo and the weather has now turned cold and nasty so I don't get out much and even when it is nice out my area is not good for walking. We have no sidewalks and the roads are narrow and no shoulders so I have my treadmill!
Old 12-12-2002, 02:04 PM   #4  

Hello Janine!
I've just got my treadmill going myself, I know what you mean by the nasty weather. Though we're lucky to have a few mild days right now. So I've been alternating between walking outdoors and the treadmill depending on the weather. Yesterday I took a long walk outside and looked at xmas lights. I like walking because it's something I can do everyday and really never get bored with it. My legs, especially my calves, are shaping up pretty quickly so that's not bad either! I'm glad you said hi, welcome! I hope more walkers join us soon.
Take Care
Old 12-12-2002, 05:43 PM   #5  

It would be nice to get several people here. I have been looking for a board of walkers for some time.
I have my treadmill right in the living room and it is iFIT.com compatable so I also have it hooked up to the computer. When I am ready to workout I just go to the site, pick out a workout, grab a big cup of water and the remote for the TV and off I go. The site controls my speed and incline for me. I don't even have to think about it. I can watch TV so I don't get bored.
I have also noticed a change in my calf muscles. My hips as well! I also used to tire easily just going up one flight of stairs and now I can go from the basement to the bedrooms on the second floor with a load of laundry and still have the energy to put the stuff away!!!!! So for the few short months I have been doing this I have seen many changes and they are all for the good!
Old 12-15-2002, 02:15 PM   #6  

Hi,
Your treadmill sounds so high tech, very cool. I've got a Nordic Track, it's got it's own programs and things and runs pretty much by itself without me pressing too many buttons. I usually listen to music but I'm thinking of setting up a tv because I tend to stare at the timer and that can sometimes drag on.
Isn't amazing how fast you see results with walking? Congrats on your accomplishments! I'm still seeing things everyday, my behind is definitely smaller too! That's a very good thing. My pants are all looser or fit better, such a good feeling.
I really hope we can get a walking group to come here regularly, they just have to find us first! SvelteChicky,another walking buddy, should be stopping in here soon. So 3 or 4 us would be a nice number to keep something going. Yesterday I did a nice nature walk with my dog, it was about 2 miles. I saw a bunch of cardinals out and about, that was nice to see. Not everything is dormant here in the winter. Take Care
Old 12-15-2002, 07:47 PM   #7  

Wink Newbie to Boards

Greetings!

I am new to the boards... and enjoy walking! I have a walking partner here in Texas... but looking for motivation! I like to challenge myself and am wondering if you have any suggestions? It seems like we are walking at least four days a week, 3-5 miles a day... but, I feel I need more. Faster times on the walks? Or, something to get my heart rate up there... I am 42, metabolism is slowing down and I guess I need a kick start! I am looking to see results within 2 months and willing to do what it takes to make it happen... any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:25 PM   #8  

I think my treadmill is very simple.
I understand the watching the clock and I have found that watching tv is great. I can watch the news or a soap and before I know it my time is done! I also feel so much better on the days that I do my workouts. My major problem right now is time! With Christmas just around the corner I have been busy with shopping so I guess you could say I get my walking done there but the pace is not good! I have also been eating out more but I am trying to pick the right things. Today I had a chicken whopper no mayo and a side salad but only used about half the dressing pack. It was more than enough!
I have also met my goal for years end today!!!!!! I am now down 25#!!! I set my goal for 5-8# between Thanksgiving and New years and I hit the 5# mark today even with a few parties thrown in! I am happy with this so far so anything else I loose till the rest of the year is like icing on the cake! I will have to figure out my next goal after that but for now I am getting a short break from goals. I think a 25# drop since mid Sept is great for me!
Now we need to get this little group going!
Old 12-17-2002, 06:44 AM   #9  

Today I am going to start walking on a treadmill.I is raining right now so I won't be able to walk outside.I know it is not much but it is a start.
How long do you usually walk?
Old 12-17-2002, 09:05 AM   #10  

great job,keep up the good work

I walked on the treadmill for almost 6 minutes.I know it is not much but it is a start.I will try to do more later.
So far today I have had an apple and a egg.

I hope everyone has a great day
Old 12-17-2002, 03:50 PM   #11  

Hello and welcome Jazvinez and lily rose! Glad to see you

Jazvinez -3-5 miles is a great workout. I guess just upping your time or distance would be one way to get more results. Or even trying other things in addition to walking, like cardio tapes or weights.
Lily- Great start, I began small too and am working my way up everyday. Yesterday I did 45 on the treadmill and today I'm doing an hour walk.
Wnymom- Way to go on the 25#! I just hit 25 too, I'm excited I'm halfway to 50# and that's my first big goal. Hopefully by spring/summer I'll be there! I am eating out a lot too, I have to be very careful with that of course. I've been ordering light so I think I'm doing ok.

Take Care
Old 12-18-2002, 08:06 AM   #12  

Smile Thanks

Hi RubyBlue,

Thanks for the suggestions. Last night we walked four miles and I must say I felt it, I haven't walked since last Tuesday night. I think I will look at starting some weights here at home and I have been thinking about Pilates. I am trying to lose the mid-section and it just won't budge. Maybe there is a DVD tape out there? I am seriously hoping that if we stay consistant with walking that it will help flatten my stomach too? Or, do you think I am dreaming?

Good job on your walking, it is nice to be able to exercise inside... we get a lot of rain down here... Have a fine day!
Old 12-19-2002, 11:20 AM   #13  
Going All The Weigh

Hey Gals. Got room for one more. A few years ago, I lost alot of weight, and I contribute that to walking. When I stopped, slowly but surely I packed the weight back on. So here I am again, ready to paddle those dogs. I just got done doing Walk Away the Pounds. I could only go for about 10 mins, but its a start.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:36 PM   #14  

Hi everyone! I've been a walker for 1 1/2 years and I love it! I walk every morning (except Sundays--usually go with DH in the afternoon) at 5:30 a.m. for 2 1/2 miles! I have seen terrific changes in my body and really enjoy it. I just dusted off the treadmill and have begun running in the afternoons. I am able to run for 1 mile without stopping! The only problem with the treadmill is that it's BORING!! DH said he'll move a tv for me, so in the meantime, I've been blasting Christmas carols in my ears! I hope you're all doing well and having a great day!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:31 PM   #15  
Finally Fit!

ohmigosh! Can't belive I missed you. I actually just searched for anoyther group, and wound up finding you here.. sorry i took sol ong to find you again!! I"m here Ruby! Still walking everyday Since my serobics class is on "hyatis" i'm forced to only walk. Hope christmas leaves me the same as i started. Boy, what a week so far. Makig cookies kills me. here's my stats for now:

Highest Weight: 210
Current Weight: 160
Goal Weight: 150 (so close and yet...)
Closed Thread