Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Unhappy Two weeks out of Abdominoplasty...and would I recommend it? OGM, no!

I have always said that I don't recommend the GBP or any other WLS because it was a long, HARD decision to change my life in a majorly HARD way...forever. That it's a very personal decision.

Well, maybe it will change with time but for the first week after having Fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty I cried "what have I done???" It was the most painful surgery I've been through. I have always counted the Gaul Bladder attacks I had in 2000 as 10 on the pain scale. Horrible really. So after the General wore off on Friday after surgery my pain, I would say was a 9.5! I actually took the full dose of Oxicodeine they gave me even though I am a recovering drug addict and have never used the pain meds they sent me home with after any of my previous surgeries. I got off of them as soon as I could stand it but it was so bad I risked my recovery to take them.

Now that I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and the swelling has gone down and the pain is limited to a burning feeling all over my stomach skin, a tightness around the incisions and a deep pain when trying to get up, cough, and heaven forbid...sneeze, I'm beginning to feel like myself again.

I would have to say to anyone wanting this plastic surgery done, KNOW what you're doing to yourself! Is the pain of excepting yourself as you are really greater then a 9.5?

I can see that it's going to look fabulous when the swelling goes down the rest of the way, that the scar isn't going to be that extensive, that having a cute little belly button in time may be worth it (right now it looks terrible but has potential) but really, having almost 12 lbs removed (think about it, that's 12 lbs packs of hamburger...ouch) is as painful as one might think!

Talk to me again in a few weeks. I might not have the attitude I have about GBP (that I would do it a 100 times over) but the results might be worth it once.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-26-2009 at 09:30 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the review. Be sure to check back in with us in a few weeks to let us know how it's going!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #3  

Oh and when I posted on the other thread, I was still on the pain meds and was a little loopy!

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-26-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am sorry for your pain, but loved your post . Have you thought about becoming a professional writer ? You have a way with words.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #5  

Thanks bargoo! No not proffessionally but I love to write.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

missangelaks, how is the fleur de lis different from a regular ole tummy tuck? I appreciate your perspective - it's something I see in my future, but I have a hard time imagining how much pain there will be since I've never had surgery, a baby, or broken a bone. My personal pain scale is missing a lot of big comparison owies!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:35 AM   #7  

A regular tummy tuck consists of removing the skin between, approximately, the pubic bone and belly button using an incision from hip to hip.

The "fleur de lis" part of it describes the shape of the vertical incision that removes a large somewhat triangular section from the Solar plexus to the pubic bone as well as the skin normally removed in a regular tummy tuck. It leaves a large vertical scar as well as the horizontal one that runs hip to hip.

It was the best choice for me because of the amount of skin I had on my abdomen from my large weight loss. It offered a small waistline and more removal of my extensive loose skin (I carried most of my weight in my belly)

I hope that answers at least part of your question.

Angela

This is not me, I took it off a PS site

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-27-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hopefully, it's all downhill from here! I've heard multiple times that the PS is usually much more painful a recovery than the WLS. I am such a wuss, so I'm not sure I'll be able to handle it! It's definitely going to be a factor in deciding go/no go for plastics when the time comes.

But, on the brighter side, you can see your belly button now! I haven't seen mine in YEARS without lifting up the top part of my stomach.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I'm with Jill I've heard the PS is ten times worse than the WLS. hope you heal well and heal soon.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #11  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Ditto
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Missangelaks - Thanks so much for the review. I'm not sure if I will ever get plastic surgery and it really remains to be seen how much loose skin I will have eventually and how much I will accept it. I am a bit scared of any surgery though and truly a wimp. It helps a lot to hear about your experience though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #14  

Sorry to hear you are going through so much pain. I hope you feel better soon!

Would you be willing to post pics (before and after)? I have a way to go, and plan on getting a tummy tuck after I lose all the weight. Would love to see pics, of anyone that had it done.
JackiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #15  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangelaks View Post
A regular tummy tuck consists of removing the skin between, approximately, the pubic bone and belly button using an incision from hip to hip.

The "fleur de lis" part of it describes the shape of the vertical incision that removes a large somewhat triangular section from the Solar plexus to the pubic bone as well as the skin normally removed in a regular tummy tuck. It leaves a large vertical scar as well as the horizontal one that runs hip to hip.

It was the best choice for me because of the amount of skin I had on my abdomen from my large weight loss. It offered a small waistline and more removal of my extensive loose skin (I carried most of my weight in my belly)

I hope that answers at least part of your question.

Angela

This is not me, I took it off a PS site

That does help, thanks! I hadn't heard of it before. So it sounds like you'd have double the pain of a regular TT since you've got the extra incision. Hope you are feeling better!!!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote