Old 10-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330.5/see ticker/258.5

Height: 5'9.5

Default Constipation and weight loss

So here's my little story:

when i started MRC, i lost about 15 lb's in a hurry in about 20 days. During these 20 days, the first 8 or so were no problem. Then it started. I started getting constipated and i started taking laxatives. These helped in the beginning, but they they took longer and longer to work. I was also taking the internal cleanser at that time. Then after the 20 days, i stopped losing weigt. Naturally we all thought that it was just a plateau where my body needs to come to peace with its new weight and go again. I accepted this ,since i was always also going away for 2 weeks.

During those 2 weeks, i tried to stick to the plan, but i can safely say i didnt. I gained 1 lb. Coming back i vowed to go full at it again. So i did, but i made a change. Instead of the internal cleanser, i started taking a over the counter fiber tablets.

Down went 6 lb's in 7 days and the first 3 days of those 7 were fine. Then it started again, the constipation. Now i am day 11, i have taken atleast 3 different types of laxatives, NONE have helped so far and my weight loss has stopped again. So i am thinking there is a connection here.

I am taking MRC6, corti-tri, gugul, the enhancer and a mutli vitamin, with 2 efa's a day as well. I also work out (about 20 to 40 minutes) everyday.

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same thing? and what do you do to NOT to get constipated? Coz i am thinking my body is simply not getting enough fiber.

thanks for your help in advance.
nabeelmalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Hey Nabeelmalik..I have NO idea what MRC is..I'm assuming its some sort of diet plan.

Anyway I too have a lot of issues with constipation..and I sometimes think it makes me 'gain' a few lbs here /there.

Two things that I find are amazing are:
1) Benefibre-very similar to Metamucil but more fine....dissolves in anything..water/tea/coffee..can also be added to foods you cook..soup..pasta sauce...I even add it to bran muffins.

http://www.benefibre.com/

2) Fibre One cereal has 13 gms (Honey Clusters) in one serving and I swear by this cereal. If I am having 'problems' I will try to eat quite a bit of it.

Hope some of this helps! Don't forget to drink lots of water!!

Angela

Last edited by angelanicole23; 10-25-2009 at 06:54 PM.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #3  

Hi Angela,

I drink about 150 ounce water evreyday, or atleast try to atleast 120.

You know i was browsing through the medication isle at target and actually was looking at Benefiber.

I guess i will go and get it anyway.

Btw, MRC is indeed a weightloss program.

2nd btw: Congrats on your achievements, i think your numbers are VERY impressive!!!

Last edited by nabeelmalik; 10-25-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #4  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I always have trouble with constipation. Here's my combo to not getting stalled.
1. Keep drinking that water
2. Lots of dark green veggies
3. Fiber One bars or cereal, Benefiber, Metamucil...something once a day
4. Walking - yep, some sort of exercise is crucial
I've always had better luck if my fiber comes from my diet rather than a supplement. Also, some pain relievers (hydrocodone, oxycodone) and supplements (glucosamene) cause constipation as well.

If all else fails, try a suppository. Walgreens carries a glycerine suppository by the brand name Fleet that works within an hour.

HTH
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #5  
McKinney, TX

S/C/G: 201/196/150

Height: 5'6"

Just posted about this exact problem on the newbie 2 thread. I have only been at this for 8 days and the constipation started about day 5. Nothing is working so far. Hoping for some relief tomorrow.

I am drinking 10+ glasses of water and eat a huge raw vegetable salad most every day. I wonder if the supplements I'm taking may have something to do with it. I take the MRC6 and the ADWL in addition to the multi vitamin and fish oil. I just started taking the internal cleanser and I also added a fiber drink with my HNS in the afternoon to help with hunger.

I eagerly await some helpful advice for this problem.
fatnomo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnomo51 View Post
Just posted about this exact problem on the newbie 2 thread. I have only been at this for 8 days and the constipation started about day 5. Nothing is working so far. Hoping for some relief tomorrow.

I am drinking 10+ glasses of water and eat a huge raw vegetable salad most every day. I wonder if the supplements I'm taking may have something to do with it. I take the MRC6 and the ADWL in addition to the multi vitamin and fish oil. I just started taking the internal cleanser and I also added a fiber drink with my HNS in the afternoon to help with hunger.

I eagerly await some helpful advice for this problem.
what has helped when i am really really in need of some relief ( like this weekend), is that i buy the Philips laxatives for kids ( small bottle) and chug it all down. In about 12 hours there is relief . It makes me feel crappy, but there is no way in **** i am taking a suppository

Last edited by nabeelmalik; 10-25-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #7  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I was having a subway salad every day for lunch for the first 40+ days of the plan, then got burned out and went to only frozen for 2 weeks. That's when I got all plugged up. Went back to my subway salad, and next day, all the relief I needed. Hope you get it "worked" out! hahaha

Oh, I also take Natren's healthy trinity probiotics go keep my digestive/intestinal tract filled with good bacteria. I do think this is a huge help in weight loss. It is a daily supplement -- expensive, but I think it is worth it.

Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Looks like a common problem. My suggestion--"Organic Smooth Move" Senna tea--yes that's really the name. Manufactured by Traditional Medicinals. Be sure and read directions, as you have to let it steep longer than most teas.
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchmom84 View Post
Looks like a common problem. My suggestion--"Organic Smooth Move" Senna tea--yes that's really the name. Manufactured by Traditional Medicinals. Be sure and read directions, as you have to let it steep longer than most teas.

Thank goodness for Smooth Move. I've been taking it as I need it throughout the years. On this diet it is a must for me.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

So anyone out there with medical background that can explain WHY this is such an issue moreso on this diet than others I've been on....With all the water we drink I wasn't expecting this side effect
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #11  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

i alternate between constipation and diarrhea, it's ridiculous. i haven't had a normal poo since starting

on a possibly related note, on days i eat raw broccoli for lunch, i get a really bad bellyache by the end of the day and feel like barfing. thoughts? (other than "don't eat broccoli," i guess... lol)
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabeelmalik View Post
what has helped when i am really really in need of some relief ( like this weekend), is that i buy the Philips laxatives for kids ( small bottle) and chug it all down. In about 12 hours there is relief . It makes me feel crappy, but there is no way in **** i am taking a suppository
Better solution:
Miralax... non stimulant laxative, non-dependant, will not cause "lazy" colon, completely safe for all ages, does not absorb into the GI tract, pulls water into the colon, will not affect plan as far as calories etc, works great, can use twice a day if needed, Available over the counter. use this as needed and da aily fiber supplement to keep things going. Huge problem for many of us, believe me. Hope you feel better soon.
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

For the last few months of calorie counting, it seems like constipation is my natural state. I usually only "go" a couple of times a week. No matter how much fiber I take (eaten naturally or supplements) or laxatives I use, the problem persists. If you find a solution, I'd love to know. For me, I just deal with the discomfort.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #14  

just wanted to say:

i've been using Benefiber and one fiber one yoghurt every morning. I know i am not suppose to have youghurt, i am NOT going to back to the feeling i had this weekend. For 3 days now i am really feeling good with it. The regularity really helps me not to be crabby or in discomfort.

I will tell this to my counselor tonight. Lets see what she says about the yoghurt. I am thinking 40 calories, 4 carbs and 3g of sugar dont hurt me that much and if they do, thats tough, coz i need them.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 350/311/222

Height: 5'7"

Speaking of yogurt, there is actually one particular kind that my center approved for me as protein. There is a brand of Greek yogurt called Oikos, it comes in single containers with a separate fruit or honey section, and in four packs that are smaller with either fruit or honey on the bottom. My center said that the smaller four pack with honey on the bottom is acceptable. Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt and it has a higher protein content, and the one with honey doesn't have a lot of bad carbs, but it does have all the probiotics of other yogurt. Since it's small it's easy for me to take to work. I should also mention that I'm on MetaSlim 3, so once I get to the color menus this might change (I gather that the color menus start to reduce the servings of protein a bit.) I can find the four packs that are smaller in the Walmart dairy area, and sometimes in Publix. I hope this helps!

Last edited by CJay; 10-29-2009 at 04:00 PM.
CJay is offline   Reply With Quote