View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Deena52

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi slimmingsi and thanks for the welcome.

After having my metabolism shut down on me due to medication and then spending months trying to research why I was having problems with Atkins after stopping the medication, I've become quite fascinated with learning all the intricacies of carbohydrate metabolism, etc.

The problem with artificial sweeteners is that although the packet says 0 carbs, it turns out that due to the addition of maltodextrin (to make it powdered), it's actually more than 0 but less than 1, so they round it off to 0....so multiple packets will add up the carbs. But I even tried the liquid splenda and even without the maltodextrin, my body seemed to recognize it as a carb.

However, what I've been doing is sticking to a rather spartan induction and adding in new foods, like nuts, for example, much more slowly than I did 20 years ago and I've noticed that by going much more slowly, I can maintain the ketosis. To me, it seems like it's just taking time for my metabolism to return to normal but I'm hoping that by going slowly, I will be able to eventually add things like sugar-free jello. I've had to adjust things a bit due to the alteration in metabolism I suffered due to the medication I was on.

But like I mentioned, I am SO thrilled to finally get the diet to work again, that having to modify it and live without sweets seems a small price to pay. I always took my metabolism for granted...until I lost it.

And to be honest, I remember 20 years ago, developing a craving for the Atkin's bars, especially the coconut/chocolate ones...so I'm probably better off not eating sweets at all. I'm amazed at how after a few days, I literally stopped craving or even thinking about anything sweet.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote