Old 10-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #1  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Question How much do you spend per month in groceries?

And how many are you feeding?
What kind of stuff are you buying?
Do you have pets? What do you feed them?
Where do you live?

We're spending roughly $1000 a month on groceries. That is feeding us five full time (both girls take 4-6 dance classes so they are HUNGRY kids) and three-four daycare kids lunch and two snacks. That is also feeding the MULTITUDE of other kids that are inevitably at our house AS WELL as two single guy friends of ours that eat here quite regularly.

We buys tons of fruits and veg, high quality grains, high quality lean meats, high quality dairy etc. Lots of daycare snacks (crackers, nuts, dried fruit, fruit cups etc) and all of our cleaning/paper products.

It does not include pet food. But we spend roughly $80 a month to feed two dogs (both eat Canidae) two cats (both eat Acana) two guinea pigs (fresh hay, pellets, timothy blocks) and a fish (ummm... fish food with shrimp in it.) We feed our PETS super high quality food as well.

We live in Canada. Northern BC.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I live alone. I used to spend more than I do now, but the recession made me realize how much I was wasting on food. I always ended up throwing out stuff every couple of weeks. (hard to buy for one). Right now I'm spending about $350.00 USD a month. The next thing to go is the entertainment and People magazines. They are now about 3-4 dollars each at the grocery store. I also started using coupons and save about 35-40 a month.

I buy lots of veggies, seasonal fruits, smoked salmon, fresh crab, haddock, ground turkey (for chili), nuts, peanut butter, cheese, and those chicken shortcuts for stirfry. I buy couscous, quinoa, bulgar in bulk. I used to buy Stonyfield yogurt, but now I make my own. It's so good. Also buy canned stuff at Walmart where it's cheaper. We don't have the grocery, just a 3 aisle section. I never buy beef, not on purpose, but just don't like it; I read The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals so it's a miracle I even eat chicken. Ugh.

I eat pretty much the same things over and over. And I don't like to cook so I keep it simple.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #3  

We spend ~$400/month for 2 people and 2 horse-dogs. We don't eat meat, so I buy a lot of bulk grains and beans, fresh veggies and fruit, frozen veggies and fruit. The $400 also covers toiletries. The only thing we buy canned is tomatoes. The dogs eat Iams because it's all they like, and we go through about 50lbs a month.

I've been trying to reduce the amount we spend, and succeeded over the summer with the garden, but now that it's getting cold the budget has gone up some.

We'd probably spend a lot more, but we both work a lot, so we only have meals together about twice a week. Both times I cook in bulk so we have leftovers for a few days.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I would say we spend around $700-$800 per month on food. Extras like cat and dog food, cleaning supplies etc average about $100 per month.

I don't buy a lot of extras and no chips, cookies, ice cream etc unless it is a special occassion like a b-day party for the kids.

I buy lots of apples, bananas and oranges for snacks for the kids and those can add quite a chunk to the bill each week.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

For my own foods, it is roughly about 150-175 bucks a month. My boyfriend eats like one main meal a day and snacks and his groceries prolly cost about the same as mine, if not more, and I eat 6-7 times a day
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #6  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

It's just me and DH, three cats, and one small dog. When I go to Walmart, the bill for food, cleaning products, paper products, etc averages about $90 per week. If I go to a regular grocery where I buy food only, it's about $60-ish per week.

I live in Alabama.
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #7  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

I spend any where from 400 to 500 a month . The girls are in school and Husband is gone all day and My son is never home so Its jest dinner most of the time. Two girls eat like birds. I hate to waste food. That is pinching pennies as much as I can .
We have two White cats who pretty much run the house and keep me company Their food usually runs 20$ at walmart they are pickey they have to have their friskies and Treats I spend more for litter then food a month.
I live in South Carolina I plant a garden every year and freeze the veggies it Helps out alot.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #8  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

I have never added up what we spend, but I am sure it is too much. I would estimate about $500/month. That is for 2 of us, a dog and a cat. We live in Alberta.

We both work, and I am tired and don't feel like cooking when I get home from work. Therefore I stock up on easy stuff at M&M Meats every couple of weeks. Or pre-cooked/easy stuff at the grocery store. On the weekends I usually cook one big meal and make sure there is enough leftovers for at least one more day.

When I make meatloaf, lasagna, chili, casserole, etc. I will make enough for two batches and freeze half.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #9  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I spend about 130/week for me, my son and my DH. Of course - we do tend to order out a lot though. I still don't like to cook.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

It is between 200-300/month for my husband and I. (Sometimes a real splurge month might end up with closer to 400) We live about 20 miles outside of Washington DC in beautiful but expensive Maryland.

It really depends though because we do have some splurge and specialty items we buy but they tend to last a while. My husband drinks a powdered meal replacement every morning which isn't exactly cheap. We buy soy yogurt and some almond/soy/hemp milk. Other than that, our budget really is for veggies and fruit, grains, nuts and beans (mostly organic but not all).

I forgot about dogs/cats.
We have 2 dogs, 2 cats.

The dogs are fed hard boiled pasture raised eggs, various veggies (canned no salt added green beans is the usual), sometimes whatever grain or bean we have available if it is unspiced and then their dog food (it is all mixed together in their bowl during feeding time). They eat various types of high endish vegetarian dog foods. I have to go to specialty stores for their dog food, regular pet stores (petsmart, petco) don't carry them.

The cats only like 2 types of cat foods right now, blue buffalo adult cat or Innova adult cat food. Petco/Petsmart carry blue buffalo but for innova I have to go to a specialty pet store.

My food budget does not cover them but I'd say it is somewhere around $100/month? Not exactly sure.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

We spend somewhere between 400 and 600 to feed 3 adult humans, 7 (+1) cats (4 inside and 3 outside strays and one occasional visitor - currently), and 27 fish (4 inside and 23 pond fish). We are in central Arkansas. We have somewhat expensive tastes for some things (my husband just had about 3 oz. of some $13.16 per pound bleu cheese with his breakfast, we eat caviar sometimes, we love some good salmon, my pasta costs 2-3 times normal pasta, and I have a thing for a good steak, and we also use some expensive seasonings sometimes - such as saffron) and some very unexpensive tastes for other thing (his fav cereal is plain old kellogs raisin bran and he drinks wal-mart brand soda, I get wal-mart brand crystal light, wal-mart brand cooking spray, he eats a ham and cheese sadwich for lunch almost every day, he smokes off brand cigarettes, I get store brand frozen veggies). We do also buy a lot of fresh veggies and meat. Our indoor cats eat kitten chow and friskies canned food because one will throw up if we give them anything else whether it is more expensive or less. The strays we are feeding eat store brand food, both dry and canned. All the cats also get treats sometimes. We get mostly tetra brand foods for our fish (total there are 8 kinds of food for them).

I'm sorry if my description of our food habits was rambly and confusing.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #12  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Smile We are a family of four...no pets.

We spend roughly 500.00 per month for groceries and toiletries.
I shop at Walmart SuperCenter and Reasor's. I also shop at dollar stores once in a while, not often anymore.
We buy hormone and antibiotic free chicken, ground turkey, and shrimp and fish mainly. Sometimes I will buy a steak or two, but again hormone and antibiotic free. I buy organic rice and beans, potatoes, baby spinach, tomatoes, strawberries and grapes, and I buy frozen vegies, lots of stirfry, I use extra virgin olive oil.
We also buy organic fat free milk and yogurt. I also buy fat free sour cream.
Dessert is usually sorbet with fat free cool whip, or organic cookies.
If I buy chocolate it is dark chocolate. We buy bananas, oranges and avocados from the regular section of fruits and vegies.
I buy organic whole grain bread. I usually try to keep eggs around and fat free cheese.
Once in a while I buy organic crackers and that laughing cow reduced fat spread.
I buy organic fruit spread and organic peanut butter...and the kids love oatmeal, and I also buy organic oat cereal. I use stevia, not sugar, and if we get juice it is something organic.
I live in Oklahoma.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #13  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Food is just SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE up here in Canada. I'm jealous!!!! I would easily spend 2-300 LESS if I lived in the states... no fair! lol!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

California is a place that really has it cheap here in the US in terms of fruits and veggies. I remember going into shock when I moved out of California. I also go back into shock when I go visit and see how cheap the groceries are compared to here.

Today we are going to a squash and apple farm to buy some stuff. Then going to an all organic grocery store (which is $$ but I can find some good deals, especially on bulk items).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #15  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

We spend about $600-$800 a month...2 adult and 3 children plus 3 dogs (great dane, boxer & chihuahua), 4 cats and the misc pets like fish, turtles.

The food we buy is mainly whole foods and fresh produce from the produce stands for the humans...for the animals they get the typical purina dog/cat chow with canned food thrown in. If I didn't own a huge horse of a dog they'd be on iams but we go through 50 pounds of dog food a week :P

We live in southeastern Louisiana.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote