Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default Pictures of models..what comes to mind?

To me, they all look so depressed! All I can see in their eyes are hunger and sadness!

http://www.fashionshowroom.com/
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #2  
Graceful Loser

If I'm being honest? Models seem empty to me. They have a pretty simple job- they are a clothes rack. They wear the articles of clothing and try to make those clothes look good. Or they hold the bottle of perfume/dishwashing liquid/diamond bracelet/etc. and they try to make it look good. They wear the make-up, walk on the runway, blah blah blah, and they try to make things look good.

What is purposeful about them? How does their job affect the world? Why do we need women and men to simply stand there and smile, and why are they paid for such an empty, worthless job?

To answer your question, when I look at a model, I see someone who is overpaid with a pointless job.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/233.2/145

Height: 5'4

yes I agree and the clothes are hideous.
whip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think they look empty - but - that's on purpose. They're trying to look that way. For some reason that's cool.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't mind getting paid big bucks for wearing clothes. But take me as I am!
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #6  
WW Moderator

It's not fair to throw them all in a group and call them pointless. There are lots of pointless jobs in this world. Like the greeters at Wal-Mart. Telemarketers. Beauty Pageant contestants. Salesmen. Actors. Writers. Athletes. When you really think about it, how many jobs are really necessary in life? But seriously - before we bash models or anybody else, please consider that in the whole grand scheme of life, we all have our place.

Peace!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

Hmmm.. while I don't agree with how thin models have become, I'm not sure I'd call them pointless.. Fashion is a form of art, and art is important.
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Regarding the clothes -- a few of the outfits looked nice, but otherwise, pass me the eye bleach!!! Ick!

Regarding the models -- I'm sure the 'tude they are projecting is intentional on the part of the fashion designers. In a few cases it's clear the makeup is trying to accentuate that look. Funny that the cheeriest-looking models are wearing the goth outfits, but that has got to be intentional too.

Fashion as an art form is fine, I guess. The problem is that it influences how real people try to look. It's not just a modern marketing thing. Even in the 1920's women could be convinced that being emaciated and looking sickly (kohl under the eyes) was desirable.

Last edited by yoyoma; 10-22-2009 at 05:32 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #9  

Dont they have to abide by a voluntary code for model health now?
Slimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimma View Post
Dont they have to abide by a voluntary code for model health now?
I think "have to" and "voluntary" are mutually exclusive

I think there is some weight minimum, but I don't know if the bar is set very high. I think maybe it's only outside the U.S., too, but I'm not at all sure about that.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC View Post
It's not fair to throw them all in a group and call them pointless. There are lots of pointless jobs in this world. Like the greeters at Wal-Mart. Telemarketers. Beauty Pageant contestants. Salesmen. Actors. Writers. Athletes. When you really think about it, how many jobs are really necessary in life? But seriously - before we bash models or anybody else, please consider that in the whole grand scheme of life, we all have our place.

Peace!
I agree, I think most runway models represent the fashion world and are important to people in that bubble. I think regular people really don't pay much attention, but if fashion is what you live and breathe then they have a purpose to you.

Talk about models always reminds of this: Years ago Lane Bryant did an window campaign that feature real women because that's what their customers were asking for. It failed miserably their sales went down drastically..turns out women didn't want to see real women after all. They went back to their 5'10 size 12 model and sales went back to normal. of course this is not the same as super skinny runway models. But like it or not we ARE influenced at the very least by the models we see in stores.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #12  
Graceful Loser

Fashion is silly. It's all trends and super thin models. I see nothing artistic about it..

Style is what I prefer. Wearing what makes me feel and look good, and not basing that on what a model is wearing.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 168/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Models are made

I think models are not born they are made for a certain reason. And the person who made them will make sure to get maximum use out of them. I see them that they miss all the joys and happiness around a normal womens life. I see them artificial not natural.But the world most of of the time fall for it!!.
pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #14  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoco350 View Post
Fashion is silly. It's all trends and super thin models. I see nothing artistic about it..
A fashion designer would probably disagree with you. Styles come out of the trends that are designed, it just all trickles down.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

When I was bigger, fashion was irrelevant to me. Lets face it, at the plus size store there isn't alot of fashion forward stuff available and I was just so desperate to find SOMETHING, ANYTHING that fit that I was grateful to get whatever. It was easy for me at my large size (75 lbs bigger than I am now) to dismiss the fashion industry as irrelevant and meaningless.

Now that I fit into size 8-10-12, my perspective has completely changed. I now can buy things that look GOOD, that suit my figure, and accentuate my positive traits (while minimizing my less flattering parts!). I can see how different fabrics fold and drape; I can see how different cuts of clothes make me look bigger or smaller; I can see how different necklines and so on have an effect.

Models are, of course, too thin in my opinion, but that is because clothes look better on walking hangers than they do on "real" figures. And I don't think that seriously there would be a single ONE of us who would refuse a fashion shoot regardless of our size. Fashion is about figuring out what looks good on you, what classic pieces are out there, and how to have fun with the way you dress. It took me 75lbs to really appreciate it, and I wouldn't trade in my current interest in fashion for sack cloths anytime soon.
misskimothy is offline   Reply With Quote