Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default Spinning

Does anyone in the 100lb club do spinning?

It's getting pretty dark here, so I'm not able to go for my super early morning runs (the world is so wonderfully empty at 5am!). I asked my PT what I could do to make up for running less, and he suggested spinning. There are classes more or less every day at the gym, so I'll go along this evening and try it out - but I wanted to see if anyone here does/has done spinning and am really interested in hearing your experiences, tips and such

I've had a look in the exercise forum too but thought I'd ask here
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have in the past--about four years ago or so. I adored it and it's one of the things I missed the most about not having a gym membership. The great thing is that you can control your bikes tension. So, you can greatly regulate the workout itself. Also, when it's time to go up and down on the bike--well, of course--you can regulate that too. Anyway, it's good fun and burns a ton of calories.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I love it! I do it 3-4 times a week.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #4  

Oooh thanks for your input! I'm kind of nervous about this evening, not sure what to expect, but I figure I'll go along a bit early and introduce myself and explain that I'm new and make sure I'm familiar with the bikes.

Exciting! I'll report back on how it went
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I love it too! I go 2 times a week and it is a really good workout. I know that I watch the clock while I'm in there because I want it to end, but when I'm done, I know I've worked hard. I had lost some weight before, but when I added spinning, it really helped me lose more.

For the first class, just try to survive. You may be sore in some tender areas, but that will go away if you keep with it. Have fun!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #6  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I do it three times a week. At first your butt will be really sore, but it gets easier after a few sessions. I am pretty addicted to running right now, but spinning is a close second for me as far as great calorie burning, satisfying workouts go. I think if you try it you'll love it. It's a lot of fun and a great challenge.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #7  

Ok, I'm inspired!

Apart from my tender areas, which are freaking out. But they'll get over it.

Right?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #8  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

They will! They'll thank you for it in the long run, I promise. Seriously, my leg muscles are sort of terrifying these days, and I contribute a lot of that strength to spinning.

I am almost in a size 8 jean, after starting at 22/24, so clearly the spin bike has also done wonders for my butt.

Go for it! You won't be sorry.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #9  

Height: 6'1

I have done it on and off for a few years. Actually I was thinking about going today after work. Its a really great workout, esp for your legs and butt. The first few times, your butt might get sore from the bike seat, but if you keep going, you will get used to it.
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #10  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

This is something that terrifies me lol. I'm not confident at all on a normal bike and whenever I've used the stationary bike in the gym my bum has really hurt. I hear so many people say they love spinning though and I keep thinking that one day I will have to try it just to say I've done it.
Right now though I feel like I'm far too big and wouldn't even get a quarter of the way through, so I'm putting it off for a couple of stones.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #11  

Default Spinning Report

So.

1. I survived. Just.
2. My tender parts are tender. Very tender.
3. I was sitting down for 90% of that hour and I'm freaking exhausted. The fact that I cycle to and from the gym probably doesn't help this fact, huh
4. Did I mention I'm knackered?

It is fun, but not the funnest workout I've ever done if I'm honest. The music we had was cool, though I think I might have preferred the Zumba class going on at the same time, but Zumba is only once a week and normally I can't do Wednesdays, whereas Spinning happens about twice a day. So I may well add it in a couple of times a week
Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #12  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Me View Post
Right now though I feel like I'm far too big and wouldn't even get a quarter of the way through, so I'm putting it off for a couple of stones.
I think you could do it, because I started spinning 20 pounds heavier than now. But, you also need to feel comfortable! Where I go, nobody seems to care how the other person is doing. We're all in our own zone!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #13  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

When i did my first spinning class, I thought I was going to die! I had a miserable time and really wasn't sure if I would be coming back. I did though, I made myself go and now I'm hooked. I learned to wear a pair of padded bike shorts underneath my regular workout capris to take some of the hurt from my rump and such. And the instructor for my spinning class has us standing most of the time. I drip sweat all over the place and I love every minute of it now. I just try to focus on the music and keeping my pedaling in tune with the beat.

I say give it another try and you might end up liking it like I did.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #14  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Loving Me - You can totally do it. There is a girl in my spin class who started spinning at 315 or so.

Everyone who is worried/complaining about the sore tush - Schwin gel seat cover. You can get the thing at any sporting goods store or at target, probably other places too. Mine cost me about $16. My butt was so happy that I had spent that $16. The girl who teaches the class I go to suggested it to me when I was limping away from the first class.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #15  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I started spinning a couple months ago and I love it! In fact, at the time, I posted a thread in here that I believe was titled "Ow, my bum!" and got some great advice.

Firstly, yes, your butt and other areas do hurt the first, second and even maybe the third time. But, a gel seat cover (got mine at Walmart for $20) helps tremendously and each time you go the soreness is less, until you one day you realize that it didn't hurt at all!

It's not the most exciting workout, but I always sweat and feel like I have actually had an awesome cardio work out, which is more than I can say for some other gym activities I've tried. Currently I go twice a week and sometimes a third time on the weekend. One of my classes I enjoy more than the other, but that is because the instructor in the other gets on my nerves (she likes to yell in this screechy voice that just annoys me, but it's the only other spin class that works into my schedule on a regular basis, so I deal).

I don't think I could bike to and from spinning class, though - especially the first few times!

If you end up adding it to your workout routine, you may want to invest in a pair of cycling shoes. I got a pair on clearance at a bike shop and they have helped my feet not to hurt, since they are hard-soled and keep your feet in place better than stirrups.

Oh, one thing to watch out for is your posture. I was gripping the handle incorrectly and developed a minor case of carpal tunnel for awhile.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote