South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Exercise Encouragement and Tips

I've been reading the Supercharged SBD book to help refresh my memory and am really enjoying the portion on exercise. Monitoring what I eat and exercising regularly are two things I'd tried often over the years to reduce my weight, but I'd never done them together until I tried SBD. I really think that's been a key part of my success.

Though I don't always get a chance to do it, I think this article has the right idea about how to get more endorphins out of your workouts:

http://www.realage.com/tips/easy-way...ise-endorphins

I still don't love exercise, but I do love how I feel afterwards! Endorphins feel SO good!

I really like this part of the article:

Quote:
Exercise only works if it feels doable and you enjoy it. So find something that piques your interest, then invite a like-minded friend to join you.
I think exercise works as long as you do it, whether you enjoy it or not, but if you don't enjoy some part of it (even if that part is the end!), you are much less likely to do it again. It certainly doesn't work as well if you don't do it, so liking it is definitely a plus. One of the Oprah articles I read mentioned that the best way to get yourself off the couch is to pick a type of exercise you loved as a child. The pathways in your brain that tell you it's enjoyable are already set up, then, and you have an easier time getting back into it. I was one of the most sedentary kids you've ever met (big surprise ), but even I had a favorite activity from childhood: bike riding! Hope you can find yours and get to it!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, BeachGal, for posting this article. I finally read it this morning. Now I know why I enjoy my water aerobics classes so much-even when it's 10 degrees in the middle of winter-I have a group of friends I can always count on to show up. Knowing they will be there motivates me not to ditch.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/282/250

Height: 5'7"

Hates doing exercise ...but needs to get motivated anyone ever tried zumba or jaccersize tell me what you think..
Stylist83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I'm trying to exercise. I just can't seem to get motivated. I walk but I know I need to get more intense.
SillyFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I hated exercise as a kid. I'd much rather climb way up in a tree and far away from my brothers and read a book. That might explain a few things

Silly - I'd have to say that I lost most of my weight through following SBD principles and walking. I do live to ride my bike in the summer and sometimes I pick up weights, but walking outside and with Walk Away the Lbs vids has been my primary exercise. This fall is the first time I've veered from that path because we have anew spin bike I'm enjoying. Long way to say there's not a thing wrong with walking. Just increase your pace and distance until you feel like you're getting the workout you want. I try for 1 hr and 3.5-4 miles but it took me months to work up to that.

Stylist - Chelby is your woman for jazzercise questions

Laurie - thanks for posting the article
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Stylist, Chelby teaches Jazzercise, so she can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about them. I'll tell you that I did it a lot when I was losing the majority of my weight (I only stopped because of the cost--it's not offered at my gym, so I was paying extra to go) and really LOVED it! While there were several overweight people in my class, and they always show modifications to make the workout easier if you need it, I found that it was really hard for me at first, so I would suggest easing into it (doing some walking or lighter impact cardio, like water aerobics or elliptical at an easy pace) to avoid injuries. It's SUPER fun, especially if you love dancing or shaking your boo-tay! I haven't tried Zumba yet, but an overweight friend of mine has done it and found it was fantastic and an amazing workout! She did it when she hadn't worked out much for a long time and was able to handle it, so you might be able to do that now. It's supposed to be offerred at my gym soon, so I can't wait to try it!

Silly, as the article said, getting a friend to work out with you does a lot in terms of motivation. So try getting a walking buddy. More motivation ideas:
  • Give yourself goals in terms of how much working out you'll do each week and then give yourself a non-food reward if you make it.
  • If you go to a gym, let the fact that they have air conditioning drive you there in the summer (we don't have A/C at home, so this works for me...)
  • Do something fun at the gym--play your favorite music on an mp3 player, read trashy magazines, or listen to a great book on tape. If your gym has tvs and you like what they play, bring earphones so you can watch.
  • Look for fun exercises and/or workout tapes--there are tons of reviews and suggestions in the Exercise forum here at 3FC--and make it a good time! Some to try: Walk Away The Pounds (WATP), belly dancing videos, yoga/pilates videos, etc.
  • Figure out what time of day is best for your workouts and tie them to something else you're doing--like going to work--so you are more likely to do it.
  • Have a back up plan (like walking at the mall or gym if you're walking outside usually) for when the weather or other things will change your normal workout plans.

What are some other ways to get motivated, chickies?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote