Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Wink Bad News First...

3 months ago my doctor diagnosed me with high cholesterol and pre-diabetes. Today I went in for a follow up on my bloodwork. I have been following her advice to eat a low GI diet. And yes, I've been moving more!!!

The bad news is that I am still a pre-diabetic but the numbers were much lower than the previous tests showed. Bad cholesterol number is down but the good cholesterol is also down. Also, her scale weighs me 4# heavier than my home scale.

BUT (drumroll please)----the good news is she shows my highest wt at 263 so she says I've lost 44#. The numbers are not where I wanted them to be but they are SIGNIFICANTLY better this time around. Dr. is very pleased with my progress. I will follow up with more blood work in April.

I had a mixed reaction to this doctors visit. I wanted so badly to not be considered pre-diabetic anymore. However, the more I thought about it the more I realized I could use this for the positive. It motivates me to continue eating well during the holiday season. I'm also starting to share this little bit of info with friends and close family. Everyone wants me to be healthy so no one is giving me unsolicited advice, egging me on to 'have just a little', etc.

I was worried about how I was going to deal with the holidays and all the celebrating that comes with it. But, now I have a plan and incentive to keep doing what I've been doing!

Thanks for letting me share what I've decided is actually good news all the way round If I continue as I have been then both doctor and I feel that I will accomplish my long term goals.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/245/220 (10%)

Height: 5'7"

I hear you about those medical numbers. Still, it really sounds like you are moving in the right direction, A New Creation. (Neat name, by the way!) I have read that eating 0.25 - 0.50 teaspoon of cinnamon can help pre-diabetes:

"In a December 2003 Diabetes Care study, cinnamon was found to improve glucose and lipids in people with diabetes. Sixty patients with type 2 who were taking a sulfonylurea (glyburide) were given one of three doses of cinnamon (1, 3 or 6 grams per day) or a placebo for 40 days.

Fasting blood glucose declined by 18 to 29 percent after 40 days in all three cinnamon treated groups. Specifically, 1 gram per day decreased glucose from 209 to 157 mg/dl, 3 grams per day decreased glucose from 205 to 169 mg/dl and 6 grams per day decreased glucose from 234 to 166 mg/dl.

Patients then went without any cinnamon for 20 additional days, but their fasting glucose was still lower than at baseline for the previously cinnamon-treated groups, indicating that cinnamon had a sustained benefit. Furthermore, total cholesterol decreased by 12 to 26 percent, triglycerides decreased by 23 to 30 percent, and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol also declined from 7 to 27 percent.

Taking cinnamon did not improve HDL, the “good” cholesterol.
"
DarkAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

44 pounds is a great accomplishment, so you should be very proud of that. The other numbers should come in time. I'm sure come April you will be very happy.

(The cinnamon is something I have heard as well.)
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/282/250

Congratulations on the weight loss..44 pounds is terrific !!
Stylist83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

That is very exciting. I am very interested in learning all I can about Low GI. That has sort of been my "hot button" topic the last couple of months. I wish we had a subforum here at 3FC. I have been experimenting with it some. Although my journey has been ALL about calorie counting and whole foods, I find that specifically LOW GI foods is what helps me the most.

Congrats on your loss. You are improving your quality of life as well as your health. You are becoming a strong, fit woman. That is something to totally get excited about!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 10-20-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

You have made wonderful changes in 3 months. Think of that, 3 months have made a big difference! There is no telling what you will have done in a year. I really look forward to hearing what you have accomplished in the next few months.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #7  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

You have made AMAZING progress and should be so proud! Congratulations!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Thank you for all the encouragement. I suspect I was a little naive thinking it would just all go away in 3 months. But, I too, can't wait to see those numbers in 6 months. With all the encouragement I get here I'm sure it will be even better.

And yes, 44# is an accomplishment! I am proud.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Thighs Be Gone, I think you have a great idea about Low GI Eating being a subforum. How would we go about asking for that? I feel like I still have alot to learn. I also feel very strongly this is a healthy way to live the rest of my life. It's doable, you know what I mean? Your still thinking in terms of portion control and calories and eating real food. I love it!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

Way to go! I know what you mean about wanting instant results with the pre-diabetes numbers, but in 3 months time you've made very substantial improvements - congratulations!
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #10  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

That is great news and keep up the good work!!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #11  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Congrats.....
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #12  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

That is awesome news, in just 3 months you have made some big changes WTG!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #13  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

That is huge progress! Congratulations. And I bet that your numbers in april will show even more progress!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 245/245/220 (10%)

What is Low GI eating? Sounds like the soldiers in your area should be nervous.
DarkAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewCreation View Post
Thank you for all the encouragement. I suspect I was a little naive thinking it would just all go away in 3 months. But, I too, can't wait to see those numbers in 6 months. With all the encouragement I get here I'm sure it will be even better.

And yes, 44# is an accomplishment! I am proud.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Thighs Be Gone, I think you have a great idea about Low GI Eating being a subforum. How would we go about asking for that? I feel like I still have alot to learn. I also feel very strongly this is a healthy way to live the rest of my life. It's doable, you know what I mean? Your still thinking in terms of portion control and calories and eating real food. I love it!
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I find the LOW GI foods to be very specific to my own needs AND the foods work for me. It is definitely doable long-term in my opinion. I will forward this idea on to a moderator.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote