Old 10-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default where commitment kicks in...

When I first came on to this site, one of my first posts was about motivation...and a bunch of 3FCers came on and kicked my butt, saying it was not about motivation, it was about COMMITMENT. I didn't get why...

I was highly motivated last June and getting started felt like a piece of cake...

Now, it's October and I don't know whether it's the fall weather, or more likely the fact that the weight isn't dropping off so quick, so now, I can feel myself getting a lot more frustrated and impatient.

Yesterday, I went shopping with my son and when I left home, I was all excited that I was wearing a fresh new outfit, but after seeing myself in full length mirrors about a hundred times I decided that the outfit wasn't flattering-- the shirt looked too tight and my stomach was sticking out... the usual "voice of doom" that I carry around in my head was getting the upper hand.

So, now, I'm starting to get the thing about COMMITMENT. You just keep doing it, day in, day out, and hope that eventually some rewards will follow...

But COMMITMENT also seems to mean not expecting some great thing-- like a new pants size, or a new mini-goal, or a new compliment to come along just because I'm feeling a little sick of it...

Ok. Lesson learned.

On with your regular programming.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #2  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

ooh....great post! Thanks for that...because I'm in "motivation" mode, and I need to realize it's "commitment" too

Thanks
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #3  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Very well said and i know what you mean!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #4  
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

I'm glad you posted this, I have just started a week ago and have super high motivation as of now. Having stopped and started countless diets, the committment factor looms in my head. You are right, it is something that just has to be done, regardless of whether we are reciveiving compliments or dropping a pants size every week! I think we sometimes get sort of "hooked" on these positive reinforcements when we start dropping weight, then when we plateau, those compliments can too and we start picking ourselves apart all over again. Just remember how far you have come and think about putting that same outfit on those 50 lbs ago. Also, I think full length mirrors are evil.
Just my 2 cents

You Can Do It!
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #5  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

I am feeling the same way lately. That I need to dig into the Committment barrel. Especially since my stupid scale is up 6 pounds in a matter of a couple of days for no apparent reason. That is the sort of thing that would normally make me chuck the whole thing.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

i really needed to read this post today. i have been really really on plan this week, and i am up 2 lbs. i know i have been good and it will show eventually, but i was feeling a bit annoyed about it. you are so right, its commitment i need right now, not motivation! thank you!
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Good post. I have been quite motivated seeing the scale drop 9 lbs rather quickly, but yesterday I had to switch to commitment mode since I have weighed the same for a week now with no loss.

I just say, "so what? I am doing what I am doing."
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/194/125

Height: 5'7

Great post! I understand totally what you mean about needing commitment. My problem before is t hat I would drop a bit if weight, "celebrate", gain it back...and quit. This time I am realizing that it's not about the scale, it's not about the jeans, it's about committing to a new me.
crzymom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am all about the commitment aspect.

Don't get me wrong - motivation is awesome! And when it's there, it makes things a LOT easier.

But just because it isn't there, doesn't mean I don't keep going. And that's because I'm committed.

I'm glad you learned this lesson - it'll serve you well WELL into the future, and guide you through when things are rough.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #10  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Great post and I think that has been part of my downfall when it comes to losing weight - I can find the motivation to start losing weight but committing to the journey tends to be a lot harder.

I will keep COMMITMENT in mind next time I feel a fallback coming on.

Thanks for the post
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 258/209.2/145

Height: 5'4"

Really great post, thank you. I have been thinking lately about motivation for weight loss, when really what I should be focusing on is commitment, that is what will get me to my goal weight. Thanks again for the reminder!
MariaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #12  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I think I'm learning about commitment this last couple of weeks. I've always survived on motivation, but have always gained back any weight I lost plus more in the past.
This time is very different in that I wasn't super motivated at the time, just found out about a special offer on at the gym and sort of decided to jump off the deep end and join. At first I was motivated to see the numbers drop on the scales and see my fitness increase massively.
This last couple of weeks though I've not felt great, bad head cold and now a slight chest infection I think, and it would be oh so easy for me to give up exercising and go back to binging. I'm finding it really hard at the gym and getting frustrated because my fitness isn't improving at the moment because I've been ill, and the only thing that is keeping me going is commitment and the fact that going to the gym is now a habit. I'm just hoping commitment gets me over this blip.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #13  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Feeling motivated is such a great thing and makes your heart sing. Commitment is what keeps you going and helps you work through the tough times. It keeps you focused when motivation heads south.

I remember reading it over and over on this forum until I finally got it. Ha!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I always get confused with this sometimes. While I struggle all the time, I don't give up. The motivation is there sometimes but I keep going and even if I'm not making progress I still feel committed to this! So I think I am committed even if I'm not making the progress like I feel I should or like others.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #15  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Yep, commitment. That's the magic diet pill. Tell your friends.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote