Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Default "Hmmm, she's about 5'9...looks like a size 12"

I am obsessed with my clothing size and my weight.

What's funny is I find that obsession seeping into others... Meaning, I tend to automatically look at ladies and think about what size they wear and maybe how much they weigh versus their height.

It's like an automatic thing and not at all meant to be judgmental. I am not sure I can help it as it feels automatic.

Anyone else do this?

I almost wish it was socially acceptable to ask people what size they wear and how tall they are (so I could mentally compare them to myself). LOL!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

No, but I know others do. I've had several women that I know at school come up to me and say, "so, you are about a size 4 now?".
The first time it happened, I was shocked. Both by the accuracy of the guess, and that she said it at all!

But, it has happened several more times over the last year.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #3  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i do i do!!

i also try to guess womens weight. its not judgmental and i never look down on them, i just wonder.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #4  

I do sometimes, and wish it was acceptable to ask weight/size too, only because I don't really have an accurate mental picture of what a size ___ or ___ lbs at __ height looks like.

Last edited by frieden; 10-18-2009 at 03:12 PM.
frieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #5  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I think it's normal to be curious, especially when you are a bigger woman, to wonder what other women weigh. You see a girl and you notice features about her, you wonder her weight in comparison to yours, because you mentally try to see what others see when they look at you!

Or the thigh test, when you sit next to someone and you compare their thighs to yours, and wonder about what their weight is.

I used to have nightmares when I was younger where me and my friends would be at the playground, and everyone would go down the slide, and when I walked up to it it was really tiny close up, and there was no way I could ever fit in there. I felt huge as a child and I wasn't. I think this all ties to my habit now of comparing other girls to myself weight wise, and why I started binge eating when I got older, and gaining weight.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #6  

Glad I'm not alone.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh yes!

Since we pretty much have to be ever-mindful of our eating, exercising etc ... I'm sure you've all discovered that employing a new and healthy lifestyle is consciousness pervasive. Of course it's going to spill over into our perceptions of people around us.
And if it is not having a detrimental effect on your daily functioning ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

I totally do that!
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
i do i do!!

i also try to guess womens weight. its not judgmental and i never look down on them, i just wonder.

Don't you wish you could go up to random ladies and say, "Hi. I guessed your weight at about 164. Is that right? Wait, before you answer - you are 5'9" and wear a size 12, don't you?"

LOL! Really, people should just be more open to these sorts of questions.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #10  
Graceful Loser

I know I've done this, but I really don't do it too often. Usually only if I'm feeling down about MY weight.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #11  

Height: 5'11"

I don't ever actually ask anyone because I wouldn't like to be asked my weight or size, but I do the mental comparison. Not because I want to feel superior or inferior, but because I am having trouble figuring out how I *look* right now. Today I saw some co-workers that I haven't seen for at least a year, and they gushed and called me "skinny". I don't feel skinny; I still have at least 15 pounds to lose to be at the top end of "healthy" on the BMI scale. But I looked thinner to them. I know that my jeans are getting smaller, but really--it feels like I am staying the same and the size number on the jeans is changing (but the actual jeans are the same size).

That sounds whacky, I know. I can tell I am just doing the mental comparison because my image of myself is all messed up right now. Hopefully it'll settle down soon.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

most of my friends are women and I'm one of those people who others feel like they can tell anything too. So I've collected a range of friends who sizes I know for sure...and I use their measurements to judge those of women around me.
It helps because I guess a lot of shirt sizes so I can go "you're about the same size as friend A, and she needs a large". Plus, it helps me realize that not everyone is a size four or weights 115 lbs.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I had a few women over a couple of weeks ago I consider thin. I grabbed my camera just before they left and told my hubby to take a picture of us together. LOL..how sad is that! (Of course, you know the pic was IMMEDIATELY downloaded for comparison!!!)
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Cali,

I sooooo do this. I wonder what I look like in comparison to them. I thought it was just b/c I am tall and built like an amazon woman.......

I wonder what size tall girls wear and how much they weigh more than girls that are shorter than I am...... Do you?
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I don't ever actually ask anyone because I wouldn't like to be asked my weight or size, but I do the mental comparison. Not because I want to feel superior or inferior, but because I am having trouble figuring out how I *look* right now. Today I saw some co-workers that I haven't seen for at least a year, and they gushed and called me "skinny". I don't feel skinny; I still have at least 15 pounds to lose to be at the top end of "healthy" on the BMI scale. But I looked thinner to them. I know that my jeans are getting smaller, but really--it feels like I am staying the same and the size number on the jeans is changing (but the actual jeans are the same size).

That sounds whacky, I know. I can tell I am just doing the mental comparison because my image of myself is all messed up right now. Hopefully it'll settle down soon.

It's like I could have written this! It's not whacky at all! I totally get it.

I think that is why all (or...most) of us do this... Because our self-perception is all screwy. I only occasionally see how I really look. I'm having a good day today in that I *feel* skinny. But, usually I feel every lump and bump that remains on my body. Usually I feel every jiggle. Bleh!

Anyway, yeah, I like to figure out what size/weight/height women are so that I can better guage myself. It helps me see....me!