Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/165/150

Height: 5'5

Default Weight Loss Surgery is the EASY way to lose weight!

Weight Loss Surgery is the EASY way to lose weight!

* It was so easy to stick to just liquids for more than two weeks, while my body healed from serious surgery.
* I liked feeling scared the first few times I ate solid food after surgery, not having any idea how my body would react.
* It was easy to lose weight. All I had to do was count all of the protein I ate in a day, keep track of time after every meal so I knew when I could finally drink my ½ cup of water (a sip at a time), make sure I got all of my vitamins and calcium in… plan out each day’s food so I didn’t miss any nutrients…chew each bite until it was mush so nothing would get stuck.
* Throwing up after having too much sugar, eating too fast, drinking too soon after a meal…that was no trouble at all.
* It was fun to sit down and look at one single egg, scrambled, and realize that it would fill me up.
* I loved having to explain to every single waitress why I didn't eat the majority of my food at a restaurant.
* Learning how to eat all over again…a total lifestyle makeover? Piece of cake…ooh, wait. Can’t have cake. Nevermind.

If you think surgery is the easy way…you either haven’t had surgery or you are doing it wrong. This is a tool. Not a silver bullet.

~Kat
Katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 314

Height: 5' 11.5"

Hear, hear.
Peppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Amen sister!
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #4  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

You certainly said it all correctly.......always maintaining...
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #5  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

Kat,
Thank you! I to had gastric bypass on 06-03-03. I started at 400# literally worked my butt off for 12 months to loose 165#. I was still 100 over my ideal weight. I got lost and quit using my tool for about 4 years and have packed 65 back on. I am scared to death at getting back to 400#. I am working so hard EVERY single day to put my tool back to use and to finally start loosing again. Weight loss surgery is NEVER the easy way out people.

Last edited by Gelene; 10-16-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think those that think it's the easy way out have no idea what WLS really entails. My friend's mother died from it, it's a VERY hard choice to make. And once you have the surgery you STILL have to change your habits or it won't help.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

i have noticed some prominent people who have had the surgery have regained some if not all of it back What a disappointment that must be, I supect that some of them have not followed doctor's orders to keep it off.No matter how you lose it , keeping it off is just about as hard as losing it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

LOVED this. and just FYI - this business trip???? not quite sure why, but i tossed some of EVERY meal i've eaten since tuesday lunch.

gotta think about this - there's a big lesson in here!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #9  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Love it, I always feel like I am doing something wrong or scared I will ruin my pouch strecthing it out beyond its limit, basically scared to regain the wait, yep its so easy.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #10  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

Hey there worthylady,
I don't know if you seen or heard of the site livingafterwls.com, but it is a MUST go check out. This site has opened my eyes(being 6 yr. post-op) and has brought me back to the how, why and oh yeah that of weight loss surgery. I really hope you will take a look see. And best of luck to you.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I know I'm in the minority when I say WLS has definitely been the easy way to lose weight for me. Never before have I lost nearly 90 pounds in 6 months without so much as a hiccup in the opposite direction on the scale. Never before have I had a cup of soup or chili from a restaurant as my dinner and actually felt completely satisfied with only that and not also some bread, a large soda, an entire entree, possibly dessert...never before have I had such an easy time of making low-carb food choices for more than a week or two at a time before caving and hitting up a 7-11 for a muffin or danish. And never before, as an adult, have I been able to shop in normal stores, normal misses sections, instead of limiting myself to only Lane Bryant, Avenue, and Fashion Bug!

That said, no, it's not an easy decision to make, by any means. And it's not easy to learn a whole new way of eating for your new anatomy. I have been fortunate to not have any food intolerances at all, but I sure do still have difficulty getting my head and my stomach to agree on how much food to cook or to order for myself. I also have difficulty eating slowly enough that I don't end up uncomfortably full at the end of my meal. And, while I don't have any difficulty taking them, I do know I have to take vitamins 4 times a day and keep a close watch on my labs and vitamin stock (I order many things online, so I need to make sure I order more before I run out of something completely and am left without while I wait for a shipment to arrive).

So, I vehemently disagree with anyone who suggests that WLS is the "easy way out" because it doesn't magically fix everything - and, in many cases, it just replaces old habits or issues with different ones - but as for the "easy way to lose weight," it sure has been for me, when compared to all the different diets or "lifestyle changes" I've tried before. Now, the easy way to MAINTAIN my weight loss, that has yet to be seen, but from others' experiences, I believe it's certainly more difficult than the initial losing!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Its definitely faster but easy? not so much. There are huge physical and emotional changes that happen. You have to be strong and adamant about taking care of yourself
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #13  
fatty pants!

S/C/G: 350/348/190

Height: 5'11

I had a gastric bypass when I was 18 and I can say that it was the best and worst thing I ever did. I was almost 500 lbs (at 18 and that sucked) I had the surgery and lost 40 lbs before I even left the hospital, but it turned out to be surgical bulimia for me, I would throw up pretty much anything I ate or even drank. BUT I was a size 8 - 10 within a year to a year and a half.... until I got pregnant and gained back almost all the weight! so here I am, my son is 5 and I still am at 348.
sinistergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

I just wanna hug Jills neck!!!
mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote