Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default What to do with cabbage?

I've got half a head of cabbage left from a meal we ate last week. I also THOUGHT I had about half a pound of turkey smoked sausage. For supper tonight I was going to do sausage and cabbage, and serve it over brown rice.

Well. This morning I dug into the fridge to make sure I had everything I needed, and turns out the remaining half pound of sausage, which I thought was sealed tight in a bag, wasn't sealed as well as I thought. The seal on the bag had broken at some point, and it's been sitting in there open. It doesn't smell bad...but it's kinda dry. Sorta concerned about eating it now, so I probably won't.

Only now I really, really want cabbage and really, really don't want to go to the store. I'd have to buy a whole pound of the turkey sausage, and again would have half leftover 'til who knows when. What can I do with the cabbage, other than boil it?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #2  

You could make stuffed cabbage. I use cabbage, rice, tomatos and turkey burger. Or you could make a soup and chuck the cabbage up and throw on top. Usually when I make my winter soups I do that.
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #3  

A soup might work....I'm out of stock, but have chicken bouillon cubes, cabbage, some celery and carrots...maybe some potatoes...that might work...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Mindi--that soup sounds YUM.

Also, you could make stuffed cabbage leaves. Make up your filling out of whatever you like. Pour a can of tomato sauce into a casserole. Place in rolled cabbage leaves and top with another can of sauce and sprinkle with Parmasean. Cover with foil and bake--probably for 30 minutes @ 350.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #5  

Yeah....totally ready for dinner now. It's only 8:50 am. Darn...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I like mine stirfried with ginger and sweet onion
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
A soup might work....I'm out of stock, but have chicken bouillon cubes, cabbage, some celery and carrots...maybe some potatoes...that might work...
This is what I usually do with cabbage. Little garlic and a can of diced tomatos also add a nice flavor

I love the stuffed cabbage idea, Smilette! My mom used to make that quite a bit, but I never thought to do it myself!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post

I love the stuffed cabbage idea, Smilette! My mom used to make that quite a bit, but I never thought to do it myself!

My grandma always makes it but i finally started a few years ago and just substituted a few things such using turkey burger instead of hamburger ... and actually use brown rice instead of white ( tastes better in my opinion ) and then I use canned tomatos that we canned fresh out of the garden this year so i know theres NOTHING but tomatos in it. LOVE stuffed cabbage
Smilette31 is offline   Reply With Quote