Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default What do you do about clothes on the way down?

Ok, first of all, money is a big issue for my family, we live on a very tight budget which thanks to the economy hubby's been having lots of short weeks at work making it tighter for us. I'm a stay at home mom of 4 kids, and honestly fashion isn't important to me, but not wearing a tent out in public is. Buying new clothes every few weeks is not an option for me and I rarely luck out at the thrift store (hopefully as I go down that changes, but for now it's pretty much useless).

So what do you do about clothing as you are going down? If I was at a size I knew I was going to stay at I would be able to budget a pair or 2 of jeans and a hand full of tops, but I don't plan on sticking in anyone size long enough to make it ok for our budget. Right now I'm heading from the 2 pair of 24s I have into hubby's now "outshrunk?" 40s... I'm not keen on wearing mens pants but they are what I have and will have to make do with them... and he is "outshrinking" his 36s now so I guess maybe I will get those too... but still they are mens pants.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #2  
Cindy

S/C/G: 289/193/145

Height: 5'4"

Have you considered a goodwill or salvation army shop? They get donations from retail stores and sometimes you can find new items with the tags still attached. I am fortunate that money is not an issue (not that we are rich) but I am not ashamed to say I have bought second hand but in great condition clothing from places like these. It just seems such a waste to buy all new clothing that may not fit in a few months time.
cinderpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #3  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm curious about this too... to be honest it has been one of my biggest concerns, but I know I can't let something like that deter me from losing weight. I have set aside some old clothing, mostly pants, that I can switch into as I lose weight. I think it will be easier to find stuff in thrift stores as you lose weight too, but even so, if you catch Sears and other department stores between seasons you can find some really good deals. I also think that I'll be able to wear some of my clothes for a long time because I didn't always buy a bunch of new clothes as I gained weight, my clothes just got tighter and looked terrible on me... it's kind of motivation on it's own :P. I'm at that point right now... and I'm looking forward to my clothes fitting better for sure, or even being loose... I try not to worry about it.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #4  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

I don't worry about the shirt aspect of it as shirts can last a whole lot longer.

So far I've bought three new pairs of jeans - 22s that I found on sale for $20 at torrid and 2 pairs of 20s that I found at the gap outlet for $16 each.

Never had much luck at thrift stores either My size never seems to show up.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #5  

I live in a tiny little town in the middle of PA, we have 1 tiny Salvation Army store which NEVER ever pans out. Once in a great while we are able to swing the gas money to drive to a city.. usually Wilkes Barre because we know of 4 thrift stores up there... but even there I have a hard time finding clothes. Our last trip resulted in one of my 2 pairs of fitting pants, but even they are way too long because they are average length and usually petites are long on my short legs.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I know you are not asking for this... but if you think it will be warm enough to wear capri's for a while I have a pair of 22's and a pair of 20's that are super cute

I tend to buy clothes on the way down. A pair of jeans every size and a few tops. So currently I have a pair of size 18 AND a pair of size 16 that both fit... but that is literally the only pants that I have other than a pair of workout sweats and a pair of yoga pants!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/265.2/150

Height: 5'5

What about checking Craigslist or even Ebay?I try to browse through those 2 sites in search of something cheap to get me through.I also have the problem right now of money being an issue.My 24's are getting a little big but for now they will have to do.Too bad their is not a clothing exchange for plus size women.Even a website where people post there too big clothing.I am willing to give my too big clothing to someone as soon as I get somethat fit in exchange for shipping.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #8  

Rakel, I definately won't let clothing deter me.. and like you, I never bought a lot as I went up... who knows what the heck I wore as I went up! Well I guess lots of times I was in maternity pants, but in between babies I have no clue what the heck I wore! I know I have gotten rid of some things, I needed space and seeing smaller clothes was just more than I could bare a lot of the time.

Nooch.. gosh even $16 bucks for pants about makes me faint... I think the last jeans I bought new were like $8 at Walmart. I felt like a million bucks in the maternity jeans my MIL bought me for my last pregnancy.. they were $40 a pair... I don't think I have ever ever ever owned a pair of pants that cost that much.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
What about checking Craigslist or even Ebay?I try to browse through those 2 sites in search of something cheap to get me through.I also have the problem right now of money being an issue.My 24's are getting a little big but for now they will have to do.Too bad their is not a clothing exchange for plus size women.Even a website where people post there too big clothing.I am willing to give my too big clothing to someone as soon as I get somethat fit in exchange for shipping.
I was just thinking a few minutes ago that a "clothing chest" type thing would be awesome... wish there was one.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #10  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile Sweats...

I go to the Goodwill or Salvation army and I head for the sweats! I have gotten a lot of cute sweat pants, and I look for ones with drawstrings, so I can tighten them up when I need to.
They are cute, and I love a sporty look! I have gotten lots of name brand sweat pants this way. I bought a jacket there, just for going walking, it's black, so it matches anything...it is a waterproof windbreaker. Then I went to Walmart and got 3 pairs of gloves for a dollar, and I just switch out colors of gloves to match whatever sweat pants I am wearing. I layer clothes if it is cold, usually putting on a long sleeve tshirt, then a hoodie, then the black jacket, if I start to get too warm, I can take them off in layers and just carry them.
I love sweats...Jeans are cool, but it seems I am always between sizes so will wait to buy jeans until I either have more money or get to goal.
Hope this helps...Oh BTW...Shirts don't matter, you can buy em a lil loose and can wear them big! Or buy em tight and you will have lots more room to wait to buy anymore.
Hope this helps!
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I went to Walmart last week and they were selling jeans for $9. I bought a pair of 14's but the sizes went up pretty high if I remember correctly.

I just went to craiglist and typed "clothes 22" and in my area a LOT came up. Not sure where you are from but one person was selling a whole lot of clothes from size 18 to 24- 27 pieces for $50! That's less than $2 an item!

Another person was selling all their old clothes size 20/22 for $1 a piece!

Where are you from I can search for you if you'd like.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #12  

I was just poking on craigslist... the only one that is near me is Williamsport PA, not finding much, and though for certain things I just HAD to have, I don't like to ask people to ship. (I have though for some things I needed for school for my son this year and couldn't find them anywhere else)
Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

hey how about this one?

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/clo/1413975592.html

60 items for $100

Or these:

http://elmira.craigslist.org/clo/1413794211.html

or this one:

http://pennstate.craigslist.org/clo/1402538551.html

good luck! maybe even try ebay?

Last edited by beerab; 10-15-2009 at 02:18 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #14  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I posted about shopping at burlington this week. I got some tops for 5.99 and the most expensive thing I bought was a 20$ pair of jeans, they had cheaper ones too, I just really liked these. You might try there if you have one?

Also, I bought some tops that were a smidge small, just a SMIDGE, they fit, but they JUST fit, so I figure they will last longer than buying something a little larger.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #15  
Taking care of me.

Search for freecycle on the net and see if there is a group in your area.

I saw this mentioned on another thread on this site but had forgotten about it until I read your post.

Good luck.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote