Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #1  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Angry AAAARRRGH! Stupid scale!

Please forgive me while I rant. I am sooo upset and disappointed right now!

My scale that I've been using since day one, is an 'analog' type scale. It doesn't have a digital display, it just has the needle that moves to the number when you stand on it. We got an older one like that cuz my dh is cheap; bless his heart.

I've been weighing myself every monday morning and every week, I've been losing weight. I've been recording the number of pounds lost on my ticker so I know that those numbers are accurate. This last monday, I get on and It says I'm 201 I'm thrilled because I think that next week I'll finally be reaching onederland, a place I haven't been in atleast 4 years.

So I'm at the gym today, and I got in a really good workout I'm feeling great. I decide to tempt fate by stepping on their 'digital' scale. The darn thing says I'm 216!!!!! WTH?!

How could my little pos scale be off by that much?! Even when I went to the doctor the other day their scale said I weighed more than mine. So I guess instead of starting out at 247 I really started out at 263?! Onederland feels like it's so far out of my reach.... Ugh...I'll go change my ticker.....
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #2  
on a journey

That would be awful, i cant' imagine. However, i'd give my right arm to be at 216. Continued good luck with your weight loss.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Well, you're weighing at a different type of day, on a different scale, with clothes on... etc.

I have one of those analog scales too. And it's about 8 pounds different from the scale at the gym.

In the end, it doesn't matter which scale is "right" or "wrong" -- both might be wrong! In the end, pick a scale, and watch what happens to your weight on that one!!

Congrats on your loss so far!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #4  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

*for me* analog scales are tricky. the needle moves depending how you stand on it so i always stick with digital. it was easier to *fudge* on analog scales for me.

on another note, the digital i used for the first several months broke. i was at 196 and one lb away from my mini goal of 195. i got a new, fancier scale and i weighed 201 on it. it made me want to scream to see that 2 at the beginning of my weight again, but i just sucked it up and recorded my weight for that week at 201.

the number on the scale doesnt make you any fatter or thinner. you're the same size when you weighed at home and read 201 as you were when you read 216 at the gym. IMHO, id invest in a digital home scale and start using it (esp if your analog one is a cheapie). even if you dont, skip out on other scales all together and only use one.

Last edited by juliastl27; 10-13-2009 at 09:35 PM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #5  
No description available.

Remember the part in the movie Dodgeball when the bad guy tells his assitant to go add 2 lbs to the scale in the ladies' locker room?

Anyway, weigh something you know the weight of on your home scale and go with ONE scale and one scale only. You can use a 5 lb dumbbell or a 5 lb bag of sugar or the like.

You're doing great!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #6  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

This happened to me with my analog scale..it was aorund 6-8 lbs different because the calibration kept getting messed up. I shoulda known when my mom would weigh herself on my scale and say "gee I like yours a LOT better"..

Either way, you have still lost the same amount of weight, whether you are 201 or 216. I know it's disheartening, but try not to let it take away from the huge amount of weight you have lost already!!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #7  

Those "analog" scales are spring loaded right? after time, sitting in a hot steamy bathroom, the spring probably gets rusty and stretches and the scale gets off.

Be proud of what you have done! You ticker says you've lost almost 50 lbs! They put people in magazines for losing that much! Keep it up!
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 288/284/150

Height: 5'8"

Another thing about analog scales for those of us who are near the top range.. there is a certain margin of error, and on the spring, as it stretches, the margin of error gets higher the farther you are out of what it considers a normal range... it was really shocking to get on a digital scale after using analog, there was a HUGE difference in my weight.. but my hubby only had a small difference, and we know the new scale is correct because of weighing dumbells on it.. Yet another motivation to lose weight i suppose, so that I will be in the "normal" range for a regular old analog scale, and not at the top of the spring's margin of error. But... like someone said before... you've still lost a load of weight!
DeeinVaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #9  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Thank you sooo much ladies. Your kind words made my day a lot better. You are all right. I need to just stick to one scale and keep going! I'm not going to let something as trivial as a number make me forget about how far I've come and how much work I've been putting into myself. I'll get to onederland soon enough!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #10  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I am sure that's so frustrating! Like the others said I would invest in a digital and weigh on that only. I sometimes step on the scale we have at work -- we ship out large items so have a floor scale and it's always more lol I don't like it!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Aww that sucks! Just remember, the fact that your scale was off doesn't change the fact that you've already made so much progress! Keep up the hard work, and you'll hit onederland in NO time!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote