Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Thumbs up honey crisp apples

Anybody ever try them? They are absolutely AMAZING...and I'm not even joking. I'm not sure if they're available in only certian parts of the United States or even in other countries but if you can get your hands on some I highly suggest it. I feel pretty proud of myself that as I walked through the door right now I went to the fridge to grab an apple instead of the chocolate in my cabintet. THATS' how good they are! They tend to be more on the pricey side, but they're currently in season, and I totally believe they're worth the extra money. I can't even put into words how to describe their taste....they're just as their name describes....crispy and so sweet it's almost like eating honey. Pure awesomeness lol

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Honey Crisp Apples Rock

Another believer here. They are to-die-for. I'm willing to pay the $3/pound when there are good apples going for $7/10 pound bag.

We get them grown locally.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-13-2009 at 05:57 PM.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #3  

Love 'em!! They start showing up this time of year, and I eat as many as I can (on plan, of course!) before they're gone again.

I also love Cara Cara oranges - the oranges mixed with a chopped honeycrisp make a really tasty fruit salad! So crisp, sweet and fresh!
SueSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #4  
Giovanna

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm a fan too. They are 2.49 a lb here, and I'm cheap but I get 'em while they're available. They are awesome!
Late to the game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love the "premium" varieties of apples. Honeycrips is probably my favorite. It helps to know which variety is in peak season, because many applegrowers will keep most of the apples in cold storage, and sell them throughout the year. Some varieties keep better than others.

My understanding of the honecrisp is that they're rare enough that the supply runs out before the demand, so they're pretty much "right off the tree," compared to other more common varieties.

Fuji and Braeburn are probably the best year-round apples in my opinion.

Any crisp, sweet/sour apple is a winner with me. Braeburn, Fuji, Pink Lady, Pacific Rose, Cameo, (Royal)Gala, Jonathan, JonaGold, Cortland, Crispin, even Granny Smith.

Mmmmm, apples.

I have Honeycrisp and Jonathon in the fridge now. I bought a bag of Honeycrisp at Aldi for only $3.99 for a 1 lb bag, and part of MIL's housewarming present for our new apartment was a 5 lb bag of Jonathan. Jonathon aren't my favorite, but I do like them. I absolutely cannot stand any apple that doesn't have a firm flesh. Some apples get mealy after they've been stored too long, and some never are crisp (I hate Rome because they're always too soft, which I find really unpleasant. I think it's why I abhore applesauce).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #6  
it's always something

LOVE THEM! But I've noticed they aren't all the same. The ones I buy from the organic grocery are pure heaven! But the ones I buy at the regular grocery are just so-so.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #7  

I got 8 lbs of them last week from the orchard, and I find myself eating them for lunch instead of a balanced meal, I love them that much. DH thought I was crazy for being so excited about a 2 week period I could get a particular apple ... until he had one. Now he's hooked too.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Mmmm...Honey Crisp lover here..they have been here about a month..I didn't see them this week though at the store..

Cheapest I've seen has been $1.77
Highest I've seen is $2.50
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

haha well I'm glad I'm not the only one in love with these apples! I live in Chicago and we have Pete's Fresh Market out here. They have an ENORMOUS amount of fruit and veggies for cheap prices. I'm not sure but I think I got these apples for anywhere between $1.50 and $2. I know it was definitely below $2 but I really didn't care, I just grabbed a bag and started filling it up! lol

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #10  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

These are by far my favorite variety... I've been known to eat 3 or 4 in a day They're pretty pricey here too (usually around 2.49 at my co-op) but so very worth it!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

They are wonderful, but at $2.99/LB I don't buy a lot at a time.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Every year it seems I'm willing to spend more and more for really awesome fruit. Every year, it seems there's also another fruit that I've had to add to my "fruit watch" calendar.

One fruit I won't be adding, is dragonfruit. I spent about $6 to $7 on one large fruit (smaller than a grapefruit). It was beautiful, juicy, and sweet - there was nothing to dislike, but there was no WOW factor. Sweet was really the only flavor, as otherwise flavorless as sugar water with no flavoring added. If the price was cut by 2/3, I'd probably occasionally buy one to add to a fruit plate, fruit pizza or fruit salad, because the fruit is very unusual and pretty - just no wow in the taste department.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-14-2009 at 07:58 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #13  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

If you like Honeycrisp you would love Suncrisp. They usually follow the Honeycrisp here in Michigan. I LOVE them both.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #14  
Workin' It

I love Honeycrisp... I also like Pink Lady. Hate the Rome, also - squishy, like Kaplods said.

Best price I've found was at Trader Joe's, actually.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

My absolute favorite is the GALA apple. SO unbelievably sugar sweet with a great crunch. They're also a great size, not to big and get this - they're about 69 cents a pound.

I heart apples.

Oh my goodness. Who wouldv'e thunk it? I used to think that it was a punishment to eat an apple. Now it's a treat which I totally and completely look forward to and enjoy.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote