Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Handbags/Purses on the Obese

I was out shopping for a new handbag the other day and I noticed something. Most (purses/pocketbooks/bags) have short handles. I have always had purses with very long shoulder straps so I can put it over my shoulder and walk and it sort of hangs by my side (low, almost by my leg). When I "tried on" the ones with short straps, and I had them on my shoulder, they hang between my arm and waist. They poke out/stick out like having an extra hip. I feel super fat and like my bag is sticking out so far that I might ram into someone when I am walking. What is up with this? Am I just fashion-challenged? What is the appropriate type of hangbag/purse for a very large woman to have?

I know this is a weird question... I grew up not using any kind of bag and now I *need* one that is semi-big to keep all my stuff in. I see other woman (normal sized) and they all seem to have those shorter bags hung under their arms and look fine, but me? I don't really have room to be any wider than I already am.

What kind of bag or purse do YOU use? Am I missing something? Are you just supposed to have the bag over your arm or carry it by its handles in your hands? I need a new purse and have NO IDEA what to get.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 10-13-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #2  
Out is Through

I know exactly how you feel Lyn! I generally use shoulder "tote" bags (http://shop.pacsun.com/girls/girls-h...Tote/index.pro) to ensure there's enough room for my arms to fit..and my arms aren't even THAT big =/ I see everyone with such cute clothes and cute bags on my campus at school and I just think to myself "Someday I'll be able to buy things like that.."

In regards to your question, holding the bag by its handles or putting it on your shoulder really depends on the style of the bag. What bags do you have now that you're having issues with?

-Stephy

Last edited by Creeech; 10-13-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

i have no advice but i am having exactly the same problem! will be watching this thread with interest!
at the moment i have one of those short handled bags and i kinda carry it in the crook of my arm, or else just in my hand. its very awkward!
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I am addicted to purses!! A lot of purses are meant to sit in your crook by your elbow. The ones I prefer can go over my shoulder, and still have shorter arm straps. A shoulder bag.. like the picture I've attempted to attach.. hopefully it works! A good purse is hard to find, so continue your search until you find what you want! Weirdly enough I've managed to find purses at Aldo Accessories.

-Aimee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14336_a9.jpg (7.2 KB, 26 views)
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Purses were the one thing that I could always find to fit.

I want my purse to fit on my shoulder slightly under my armpit next to my breast. I don't usually have a problem in a department store with a fairly good selection. Like you, I need to try it on to be sure that it works. The hard handles do not work for me and I like leather straps. I just look at the straps and can usually get a pretty good idea if it will work. There is a length between the short straps and the ones long enough to hang to your hip. The bag also can not be too big or it will irritate me.

Hobo bags work well for me.

I have been lusting after this bag but probably won't get it, too expensive.

Dooney & Bourke

Last edited by time2lose; 10-13-2009 at 01:04 PM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #6  

Please forgive me for intruding on your thread, but I saw this and thought I might be able to help. As you can see from my ticker, I am a very big lady, I am 5'7" tall. I own around 65 bags and am a true handbag junky. I have all sizes and colors and if you want your bag to "hug" up under your armpit, close to your body, you probably want a bag with about a 12-14 inch "drop" unless you have thin upper arms. That is the distance between the top of the bag to top of the straps. I absolutely hate bags I can't put over my shoulder and carry, though I do own several. I buy a number of my bags at HSN or QVC and find they are great as they show them on models so you get an idea of how they drop. Unless you are a very short woman, don't carry itty bitty bags. Buy a bag that if it hugs your armpit hangs to a bit below where your bra bottom is. That is a pretty good size. I love bigs bags and carry the kitchen sink but for a medium sized bag, aim for one that is about 10-12 inches wide and about 10-12 inches tall. Hope that helps!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #7  
Workin' It

I hate bags right under my arm, I like the ones that have a long enough strap to go across me so the strap is on one shoulder and the purse hangs down at the opposite hip. Hard and harder to find that style these days. I got my last one on clearance at a Coach outlet. Crossbody Coach Bags they actually have a section on the website that shows purses that will hang across like that.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #8  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie+J View Post
i have no advice but i am having exactly the same problem! will be watching this thread with interest!
at the moment i have one of those short handled bags and i kinda carry it in the crook of my arm, or else just in my hand. its very awkward!
Thank you! I'm doing the same thing and I feel like I must look like Queen Elizabeth. A nice looking lady but I'm not that old!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

gma22~

Wow!! Thank you! I am so going to write that down and take it with me to shop. That helps a great deal.

Swimgirl~

see, that pic is the kind of bag I am confused about. If i put that on, it doesnt "hang" down like it does on that mannequin... it sticks out because I am big, and then my huge arm is over top of THAT and I wonder if I look like a linebacker wearing it. Maybe I am just not used to them, but I *DO* want to learn, and be fashionable.

I was trying to find a picture online of the bags I usually get, but can't. They're hard to find and thus probably not very fashionable. The strap is so long I put it on my shoulder and the bag is actually by my hip. I buy a flat type bag so it doesnt stick out. My hip is actually my biggest part so now I am wondering why I thought this was more attractive or slimming in the first place, hmm.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 10-13-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I just can't resist quoting that commercial.

From the lady with the giant accessories, including the purse, "It's just...All these giant things make me look small."

I myself love a big purse! I'm also patiently waiting for cross body bags to come back...
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #11  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

I usually stick to hobo styles, I tried a bag with handles (Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Bag) and it looked completely ridiculous on me.

But I haven't sold it yet, waiting to see if I like it more after I lose weight.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

big girls with teeny tiny handbags is a no no i think LOL Personally, I swear by my Roots "cross body" bag, leaves my hands free and it lays flat, not bulky but it holds all my stuff. AND it's the only cross body bag that has enough strap length to go around me and lay lower on my hip where i want it, some of the others the bag is stuck somewhere under my boobs NOT a stellar look LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #13  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

That purple bag is actually meant to be carried in your hand and not over your shoulder--though I realise that's how most people carry it.

I need a hands free "cross body" bag too (I've never heard the term "cross body" before, but that's exactly it.)

The strap on my purse is 48" long--and it has a buckle for adjusting.

Google "saddle bag" and see what comes up. This one came up when I did it.
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...ed=0CCcQ9QEwCA
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Ooo, I love that bag Alana. That is exactly what I'm talking about. My current bag has a long strap with adjustable buckles as well.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #15  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

I have alot of smaller-medium purses with the shorter straps. I hope they dont look ridiculous! ha

I also really like a bag I have. It has long straps and hangs down by my hips. I can fit everything in it and its pretty casual. Its what I usually use.

I love purses and bags and could pretty much adjust to anything. Just make sure you get what you're comfortable with! Target has alot of cute purses and bags pretty cheap. They always seem to have a good variety. Or if youre still having a hard time finding something check online.

Good luck with finding one you love! =)
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote