Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Question Self-Pay, Insurance and Complications Questions

Hi All,

I am hoping that y'all can help me out with this question. If I self-pay for my WLS (the sleeve) and there are complications resulting in a longer hospital stay then will my insurance (Medicare) pay for the hospital bill for the extra days? I do know that the surgeon's fee for complications is included in the self-pay but not the hospital bill.
I can ask the surgeon next week but I am wondering if anyone here knows about this?
Thank You!
Pennie
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #2  
Workin' It

I don't know about Medicare specifically, but I know that primary insurance plans will not pay for any bills that result from complications due to non-covered procedures.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Great question. Best thing to do is call your insurance company.

Please let us know what they say ... good luck !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

I'm not hopeful about this, Cat. but leenie's right - contact your carrier - who's your medicare provider?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

I called Medicare and got an inconclusive answer. Medicare would make a decision whether to cover me at the time of complications. Well, that is not too helpful information. I think there has to be a better answer. Perhaps I will call again but it is obviously not a question that they get a lot. I need a Medicare expert.
Thanks everyone for your responses.
Pennie
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

and that's probably the best answer you will get. What I'm not sure is why you are self pay... medicare covers WLS...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I bet they would NOT cover it. I am facing the same thing with my boobs and stomach and my insurance company. They won't cover any portion and if there are to be complications it will continue to be outta pocket for me.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 10-13-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #8  
Workin' It

Thighs - Same with me on my boobs, insurance will cover no part of any complication resulting from the procedure. Check with your surgeon - they often offer warranties you can buy up front that cover surgical costs for redos or replacement. Some guarantee their work and do any repair for free or greatly discounted.

Pennie -I'm the plan administrator for our insurance plan and spoke to our Medicare liason this morning on another matter, asked her your question. She said the same thing - decided on a case by case basis. She added that they are more likely to decline if it can be totally linked to the optional surgery. In the case of extra hospitalization after the procedure, that would be pretty clearly as a result of the procedure. Even she couldn't say for sure, though. Good luck.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote