Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Question only using a stationary bike???

So I'm finally ready to accept that losing weight is going to take more than just eating right... I've been in denial I guess. I've been dieting now for over 11 years and I'm so tired. Just plain tired. I must say I HATE exercise, I've tried any and every form of it looking for something I enjoy but I just don't. So I've been trying to lose weight with diet alone and sure I lose some but then one bad weekend sets me back weeks.. it's frustrating. So after much depression and soul searching I know I have to include exercise and make it a lifestyle change along with eating better. So I was burnt out on my treadmill so I bought a stationary bike thinking I'd enjoy the change of exercise. I guess my question is, is a stationary bike enough to help with the weightloss? I did an 55 min on it today and I actually enjoyed it, watched tv while peddling away and the time flew by, it was easier than the treadmill for sure and I burned more calories in half the time! that was amazing. So does anyone here just use their stationary bike for exercise and have sucessful weight loss with it?
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #2  
The spangled kind

S/C/G: 225/135/135

Height: 5'4"

I lost all of my weight using only a stationary bike (mine is a recumbent bike) probably 3-4 times a week. I was almost completely sedentary before I started using the bike, so that relatively little bit of exercise was a whole lot more than I had been getting. I joined the Y about six months ago, and I now exercise much more. But the bike was the only exercise I did while losing. For whatever reason, I tended not to ride as long when I watched TV. But if I had a good book, I would ride much longer, without ever stopping to check the clock.
Cotinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My mom used a gazelle and lost weight using it while watching tv. It sounds like you have found something that works for you.

I do have to say I recommend weights and I'd look into adding some weight resistance exercises as well. You could use resistance bands and use them while watching tv as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Some exercise and an exercise you will stick to , is better than no exercise ... Keep up the great work...

I definitely agree with nelie that you should incorporate weight training... It's another type or exercise that is easily done in front of the tv...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #5  
Never Say Never

S/C/G: 233/210/135

Height: 5'2

I honestly think stationary biking is the best I have been doing it I put on my ipod on high and ignore everything and everyone and when i realize it an hour has passed by and I have been sweating like he oinker that i am...and feel energized...love it
D22Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Agree with Ilene. Exercise you can stick with and do consistently is better than doing none. Is bike alone enough? Yes. I've lost weight doing just stationary bike as my main exercise because I was so heavy that I couldn't effectively walk or do other forms of exercise because the stress on my knees.

Having said that, if you are looking for the most effective way to lose weight, adding some strength training will be good. But start with the bike and get in the habit of exercising regularly. As you see progress you may want to add other forms of exercise in the future.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Just chiming in here, that yes, the stationary bike worked for me. At my highest weight, I began with speed walking, but it was too much & too soon -- I immediately ran into foot problems due to undiagnosed-until-then arthritic joints in my big toes & a nasty, still-with-me case of plantar fasciitis on my left foot. The doctor ordered me off my feet, so I turned to the bike. That ended up being great. My endurance improved, I lost & then maintained weight loss & my legs muscled up. My feet are doing somewhat better now but my left foot remains iffy, so I still spend at least three days out of seven on the bike -- more if the foot starts "speaking up" a lot.

My problems with the bike have nothing to do with the workout it gives me. Two things annoy me about it:

1) Friction. Despite padded bike shorts, I sometimes get a sore butt.

2) Boredom. I need very propulsive music on the iPod, constantly refreshed, and some visual stimulation of soundless TV.

I can't read on the bike. Kudos to those who can. I set the resistance pretty high & like to keep my peddling at a certain rpm, and between the two, all I can do is focus on is the workout.

Last edited by saef; 10-13-2009 at 09:40 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

thank you all so much for the encouragement! the bike must be doing something for me because I pulled myself out of bed at 4 am this morning to hop on it before work and this is all new to me, lol I just hope the weightloss follows, I've been doing really well on portion control so that with the added exercise should help.
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #9  

How has it worked for you Spryng? I see your weight loss ticker....AMAZING weight loss!!!!!!!!!! I also am FINALLY taking the leap to try exercise. I find myself winded going up one flight of stairs. I recently found that I have a knee injury so the physical therapist recommended a recumbent bike. I'm picking it up today and am HOPING that it will show me some results. Dieting alone isn't working....and I should have incorporated exercise in YEARS ago!
Did you start to see results using the bike?
khloencoltensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

Fascinating to see this thread, with my post from 2009.

Very soon after posting, I left off using the stationary bike and joined in spin classes. And then I started taking Pilates. And then I got interested in lifting weights.

And now, after being hit by a car, I've come full circle: I'm back on a stationary bike, but now it's a recumbent bike. I need to build up my leg strength again before I can go back to spin class and do some of the tougher weight lifting exercises like squats and deadlifts.

(Hello to my former self from six years ago!)
Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Saef im sorry about your accident. Cycling is probably the funnest class I've ever done. I love it way more than elliptical and the guy that teaches it is a lot of fun. Brutal...but fun.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Saef, that must have been some accident but I know you'll be up and at'em in no time!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

Thanks, both of you. What it means is that I've looked at bikes from both sides now, and if you need to be partial weight-bearing or need to build up length strength or rest your feet, they are great.

I can't do spin class yet, though I wish I could. My spin classes had way too many standing sprints and other standing pedaling, and I'm not ready for that. I was thrilled to get up on the elliptical for with light resistance for 20 minutes at physical therapy the other day. Baby steps, baby steps, like when I lost the weight.

I am hearing loud & clear at physical therapy that my not weighing 259 pounds, as I did back in 2006, and being physically fit from gym time spent keeping off nearly all of that 100-lb weight loss are helping me immensely in my recovery. So I am glad for the effort my former self put into weight loss and maintenance, and glad for how this website has helped me over the years!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #14  

The exercise peddler is really good for you to keep exercising even while you are inside the house, watching TV, reading a book, etc. It will pump your blood circulation and it will makes you sweat and for consequence lose weight. I recommend you to check out this article to know more about the benefits of it. exercise-peddler.com
MarcoCotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:25 AM   #15  

Default Treadmill is better than stationary bikes

Treadmill might feel difficult than a stationary bike. At the beginning all exercises might feel difficult. But if you started training your boy, it will come to the path where you aimed for.

NO doubt, treadmill gives better result than a stationary bike. While using tread mill your whole body is affecting the act and thus you dont need to concentrate on a specific part of your body. Every part will reduce equally where the bike couldn't give such a resut.

Start running on a treadmill, gradually increase the speed and duration of laps. You will get results within a month.
priyasarandc is offline   Reply With Quote