Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Veggies for breakfast????

I have been trying to figure out how I can incorporate some veggies into my breakfast, but I am having a hard time thinking of things. To me, even though I LOVE most vegetables, it seems weird to eat them for breakfast! Outside of adding peppers and onions into some scrambled egg whites or an egg white omelet, I am stumped. You guys have any good ideas?? Should I not worry about it too much as long as I eat plenty of veggies throughout the rest of the day?
Amba Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #2  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

Why not have veggies with breakfast? I've heard of people having dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner. Have scrambled egg whites with a side of veggies...who's to say you can't do that...I've had turkey and broccolli (spelled wrong) for breakfast before....that's what I wanted so that's what I had. Go ahead...eat your veggies whenever you choose to..ENJOY THEM!!
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I actually have an issue with eating in the morning. I rather drink a smoothie than physically eat something.

One of my favorite things that I haven't done in a while is a fruit/spinach smoothie.

Here are some various recipes:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Dr-Oz-Green-...pe-Intructions
http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/gree...-recipe-2.html
http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showpost.php?p=438347
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #4  

Well my thing is I'm not a big breakfast eater to begin with. When I wasn't dieting I would skip breakfast all together. But if I DO eat breakfast its gotta be typical breakfast foods (i.e. eggs, cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc.) As much as I like veggies, I don't think I could stomach eating a salad or plain broccoli first thing in the morning. But that actually gave me an idea...I could put some chopped broccoli and cauliflower in scrambles eggs/omelets with a little fat free cheese. I could handle that!

My main reason for wanting to add some veggies in my breakfast is that they help satisfy your hunger, but they are low cal (and nutritious, of course). I add lots of veggies to my other meals.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I actually have an issue with eating in the morning. I rather drink a smoothie than physically eat something.

One of my favorite things that I haven't done in a while is a fruit/spinach smoothie.
Thanks for those links! Do the smoothies actually taste good?? There are some really funky ingredients in some of those...hard to imagine that they would be tasty! lol I will def. give some of them a try though!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #6  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amba Dawn View Post
Thanks for those links! Do the smoothies actually taste good?? There are some really funky ingredients in some of those...hard to imagine that they would be tasty! lol I will def. give some of them a try though!
Honestly, they are delicious! Surprisingly, raw spinach has a very mild taste and is overwhelmed by the fruit flavors. Kale can be a bit bitter so I wouldn't recommend a kale smoothie until someone has played around with spinach smoothies.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Honestly, they are delicious! Surprisingly, raw spinach has a very mild taste and is overwhelmed by the fruit flavors. Kale can be a bit bitter so I wouldn't recommend a kale smoothie until someone has played around with spinach smoothies.
Cool! As long as I don't feel like throwing up with my first taste, I'm down with trying! To be honest, I don't even know what the heck kale is lol And I really don't think my local Krogers grocery carries it! haha!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/165/150

Height: 5'5

Ahh! A question I can contribute to!

Some great ways to get veggies into your breakfast: Any one or a combination of the following mixed into our eggs:

Wilted baby spinach, mushrooms, onions, peppers, diced tomatoes, cooked broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower

Also, topping your omelette or scrambled eggs with a healthy garden salsa will add some zip and lots of fresh flavor and veggies without adding fat.

What I do:

Take diced onions, mushrooms and peppers and saute them until peppers and mushrooms are soft, and onions carmelize. Throw in some diced tomatoes, fresh baby spinach and diced low fat ham. Cook until baby spinach wilts and ham and tomatoes are warmed through. Add beaten eggs or egg substitute. Either scramble all together or allow to cook into an omelette. Season with pepper, salt and dill weed. Shredded low fat cheese is optional, and should be added at the end, if used. Top with salsa.

This will not be an attractive dish...but it is delicious. I've been known to eat this as dinner as well. You are covering protein (egg and ham), veggie and possibly dairy, if you use cheese. I keep the veggie items cleaned and chopped in small baggies in my fridge so they are ready for me to throw together on a busy morning.

Geez. Now I'm hungry. LOL!

Kat

Last edited by Katarina; 10-12-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #9  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amba Dawn View Post
Cool! As long as I don't feel like throwing up with my first taste, I'm down with trying! To be honest, I don't even know what the heck kale is lol And I really don't think my local Krogers grocery carries it! haha!
Oh I'm sure they do, it is a very popular green, I love it It is good steamed with a little lemon juice and some garlic. In a breakfast green smoothie, it can be 'interesting'
Old 10-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, one thing that might not be obvious, is that eggs don't have to be the dominant part of the dish. It can be mainly a veggie dish, with some egg as an accent.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
Ahh! A question I can contribute to!

Some great ways to get veggies into your breakfast: Any one or a combination of the following mixed into our eggs...
Wow, that sounds really good!! Thanks a bunch!! Up to this point, its always been either bran cereal with a banana in it or plain-jane eggs (sometimes with peppers & onions) and maybe a turkey sausage patty/link. Kinda boring! lol I'm excited for tomorrow morning! haha! I don't have ALL of those ingredients, but I have enough of them to give it a shot without having to go to the store! Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #12  
99 lbs. Gone!

My all time fave omelet is ham, cheese, and chopped fresh tomato.

Here's an idea I have yet to try:

Greek Omelet with Feta Cheese (if you're worried about fat, I've found fat-free and low-fat versions of feta)
Ingredients

2 - cup fresh spinach leaves, cut into thin strips
1/4 - cup. chopped red onions
1 - tsp. minced garlic
1/4 - cup chopped tomatoes
4 - eggs
1/4 - cup water
1/2 - cup Crumbled Feta Cheese, divided
Directions

Spray small nonstick skillet with cooking spray.

Add spinach, onions and garlic; cook on medium heat 4 min. or until onions are tender, stirring frequently.
Stir in tomatoes.
Beat eggs and water with wire whisk until well blended.
Pour evenly over spinach mixture; tilt skillet to evenly distribute eggs. As eggs set, lift edge slightly with spatula to allow uncooked portion to flow underneath.
When eggs are almost set, sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup of the cheese.
Cook an additional 1 to 2 min. or until eggs are set.
Slip spatula underneath, tip skillet to loosen and gently fold omelet in half.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Remove from heat; let stand 2 min. to allow cheese to melt slightly. Cut in half to serve.
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #13  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey northern neighbor,

I'm a displaced Buckeye, originally from east/central Ohio. Anyway, if carbs are not an issue for you I usually have my eggs in a tortilla. I'll use just whites w/some cheese, turkey sausage, zucchini and onion and make a burrito. But you could add any of the veggies listed above, just preference. I could eat zucchini in any dish. In fact I just picked up a roll of turkey sausage to make these in the morning, yummy. Now I can't wait til breakfast!!
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #14  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

One of my favorite breakfasts is sauted chopped onion, zucchini, and mushrooms with scrambled eggs. It's so yummy, you will want to lick the plate! lol Cook the veggies first with a little bit of oil, then add the eggs and cook until they are done. Very good!
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #15  

Thank you guys for all the great ideas!! I will definitely be using them!