Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Default Just like the last time I started losing weight

This might be a little tmi for some so I apologize. The same thing happened when I started eating smaller portions a few years ago: I've become constipated. I know I'm eating plenty of veggies and fruites and whole wheat type foods with plenty of fiber. I really can't figure it out. When I eat really unhealthy foods, I feel like I may have ibs because anything can trigger insane stomach cramps/running to the bathroom, now that I'm eating less food and food that's more healthy, it's as if I don't need to go to the bathroom ever. This is exactly what happened a few years ago and NOTHING helped (laxatives etc) so I'm not surprised. Maybe I should take some kind of fiber supplement..?
Has anyone had any experience with this? Anything at all would help because I'm getting a little worried.
Thanks guys!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, you should eventually have a BM; but yes, this can happen with a change in diet. I used to have severe IBS with cramping and chronic diarrhea, but when I started eating healthier and adding fiber, that cleared up for the most part. It kinda makes sense though; your eating less, so less to come out for the draught. The body tends to hang on to what is there though; slowing things down a bit too.

Maybe try some Metamucil (I like the sugarfree berry-flavored one); just add a tsp to a glass of water and drink it BEFORE you eat your meals (ie lunch and/or dinner). At first, you may have to take it before each meal. Also make sure that you get enuff fluids in each day as well. I found that this helps the best ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #3  
One Old Jedi

S/C/G: 306/208/195

Height: 6'0"

I went on a fasting diet, you know the ones with the shakes
a few years back and I had the most difficult bms you could imagine.
They were scary, the fiber is a must and also you can use
Ducosate sp? Sodium it comes in little gel capsules over the counter
It also is not habit forming, it is just a form of salt that helps your
body carry water down with your stool.... water is the key

Absolutely scary !!! if anyone has ever had a really difficult time
It will scare the bejeepers out of yourself

Water, Fiber and the sodium was the ticket for me...

The Orange One
PSP Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #4  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

I have this problem too. I think it comes from eating less fat. Are you getting in some healthy oils?
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

When you say that you're eating plenty of fruits and veggies, just how much are we talking about here? Is it really plenty or is it just more then in the past?

Another thing. It is vital when adding in fibrous foods to also add in PLENTY of water. The fiber absorbs lots of it and therefore even more is needed. So make sure to drink a lot of water.

I also agree about adding in a tad of healthy fats.

Also exercise is a great way to get things moving.

And lastly, it could be that your body needs to adjust to the changes.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #6  
Real Me in here Somewhere

S/C/G: 194.8/155/132?

Height: 5'1"

I had the same problem when I first started eating healthy...it was actually making me feel fatter! Just stick with eating better foods and give it time, your body is adjusting is all It took almost a month for me to be back on track, so don't give up what your doing!
GivTLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have had this trouble also. I also imagine that it is because of low fat. It seems like there are 4 things that cause constipation; not enough fiber, water, fat, or exercise. It seems like not having enough healthy fat is usually my issue. If you are low on any of these 4 things, try increasing it.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Thanks for all the help guys! I definitely feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I do exercise everyday and I've read that it helps so maybe my body just needs time. Hopefully this is something that will adjust on its own but I'm going to try the fiber and the ducosate. Also, I've been wondering if I drink enough water for some time now so maybe thats part of it.
Thanks again!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote