Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 AM   #1  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Question Proteins, carbs, and fats OH MY!

Hi!

Ive been sitting here trying to figure out around what numbers I need to be sticking too and after googling, searching, and reading I give up! lol The numbers are all so wide and range, the formulas are all different, and I have no idea. Im feeling overwhelmed with all the numbers.

I was hoping someone can send me to a good site or tell me what they know! =)

I am 273 pounds, 5 foot 9 inches, and staying close to 1500 calories per day.

Thanks in advance!!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm not overly well-versed in this matter and I'm sure some of these other ladies and gentlemen can give you better advice...but I think the reason you're getting such different numbers is because every body is different. Personally, I'm not overly affected by carbs and can lose weight successfully still eating them...other people may need to cut them out completely. Little details like these take a fair amount of trial and error to figure out. If you start listening to your body, you'll figure out where YOUR numbers are, screw the formulas.

For the records, I think its always a good ideas to stick with lean proteins, lots of veggies, a fair amount of fruit, whole-grain carbs and healthy fats. The mix of those things is just going to take some experimentation... just my two cents.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been interested in "diet typing" theories - ways to predict optimum diet for people based on unique characteristics.

The Hauser diet, (Marion Hauser) seems promising, but I would call it a working theory NOT by any means a proven diagnostic tool. Same with the metabolic typing tests. (Both are based on theories going back to the 1930's)

I'm finding surprisingly little crticism of the approach, but no independent support either (a lot of glowing reviews, from people who have tried the diets - not from independent researchers or experts in the field).

The Hauser diet uses questionairres and blood test results to determine a person's ideal diet, using animal models. Lion (high protein diet), Otter (modified high protein diet), Bear (50% protein/fat 50% carbs), Monkey (low fat), and Giraffe (vegetarian).

It's an interesting idea, but far from proven. I do find it interesting that of the several diet typing tests I've taken (mostly online - just googled diet type), I always end up in the low-carb category (a Lion, on the Hauser diet), and I find it is the diet I lose and FEEL best on (and the one that everything I've ever been taught says is unhealthy - I still have trouble sticking to the plan, as a result - or maybe it's just denial and petulance - I LIKE starchy and sugary carbs, but if I'm honest with myself I have to virtually eliminate them).

Last edited by kaplods; 10-12-2009 at 08:12 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I like mypyramidtracker.gov. It calculates what you need for your sex, age, and height and when you track what you eat, it breaks out the food groups and gives you smiley faces if you meet the guidelines. You can then drill deeper to see the specific nutrients (macor and micro) if you care to get into that detail.

A bit of a warning if you drill down to the nutrient level. They've made a bit of an error there, the carbs they list is the lowest acceptable level but if you get the balance of food groups they recommend you will always go over.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think 1500 is pretty low for your calorie needs- but if you are losing and okay with it- then stick to it- at your weight you can probably eat up to 2,000 calories a day (good cal's) and still lose.

That being said, for me, I don't handle carbs well so I stay away from eating too many (yes that includes whole grain/whole wheat) carbs.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I think you need to experiment to find what works for you. I like to keep fats low but other than that, I don't really concern myself with percentages. My percentages range from 55% carbs to 70% carbs per day. I try to eat a well rounded diet with plenty of veggies, fruits, legumes, healthy fats and some whole grains.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #7  
Soul Cyster

Oh man nelie I wish! I eat 20-30% carbs a day, anything above that I stop losing weight- darn my PCOS
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I have PCOS as well and really what determines my weight loss seems to be if I eat too many starchy carbs (bread, rice, grains). I can eat plenty of beans, fruit, veggies and I'm fine.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I use the livestrong.com website. It calculates how many calories I need to eat to lose weight (1, 1.5, or 2 lbs per week), based on my weight, height, & age. Then it has a thing called "my plate" where you keep track of all the food you eat for the day--they have a database you can search for all the foods..I haven't eaten anything yet I couldn't find on there. Then it keeps track of percentage of calories, carbs, proteins, etc. you have eaten for the day based on your needs. It will also turn all of that data into graphs and charts. It has a thing to keep track of how much water you've drank and keeps track of your exercise for the day. I really like it!
Amba Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #10  
Soul Cyster

I guess it really goes to show bodies are different because even when I get most of my carbs from fruits and beans I tend to stall. I barely eat fruit at the moment.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #11  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Aw Thanks ladies! I will def check out those sites! Ive been using fitday to input my food, activities, weight and everything. It doesnt give me smiley faces when I meet guidelines! =( haha

Im going to just play around with them I guess and find out what I need. Ive lost in the past week so I guess Im doing something right. I just seem to get obsessed with numbers and wanted to know an axact number to stay under but I will have to give my body a few weeks to tell me! =)

Thanks!!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote