Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #1  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

Default I hate this sometimes....

SO I WEIGHED MYSELF TODAY..WELL I WASNT SUPPOSED TO WEIGH MYSELF UNTIL TUESDAY...BUT I WAS ANXOIUS...AND IT FREAKEN SAID 213!!! 2LBS UP!!! MAYBE IF I WAITED TIL TUESDAY I WOULD SAY UNDER 211 LOL??BUT I CANT BELIEVE IT WENT UP I HATE IT!! USUSALLY WHEN THIS HAPPENS OVER AND OVER IT CAUSES ME TO JUST GIVE UP!!!! I HAVE BEEN EXERCISING EVERYDAY, BUT THERES A FEW SNACK CHOICES THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A NO NO! ITS SO DEPRESSING I JUST WANT TO LOOOOOSE LIKE BEFORE! I COULD LOOSE 10LBS IN A MONTH AND AT THE RATE THIS IS GOING, I WONT BE 10LBS LIGHTER ON OCT 22. BUT I JUST GOT MY 30 DAY SHRED AND I AM STARTING IT TOMORROW!

AND I WAS WONDERING,, MY MOM ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT WHEN YOUR TRYING TO lose weight, EXERCISE EVERY OTHER DAY, BECAUSE IF I DO IT EVERYDAY ILL JUST GET MUSCLE. (WITH THE 30DAY & THE ONE IM USING NOW) WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #2  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

I think you can stop shouting

I can't even read all of that post!

From the part I was able to read, you say that you are up 2 pounds? If you've been eating properly it's likely water weight. Once you've been tracking your weight for a few weeks you'll have a better idea of the trends that your body goes through.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yep, turn off the caps lock.

And stay off the scale!

The reason to exercise every other day is to let your muscles rest, not to avoid building them. All you need to do really is to exercise different groups of muscles and use different machines each day. 5 times a week would be good.

Ten pounds in two weeks is most likely an unrealistic goal. Why bother with goals like that anyway? If you only lost 8 pounds, would you feel like a failure? Because that would be silly.

Keep going... don't give up... Make sure you are eating in a healthy way and not trying to "starve" yourself...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Well, you probably know all this already but:

1. Daily weight fluctuations are totally normal. Don't pay too much attention to daily weight changes. What you want are long term trends (there could even be weeks during the weight loss process where you will not lose or even gain weight). When you do weigh yourself, do it same time of the day under same conditions. I.e., first thing in the morning, no clothes, etc.

2. Take tape measurements of chest, wast and hip. Do this weekly to track progress but don't worry too much if #'s don't change too much week to week. Again, what's important is the overall long term trend.

3. If you don't see results, answer isn't to quit. Try something different. Maybe cut out an extra snack. Add a new exercise. Etc.

I know a lot of us (and I do this too) have a tendancy to give up so easily. Everything is all or nothing. If we don't get fast results, we might as well just go back to how things were. But what I realized is that with such an attitude, I might as well try to lose any weight because there will always be setbacks. What's important is learning to deal with the setbacks and trying to overcome them by making positive changes.

As to your last question, you want to add muscle!!! That's the whole point of working out. Having more muscle will help you lose more weight in the long run because pound for pound, muscle uses up more calories than fat. Now, you may want to have one or two rest days during the week, but frankly in the beginning working out everyday is just fine.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #5  
On my way to Skinny!

No i started my diet september 22nd. I wanted to loose 10lbs in a month which is october 22nd
Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

That's perhaps optimistic, but not unreasonable. Keep going! Don't give up! See how you do!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #7  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

just keep going. i also gained a pound this week. i have plateaued for up to 6 weeks at a time since i started. you just cant give up. no matter what the scale does to you, you tweak your plan if you need to, if you dont, you just keep going. sometimes our bodies dont make sense. sometimes i can do the exact same thing for 2 weeks, one week ill lose 2 lbs, the next week, ill gain one back. there isnt always a science to it, you just have to keep pushing yourself.

also, i advise everyone to avoid time based goals. 10 lbs a month is a lofty goal to begin with, but what if you only lose 8 or 6? are you going to celebrate your loss, or be disappointed you didnt make your goal? setting up timetables is a dangerous thing because sometimes your body just doesnt want to lose that fast for no good reason.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

You can exercise everyday as long as you aren't lifting heavy weights to failure (where your muscle can no longer lift the weight after 8-12 reps). If your body is really sore it's also ok to take a rest day. It's good to do something most days of the week even if it's just walking.

If 30 day means Jillian's workout it's pretty hard to build alot of muscle with that workout since it's such light weights, the most you'll be lifting with it is 3-5 pounds dbs
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #9  
On my way to Skinny!

Thank you everyone! I know i get extremely unmotivated...and I was thinking to myseld a bit ago I am not going to give up this time. I have been wanting to lose weight for 4 years!!!! I bought a new scale today, it tells you your weight, bmi, and water weight. cant figure it out yet lol! But thank you all
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #10  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

At the risk of going against the scales gods, how about setting yourself a goal like, feeling better in that pair of pants you like? Or finding that your bra is less rigid and doesn't dig in under the arms?
Once you hit those, you could go with feeling better walking upstairs with the laundry basket?
To start those might be easier goals, and don't offer any room for 'failing'.
Just a suggestion - either way - good on you for exercising at all....I can't find the motivation!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

Gaining muscle is a good thing. ALthough you won`t get instant rewards on the scales, you will, if you count inches. Maybe you should measure yourself in a few places now and then again every 2 weeks (not more often). Even if your scales don`t compliment you, your measuring tape will, so you always score! :-)
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #12  
On my way to Skinny!

So I bought a new scale yesterday...the one that told me 213 was broken...and i just weighed my self it says 211.0!! yay so I didnt gain 2 lbs!! I am almost to -1lb last week it was 211.6!!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #13  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with what others have said. I weigh myself at the same time once a week. I do sometimes just cuz I am curious weigh myself at other times but the only one that "counts" is the one I do on Wed morning. I know it goes up and down some but if I feel like maybe I have gained a few then I might cut back a little on calories and bump up my work out some.

Just keeping going and you will figure out what works for you!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #14  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Something else I recall from doing the CAD was the idea of weighing yourself daily, at the same time etc., and then creating an average for the week. You then track your averages - it's meant to be much more accurate.
Something to consider!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateosmama2005 View Post
So I bought a new scale yesterday...the one that told me 213 was broken...and i just weighed my self it says 211.0!! yay so I didnt gain 2 lbs!! I am almost to -1lb last week it was 211.6!!
I don't want to be a Debby Downer, but if you weighed yourself originally on the 213 scale, the number of pounds you lost/gained is probably true. Not all scales are exactly calibrated, but if you are using one scale consistently, it doesn't really matter if the actual number is correct or not.

Either way, just continue to make good food choices and get exercise and you'll see positive changes in your body. Keep at it!
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote