Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default how much water do you drink in a day?

I'm really terrible about this! I know the recommended amount is 8 glasses a day but I never get that much! I probably get 1 or 2 glasses of water a day, and drink coffee the rest of the time which is so bad since it dehydrates you!

Personally I hate drinking plain water. I tried those Special K flavored protein waters once but they are kind of expensive. I haven't really tried Crystal Light before, but on their website it says that women who drink Crystal Light consume up to 20% more water. Does anyone else drink it? What tips do you have for getting more water in a day?

Last edited by blueberry3; 10-06-2009 at 10:06 PM.
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I drink a lot of water....usually a gallon a day.
As for Crystal Light....it contains aspartame, which is not the best thing for anyone.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I actually don't worry about my water intake much. From the research I've read, while we do need to stay hydrated, our liquid intake can come from many sources, including all liquids and many foods we eat. I do make sure to drink up when I'm working out and/or sweating, but otherwise I just eat and drink what I will...

Many people do drink water as a way to help them keep feeling full, I know. And others like how it makes them feel. But my take on the literature leads me to believe we worry about it a little too much with regard to hydration...

Last edited by Heather; 10-06-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I usually do 100+ ounces a day
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #5  
Losing to conceive

S/C/G: 363/343/160

Height: 5'5"

i drink at least a gallon a day what i do is i fill up my gallon jug every morning and by the end of the night before bed i will have forced myself to drink it all or have filled it once more if it was hot or i did alot of activity. i have tried crystal light its ok but i prefer just water.
fromthick2thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Yeah I drink about a gallon to a gallon 1/2 a day.
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #7  

I drink quite a bit of water - at least 8 glasses a day, sometimes more. I didn't like it when I first started but now that I'm in the habit I look forward to my water.

I'm not a fan of crystal light, too sweet and it tastes unnatural.

I've been wanting to try the Kellogs fiber water but it's not available in Canada (at least not that I've found).
getfitchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

I keep a water bottle at my desk and fill it a couple of times a day. I could force down a gallon a day, but when I was doing that I was running to the bathroom every 15 minutes to pee. I've read articles that state that the old "8 glasses per day" rule isn't necessary and so I don't really get too concerned about water. As long as I'm hydrated (pee is pale yellow--not orange and not clear), then I am good with that.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I actually don't worry about my water intake much. From the research I've read, while we do need to stay hydrated, our liquid intake can come from many sources, including all liquids and many foods we eat. I do make sure to drink up when I'm working out and/or sweating, but otherwise I just eat and drink what I will...

Many people do drink water as a way to help them keep feeling full, I know. And others like how it makes them feel. But my take on the literature leads me to believe we worry about it a little too much with regard to hydration...
+1 There is an increase in hyponatremia which can kill you.

Drink water instead of other things. Drink to thirst.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

Yeah, when I hear about people "chugging" water or forcing themselves to drink tons of it, I worry a little bit about that. We should definitely stay hydrated; no doubt about that. But I have my doubts about trying to counter-balance too much sodium with "chugging" tons of water. It doesn't sound healthy or wise. (Just to be clear, I haven't seen that suggested in this thread at all; it's been in other threads that I see that idea from time to time)
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I drink between 1/2 gallon and a gallon a day. I'd have a horrible headache if I drank less than 1/4 gallon! I do also drink coffee in the morning, about 2 cups, and sometimes another cup in the afternoon, but that doesn't count towards my water, because like you said it dehydrates you.

Part of the reason I drink so much is that it really doesn't help to keep me fuller. I find that a lot of the time, when I think I'm hungry, it's actually thrist. Helps me eat less!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #12  

Yeah I like that drinking water or Crystal light or other things during the day helps keep you from getting hungry --- really helpful especially if you have long days! I'm impressed, it seems like most people here drink gallons of water a day... that's tough to do!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #13  
sucker for candy corn

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

I drink 10 cups per day. I usually don't even think about water until about noon - at which time this intense thirst hits and I down my first 2 cups of water for the day. From there I drink a cup every hour or so.
Civakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I drink around 3 liters every day.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #15  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I drink water whenever I'm thirsty, and stop when I feel satisfied. That's it. I can have a hard time drinking plain water too -- I'm sure it's not as good for you as water but sometimes I'll drink the 10-calories-per-serving flavors of Gatorade, if I just can't bring myself to drink water. I've found that I have a much easier time drinking water during & after my daily workout -- before that it's like pulling teeth.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote