Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 AM   #1  
not-so-skinny jeanz.

S/C/G: strt;245. crnt;260* goal;[225]

Height: 5'8 !

Default WHOLE milk + special k cereal.

does that defeat the special k challenge purpose? i know the box says skim milk.. but i haven't had a chance to get any yet. most of the time.. actually i allllways use whole milk in my cereal. is this bad? and is this preventing me from losing weight? what's up with this [whole] milk thing?
plus sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #2  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Well, whether you lose weight depends entirely on how many calories you consume and expend over the course of a day (more like week, really, days are just easier to count). So no one individual item will prevent you losing. Look on the milk to see how many calories are in the amount you drink, and count it into your daily total. There's no need to switch to skimmed as long as you are creating enough of a deficit in other areas. Even whole milk is not high in fat compared to many foods.
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #3  
not-so-skinny jeanz.

ohh okay! thank you. i feel so much better now.

serving size/1 cup of milk;
CAL: 160
TOTAL FAT: 9g

serving size/1 cup of cereal;
CAL: 110
TOTAL FAT: 0g
is this good?
&
how many calories should i consume a day?
thanks for theee help (:
Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #4  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

260 calories for breakfast is almost low to me. I usually have about 300 calories for breakfast unless I had a huge dinner the night before, then I scale it down a bit. I think, for all purposes though, you are doing very good even without switching to skim milk yet. When you do switch to skim, you could add a little more substance to your breakfast, or you could use the calories for another meal or snack later on. Remember, calories in vs. calories out, create a deficit from your energy needs and you will lose weight.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

How many calories should you aim to eat per day?

Start a separate thread and ask this question: there's lots of good wisdom here on that subject. 1600 is working for me (I started at 257 lbs) but some are managing to eat more than that and still lose.

You've come to the right place to ask all these questions! Keep on asking! It's exciting to see you learn all this stuff!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #6  
not-so-skinny jeanz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana in Canada View Post
1600 is working for me (I started at 257 lbs) but some are managing to eat more than that and still lose.

You've come to the right place to ask all these questions! Keep on asking! It's exciting to see you learn all this stuff!
YOU'RE AWESOME. i like you (: i think i will make a new thread b/c i really need to get the hang of this calorie intake stuff! and you started off around the same weight iam now. how long did it for you to get to your current weight? i know it doesn't happen overnight though.

& mango.. what do you usually eat for breakfast that's about 300 calories? i could always use a change!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #7  

I grew up on whole milk... and it took a long time before I made a switch to a lower fat milk... and the switch wasn't that bad.... especially when you eat with cereal it's not bad at all... I say make the switch to 2% or !% sooner than later.
MommaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #8  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Let me add though, if you're drinking milk in the day too, the calories from whole add up quickly. If it's one cup a day though, it shouldn't affect your overall weight loss.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Have you ever tried almond milk. Unsweetened, it is actually 1/2 the calories of skim. I actually prefer it to cows milk as does my hubby.

I read something here that made perfect sense to me. Some poster said, "cows milk was meant for baby calves with the aim to make them cows." LOL--that pretty well put it into perspective for me and will forever more.

You know, as long as you are careful about quantity, I am sure it's fine though.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana in Canada View Post
How many calories should you aim to eat per day?

Start a separate thread and ask this question: there's lots of good wisdom here on that subject. 1600 is working for me (I started at 257 lbs) but some are managing to eat more than that and still lose.

If I am not mistaken, this is her thread here asking about calorie intake? http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ie-intake.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #11  
not-so-skinny jeanz.

thanks everyone who helped & responded! i have actually switched to skim milk. it has less calories of course & i don't feel guilty using it lol. idk about almond milk. maybe i'll consider trying it? *shrugs* less calories & less fat is always a good choice in my book (:
i lost 9lbs! but i can't tell at all. but hey, its what the scale says.