Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful deiting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck easues you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before monving on to the next. And you'll learn tehcniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll acheive a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – November 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – October 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – September 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007
Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I stood down the VAST quantities of food at the late afternoon work event that I mentioned yesterday and had planned for; CREDIT moi. Once again, planning was the key. There were five tables overflowing: hot foods including skewered beef and fried this and that, desserts including bakery cookies and brownies, cheese cakes on their own table, fruits and candies, beer and wine and sodas. I took not one sip nor one bite. It wasn't time for a meal or a snack on my plan and I knew that if I started I'd have to struggle to limit myself - sitting down wasn't a viable option - and if I stayed the full time I wouldn't want to go to the gym.

So I shook hands with all the senior managers who show up for such events, chatted with some friends, and snuck out before it was over to get home and walk to the gym; CREDIT moi. I did indulge in a bit of self-righteousness as I did my hated lunges realizing that I could, at that very moment, be consuming FREE food instead.

"little thing" (maryblu) - Waving. Still laughing at your tale.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Interesting that you see Beck in Kessler's The End of Overeating. Yep, "makes sense no matter how you say it." Super Kudos for taking out your stress on a treadmill instead of food. Is it a coincidence that the gig that provides the stress provides a free gym?

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for not having a bathroom. (Did I just write that, LOL?) And Double Yay for an appealing quote on skim coating your DR and LR. As the owner of a 130 year old house, I know about horsehair plaster letting go of the lathe.

ChinaMaine - Yay for forcing yourself to take some short breaks. I hope you have a restful five days off with your visitor. Thanks for the reminder that resisting "delicious foods" would be more difficult. That helped me get my head straight before I walked into my event yesterday.

Do you hear the faint sound of the Dave Matthews Band in the background?

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Ouch! Sending supportive thoughts as you recover from a tough evaluation of your work. There couldn't be art unless different people liked different styles, but I can't imagine knowing that would make it any easier. Kudos for leaving some pasta on your plate - that remains a hard one for me as I'm a card carrying member of the starving-children-in-China club.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for being enough ahead on your September exercise plan so that you made your goal even though skipping the last day. And a good thing too, since it might be hard to return your Brazilian DVD reward after it's been used, LOL.

Kim (Kim in NH) - Kudos for continuing your experiment with "alcohol denial" (not the usual way denial is used regarding alcohol). Good Beck stuff that you converted an invitation to chocolate cake into a warning. LOL that buying my corn "took a very short path from denial to indulgence." Good luck with your new exercise schedule - sounds invigorating.

Liz (upallnight116) - Major Kudos for hanging in there despite feeling pushed down and kicked. That's the hardest time to remember that you deserve to take care of yourself even when the Universe is stacked against you.

And Kudos for keeping up with your food journaling as well as recording your thoughts and feelings. Good stuff going on with you.

litalo - Neat that you're already recognizing the Sabotaging Thoughts even before your dieting phase begins. And Kudos for standing down the lure of Wendy's despite 30 minutes of begging.

Yep, this group is ready to be your on-line Diet Coach / Diet Buddy, and, of course, ask that you play the reciprocal role with us. There is one person who posts about success with a real life Diet Coach - a good idea if you can set it up.

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
extra advantages
There are four major benefits to dieting that may not have occurred to you:

1. Your cravings will diminish.
2. You won't struggle over whether or not to eat something you know you shouldn't.
3. You'll feel good when you resist unplanned eating.
4. You won't feel guilty and demoralized because you gave in to cravings.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 56.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

I'm reading the first Judith Beck book. I think it's brilliant! I hope to stop in to chat with you folks from time to time.

Jay
Old 10-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Happy October. I usually like October.

Headache this morning. Waiting for coffee and Excedrin to kick in.

Anne
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #5  

Default Feel like a failure

Hit my first major slip-up this afternoon. Ate off of plan with forethought and intention. I thought about the consequences and promptly decided to ignore them and falsely justify my decision. Now I'm kicking myself, of course. I know everyone slips up every now and then, but I feel like I've ruined the whole thing, even thought I know it's irrational to think that. Ugh.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

"Happy October. I usually like October"

Easy for *you to say, wndranne. It is 45 rainy degrees here. And to think less than a week ago I was swimming! %^#%^%@^#$# There is not a 60 degree high reading in the foreseeable future. Weird, because it has been so warm the maples are just now turning.

Welcome, JayEll, I have read many of your wise words on other threads.

To Gardenjoy and all those in zones 5 or above, I have serious Zone Envy. Only ChinaMaine and Kim in NH can feel my pain. Our next killing frost threat is projected for Oct. 10th. I don't have my cold frame assembled yet, so I guess the herb bed will get the sheet treatment. I can't stand the thought of not being able to step outside the kitchen door and snipping whatever I need.

BillBE, thanks for the reminder of how meaningless a certain number of pounds lost is and the potential trap. I am usually the biggest proponent of the scale trap, and we are living proof that age is just a number.

Am thinking good thoughts for all my faithful Beckie friends and to the new ones..you know who you are
Old 10-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Evening Beckies!

Food is weird....unplanned but not so bad choices. Hubs seems to have an aversion to my cooking while the house is in the state its in. So we have been eating supper out alot or bringing in takeout.

The new tub is in!! its huge and deep and even has arm rests! Ohhhhhhhh Im looking forward to crawling into that thing with lots of hot bubbley water As of right now, we are only allowed to have sponge baths. Oh! It wont be long now!

I think I may have a workout partner. She wants to go in the mornings and is just like me. Will find every excuse in the book to NOT go. Im going to set her up with some of my free passes and hopefully we can get a routine going.

Sleep tight everyone!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #8  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hey everyone!

4 days in a row, OP. huzzah! all my worry weight gone, back down to 166. will change it officially next monday. i'm still feeling a whole lotta aaargh about my job, thinking that maybe i could play around with getting outside a victim mentality and figure out an escape route. life is too friggin' short - but i'm not going to do anything hasty and cause myself even MORE stress, just about a different thing (e.g. not being able to pay the mortgage.) there's a road out of here, but i haven't thought very clearly about what it might look like. the universe sometimes has a swell idea or two - perhaps i could throw it out there and see what comes back. it's better than wallowing, right?

nice to see you here, jayell! and anne, here's to a glorious october. sorry mary - we're in a 5/6 (depending on what side of the street you stand on.) it's rainy but mellow and nicely fall. this weekend we'll take el nino to a pumkpin patch and let him go crazy.

it's late and i'm tired... ready to turn in. night night!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

I gave into the sabotaging thought "Take two; they're small." I bake my own bread, so one end is often considerably shorter than the other, making the slices seem small. The tricky thing about both that thought and the one I was working with a few days ago ("Just one won't hurt") is that, on the face of things, they are true. But, they are also the first step on a slippery slope that sends me down to eating whatever I want whenever I want.

Next time I think a slice of bread is too small, I'll either cut a thicker slice or allow myself some fruit with it. Either choice is better than two slices.

WI: no change in kgs , Exercise: +42, 42/1300 minutes for October, Food: op (mostly) , Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

litalo: hope you followed us over to the new thread! This group is my only diet coach and that's why I'm quite deliberate about writing up a post every night. The collective wisdom here is quite astounding! I look forward to you adding to that.

BillBlueEyes: Love "indulging in self-righteousness." I think aiming to do that as often as possible might help me!

JayEll: good to see you here!

wndranne: I like October, too -- hope yours turns out well in spite of the headachey start.

upallnight116: It's way too early for you to ruin the whole thing! You're just getting started. Give Beck time to worm her way into your brain and you'll soon have proper defenses for those sabotaging thoughts.

maryblu: I do love my planting zone! I planted greens just a few weeks ago that I recently thinned for salads and I have high hopes that I'll be eating well into winter. It's my first try at that but I know of other Missouri gardeners who harvest chard from their garden in January. Hope the sheet treatment works well. Have you ever tried potting up and moving some herbs inside? I'm thinking of doing that with mint, rosemary, and parsley. I freeze pesto from the basil so I'm not so worried about that one.

RobinW: yay for the tub and the workout partner!

kuhljeanie:
you seem to be in a better place, with perspective about work coming right along with 4 days OP. Way to go!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Jay (JayEll)

Jay (JayEll)

And, LOL, in case you didn't get one of these 5.5 years and 7619 posts ago,

How did you find out about the Beck Books?

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-02-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up T G I F

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Yay for an easy on-plan day where the only food that passed before my eyes was what I'd prepared; CREDIT moi anyway - no points off for easy. Have been carrying the hope that all days would be easy, but that's not realistic since it's not possible to avoid stores and celebrations and restaurants.

Was my first walk of the season wearing a sweatshirt against the chill; CREDIT moi. I entertained the thought of only wearing a T-shirt with the notion to force myself to hustle to keep warm, but I'm glad I didn't. I'm a bit wimpy with the first drop in temperature.

maryblu - Best as I recall, you, yourself, described "Minnesoda" as one month of bliss and 11 months designed to keep the rest of us from moving there, LOL. But Ouch for your dreary, rainy day, anyway and Ouch for the end of a blissful month of swimming outside. Only a small Rosemary bush makes it inside here since every window is taken by one plant or another. Hope your cold frame gets up in time.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Congrats on the "worry weight gone." And Kudos for four days OP. You do sound like you've got your attitude back - it's neat to hear that. Hope you can use your attitude to stand down the stress at work. Sometimes a little standing-back can help, even though that might be a bit unintuitive to a can-do person.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for a huge and deep tub even though, at moment, you can only look at it, LOL. And Yay for a brief respite from cooking dinner. Hope your workout partner works out.

Anne (wndranne) - Thanks for the reminder that October is special - it really is. I thought about your comment as I walked past all the fall vegetation yesterday observing its transition toward winter dormant.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Wow, you get Kudos from me for any day you are able to have only one slice of home made bread. But Kudos for recognizing the Sabotaging Thought, ""Take two; they're small." It's just amazing the variety of Sabotaging Thoughts our brains can generate to fight this change of lifestyle.

Liz (upallnight116) - Ouch for the slip-up, but Big Kudos for being aware of the Sabotaging Thought, "I've ruined the whole thing," when of course you haven't. You've eaten off plan and you'll stay in your program and in the future you'll have stellar days and some less so. My personal analogy is football; you can't win a game without some loses and without being knocked down a bunch of times.

litalo - Waving. I join Joy (gardenerjoy) in hoping you figured out the switching of threads for the month of October.

Jay (JayEll) - It's great to have one of the pillars of 3FC join us. We can certainly use the enthusiasm of a person who has shown that long term maintenance is possible and who uses "Brilliant" to describe Beck. Would you care to share some of your Advantage Response Cards with us?

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
extra advantages
There are four major benefits to dieting that may not have occurred to you:
. . .
You might not believe right now that you'll achieve these things. But if you follow this program, you'll get to the point where you find that you just don't argue with yourself over what to eat and what not to eat.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 56.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-03-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello again everyone! And thanks for the welcome--especially from you, Bill!

I found out about Judith Beck from BILL, actually--it's just taken me some time to get around to checking it out.

Lately I've had too many instances of "Oh, what the heck, I'm just going to eat this 'cause I want to." Needless to add, the results have been what you would expect. I've been trying to get back down to my original lowest weight for almost a year now, and enough is enough.

I'll share with you a couple of my Advantages Response Card entries. One is that I'll be able to wear clothes I like--and the reason this is important to me is that I have some nice clothes that I could wear quite well at my goal weight, but don't fit so well now... Another is that I'll be able to move around better. I notice that it's harder to get around with this 10-pound flour sack strapped on...

Jay
Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #13  

Thanks for the support everyone, spoken and unspoken. I'm feeling good about getting back on track today. The hardest part of the day for me is the evening (go figure) after I get off of work.

I got an extra boost this morning when I got on the scale and the number was down--I guess one slip-up isn't the end of the world :-P.

Hope you all are having a wonderful day.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Some days it's easy. I found out today that the day I changed my life is also a significant date in a friend's life. Coincidence aside, it caused me to spend some time thinking about my befores and afters. BIG thoughts. I became a different person on December 20, 2002. I started to live my life instead of killing myself slowly with Doritos and TV. I found the person I thought I'd lost in graduate school, and realized that she/I was spectacular and definitely worth taking care of. I always say I'm never going back, but some days I feel that more strongly than others. I will not be selling this feeling of being truly alive for a bag of chips or a tub of ice cream any time soon. I am a walking ARC today. I am 100+ pounds down, and seven years in and just watch me! I could cry from sheer joy. [I'm putting this on a Memory Card, BTW--feeling it this strongly is so rare.]

And I'm finally almost done with this slow-rolling virus too, which helps. I got in a walk today, the weather is finally breaking to something less than furnace temps, and I'm planning to do a short ride on the bike tomorrow.

upallnight116 Your slip up and reaction to it are totally normal. BTDT. Over and over. Good to recognize when the tough parts of your day are, so you can plan for it, with additional distractions, healthy snacks and whatnot.

maryblu I think this is the time of year where the good weather fairy flies south. We need it!

RobinW The workout partner sounds promising. Hope that flies!

Jeanie Nice work on your 4 days. Sounds like you have a plan to make a plan about work and that's excellent! I got there myself a couple weeks ago.

gardenerjoy Love your bread plan! Hearing about the Missouri gardening makes me a touch homesick. I grew up south of St Louis in rural Missouri.

BillBE Smiling about your sweatshirt, and remembering your nice blue jacket from the spring. When will you break that out?

Jay It is good to see you here. I find the Beck strategies help sort of formalize for me all that good stuff we do as maintainers. I do better when I'm working it.

Anne
Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #15  
Green Tomatoes

Today's exercise was a struggle since time kept passing by without it happening, so I ended my day with a long yoga session. Tomorrow's exercise will be easy--already scheduled a hilly walk with a friend.

WI: -0.3kgs , Exercise: +45, 87/1300 minutes for October, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

BillBlueEyes: love that first walk in the fall in a sweatshirt! It makes me feel the new season from the inside out.

JayEll: Those are some good motivating advantages!

upallnight116: glad the scale went down! "one slip-up isn't the end of the world" -- so true!

oh, yay, wndranne! The feeling you described is so inspiring. Thanks for sharing it. Tucson is a long way from home in all kinds of ways, but especially the botany.
Closed Thread