Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~October Golden Girls~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us

There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #2  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls!
I'm sitting here typing as the lightning is shooting all around me, the dog is quaking at my feet and the rain is coming down in buckets. I usually unplug my cp at times like this but decided to live dangerously this morning. You know what a dull life I have if this is the only thing that excites me. I have to meet MIL up at the hospital, she has a hernia and someone has to be there. She's in middle stages and fast approaching the end of alzheimer's. Lately she's been calling us right after lunch to find out where her husband Woody is (He's been dead for 20 years) so it's getting worse. Usually she calls at night with that question, I've decided to start telling her Woody and DH have gone on a hunting trip and she's suppose to stay there overnight while they're gone. The nursing people said it's getting harder and harder to settle her down as she's pass reasoning with. Makes me wonder why some people get it and others don't, what causes it. Unhealthy eating comes to mind with all the processing and preservatives in food. My mom died from it 3 years ago and she never ate boxes or processed foods, everything was from scratch. On the other hand, my MIL did use short cuts in cooking from time to time and she has it too. I think DH and I are doomed to inherit something we don't want and it isn't money.
Other than my gloom and doom on such a rainy day, what's happening with everyone else?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hi all...I've been here, but having so many issues that it was too overwhelming to write about and about 7 minutes ago i thought gesh dummy that's what your friends on Golden Girls can do is be supportive! I had to stop directing in May because I just about killed my knees taking that darn pill Dr Uhho recommended. It apparently dried up all the synolival fluids and after stopping slowly am uncreaking. Hey when you spend 20 minutes trying to figure out if you can walk to the bathroom things get hairy.

But i can deal with that kinda stuff what has me in this tail spin is that Dh is now in renal failure from his diabetes. I started him on a low salt low protein diet 2 months ago. Me, too....just can't see eating normal in front of him....that is basically a diet of cardboard and saw dust. Only to find he was cheating like mad. Then a buddy (retired heavy equipment driver) came up with this book that said you could just about cure diabetes with vitamins. Doctor in California and he instant went on that diet. Luckly it only was for a week before the renal doc told him that he had to get on this 50gram low protein/low salt diabetic diet.Which is exactly what I had set up 2 months ago. That means no diet cokes, decaf coffee, no tomatoes and no salt shaker. He is absolutely refusing to do it. His kidney function will go completely down the tubes! After 2 months of begging and nagging and failing I have decided that I will let him choose his way. I will cook his proper meals and not buy the garbage he wants. Tired of being the *itch!

I have regained a bunch of weight and not been exercising. Even just floating in the pool hurt my knees. So am back to step one. I would love to south beach it but that means 2 different meals....oh well, One step at a time...

I can do THIS............I HAVE TOO....Karen3
Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #4  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I went for a glorious walk this morning in the rain. Not a rain storm but gently falling warm rain. It was wonderful. I was listening to classical music on my MP3 (Music for the Royal Fireworks by Handel) and got totally absorbed in the moment and started conducting while I was walking. I was blissfully happy at that moment and it has colored my whole day. I feel great.

Well, October is here and although I don't like autumn (such a reminder that winter is coming) I'm determined to make it a good one. Canadian Thanksgiving is in less than 2 weeks but I'm not going to get thrown off track. I'll concentrate on the baby and forget the pie (or at least more than 1 piece :0).

Nothing on my agenda today except pie making for Thanksgiving. We're having the kids here that weekend and they'll expect pie. I'm still poking around with mom's room. I've got to rehang my diplomas and a few other certificates that we had in the room before it was painted. Then I have about a million photos to sort and possibly scan onto the computer. That, of course, won't all happen today.

Must go put my dinner into fitday and see what's left for supper. Catch you all later.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #5  
Isabella

Karen3, welcome back. We've missed you so much. So sorry you've had such problems but you're right. We will support you.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #6  
Bobbi

Welcome back Karen3, we've missed you.
Quote:
i thought gesh dummy that's what your friends on Golden Girls can do is be supportive!
You've got that right, you can talk to all of us about your troubles. I'm sorry DH is in denial, but as he gets worse he'll maybe start listening to you and the doc.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #7  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Today's my second day on the "journey".... I'm excited! A little story: I'm taking my very old aunty to visit my very old mom tomorrow. Mom is fixing spaghetti "with all the fixings". I told her I didn't want to fall off the wagon quite so soon, and she said "oh, pasta is good for you, and a little garlic bread and pie won't hurt you." Mom's sabotage, maybe??
I've asked several people several times and have never had a response from anyone (including moderators): how does one start a thread????
Old 10-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #8  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Jess1 - if you go to the main sub-forum page (in this case Age 50+), you'll see the list of all of the threads (topics). Look at the bottom left hand side of the list of topics and you'll see a little button with a red arrow that says "New Thread".

Click on that and it will open up the new post page -- add your subject title, and write your post and there you go!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Welcome Back Karen3!! We have all missed you. I am so sorry to hear of all that you are going through. I am pretty much back at square one too! Between the move, the death of my Dad and my kids moving away to Florida, with no jobs in site! But I think I may have my head back in the right place and am trying to get started on ME again. You take care and remember we are here for you.

Welcome Jess! You will really like it here. We look forward to getting to know you.

Everybody have a good day and I'll check back later.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Ladies, shopping/cooking/eating right is such a mental exercise that it is VERY difficult to do when you are dealing with health problems (your own or your loved ones').

The people who have been in this group for a long time, can tell you that while I was dealing with my dh's problems, I wasn't losing at all. Everyday I would post my weight and every day it would be the same. I was embarassed to check in.

Don't beat yourself up & keep posting. When things are bad, you need your friends.

Lynn
Old 10-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

karen3, So good to see you back! The others are so right. We've all gone through times when it seemed almost impossible to deal with things going on and our health too. But, everyone here is so supportive. It's just a reminder that you are not alone.

Bobbi, I can relate with the problems with relatives with dementia also. My mom is getting worse. It's so sad to see. I'm not there to see her every day, my youngest sister is taking care of her. God Bless Her! She has the patience of a saint. She is not going to be one of those sweet little ladies that just has memory loss.

Isabella, How peaceful that sounds, walking in the gentle rain. My Gd and I went for a walk not long ago, with our umbrellas.

Karen31, I'm happy to see that you are getting back to taking care of YOU. We, as mothers, wives and daughters, are so used to taking care of everyone else, we always put ourselves last. But I think we forget that we can't take care of others if we're not well ourselves. Good incentive to keep healthy and take the time.

Lynn, We do the best we can, when we can. We've all stumbled and fallen. But the important thing is, we've all picked ourselves up and got going again.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that I just NEED this group. I've tried it on my own and it just doesn't work. I need the support, the careing the acceptance.

Freda
Old 10-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #12  
Isabella

Just coming here and posting the little victories and even the failures has certainly helped me. And losing weight takes great concentration so when life gets in the way that's what has to be taken care of first. I wonder when all this eating right and exercise will become second nature and we won't have to think about it and just do it?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #13  
Linda

S/C/G: 282/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Sorry to hear about all you're going through, Karen. It's difficult to deal with a non-compliant patient (or husband) and still fend for yourself. On top of that, bad knees just wreck a body's ability to do most anything. I had my own bout with one of my knees and for a while could barely move around the house.

Bobbi, dementia can be very trying for caretakers. My grandmother had it and at the end of her life didn't even remember any of us, but could still speak perfect German (her second language as a child) and play the piano perfectly. The good news is except for a few known conditions, no one really knows why people get it. My mother, now in her 70s, shows no signs of mental loss at all. You and your husband might as well operate under the assumption you don't have a problem, until there's reason to suspect you do have one.

Hey, jess, maybe your Mom is Italian? My husband's family is like that. Anytime we eat at their homes, the women will ask how much of something I want and when I say only a little, they load up the plate! They don't even ask if I want seconds, just plop down some more pancakes, or chicken, or whatever. I started giving whatever I didn't want to my husband on the sly, now that he's reached his goal. He gets more points than I do, and it's his family, so he can tell them not to serve me so much!

As for me, my risotto last night turned out great! I combined a Julia Child recipe with another one I had and made a mushroom risotto that was just right. I think I can improve it, but at least now I know what I'm doing. Today being Thursday, I cooked for my father-in-law. He's easy, because he only eats seven things: fish, rarely chicken, potatoes, wax beans, and carrots or broccoli if they are cooked to mush. Seriously. Menus are limited but, thank goodness, easy for me to keep on the lo-calorie side of things.

Fall is absolutely kicking into gear here, so I brought up my box of autumn decorations and now the house is bedecked with pumpkins, scarecrows and harvest themes. My favorite time of year!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #14  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Thursday already! Another week has almost bit the dust, as my father used to say. I'm feeling better, but still have little sneezing/coughing/stuffy fits every so often. Very annoying, and that's the truth. Oh, welcome back Karen3 - I just got back here myself after a long period during which life forced itself on me. It's nice to have folks welcome you back, isn't it? I'm sitting here eating 20 seedless grapes very, very slowly, waiting for supper to be done. I left instructions for DH, and he apparently followed them, but later than he should've gotten started. Grrrrrrr. Well, I guess we'll eat when it's done and not a moment before. I'm too tired to fuss. I did a little shopping at lunchtime today - bought a lightweight woolen jacket that will go nicely with a couple different skirts that I have. I wore a skirt today that was calf-length a few months ago, but now hangs to my ankles because there's less of me to hold it up. That's kind of nice, but it also was a reminder that I'd better try things on before buying them now, because my inclination is to just buy what I usually (used to) buy, and that's not going to work anymore. It's my daughter's birthday tomorrow, and we're meeting her and her husband and my granddaughter and the little twins at her favorite restaurant for supper. Her husband called and arranged it. She thinks it's just going to be him and the kids. I'm taking her clothes shopping on Sunday; we always go clothes shopping for her birthday. We've been doing it together since she was a little girl. She really needs some new things after being pregnant all last winter.
One more work day, and then two days off. Whoopee. Is it time for me to retire yet? Freda, how's your grandson doing? So scary. You just never know what's going to happen out there. If you really thought about it, you'd be afraid to let anyone you love go anywhere or do anything, you know? And how're those pies coming along, Isabella? Just thinking about them is making my mouth water. Damn grapes! I finished them and I'm still hungry! Oh, and welcome Jess1....you will absolutely love these women, I promise!
Enough for now...Bobbi, be careful on the computer when there's lightening outside! We need you in one piece, lady!

Hugs,
Z
Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi Everyone! I just finished posting on the challenge. I figured I'd better get that done before I sit down to watch some TV tonight. I cleaned my Aunts house this morning (that accounts for the 4 hours in the challenge) I worked hard and fast this morning because they were saying we would had severe thunderstorms this afternoon with hail starting about 1:00. I got home at 12:45 and the wind and the rain got here at 1:15!! I didn't do any other workout this afternoon but I did go and get my flu shot! Anyway, I'm tired tonight and that accounts for the small calorie posting too--- slimfast shake with strawberries in the blender for supper tonight.... it hit the spot!!

Have a good night.
Closed Thread