Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #1  

Default I got fat overnight

I will admit.... I didn't have the BEST weekend as far as this new healthy lifestyle goes. And then I had a burger and fries on Monday. But I've been working out a lot and otherwise eating healthy. I weighed myself today and I was up 5 lbs!!!! What the ****?? I did a cardio workout last night and then lifted heavy first thing this morning. I've heard that you could see a small gain on the scale after a workout because there is fluid retention in the muscles. For some reason I've never really believed that, but after today I really WANT to believe it's true! It's also one of "those weeks" but I'm NEVER up 5 lbs. This has to be a fluke, right??? I'm panicking!! I normally eat SOOO well and I'm really strict about working out so this is really upsetting for me. Any thoughts???
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #2  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Time of the month perhaps? Changes in medications? Too much sodium in your diet lately?

I'd give it a few days and see what happens... don't panic just yet!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Sounds like a few things adding up. Burger+fries = sodium. Extra hard workout. One of "those" weeks. Could easily account for 5 pounds (or more!).

Also, do you weigh yourself at the same time of day? Most folks weigh themselves in the morning after using "the facilities". There will still be fluctuations, but it helps.

Eat clean and make sure you get your water in and things should go back to normal soon!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #4  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I agree, water retention could be sodium, muscles, just one of those days/weeks, TOM etc. Our weight fluctuates day to day. Believe me, when I say I totally understand the frustration and disappointment when the scale isn't moving in the direction you want it to move. But, it shouldn't stop you from continuing on your healthy living either. Keep living the healthy lifestyle and the scale will move. Trust me!

One day of bad eating is not something you should be worried about but what you eat every day and habits you follow consistently is something you have to watch out for. So, if you eat healthy every day, count calories (or whatever plan you follow) diligently then you will see results.

Don't give in!! Be happy, keep eating healthy and keep moving!

Last edited by pintobean; 10-01-2009 at 07:15 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

Some of us (like myself) dramatically go up in weight due to water retention around that time of the month... I go up almost 6-7lbs. Seriously, though you were eating badly, it's just water probably! I read somewhere (not sure where on 3FC) that if you're doing badly with water retention, get a lemon squeeze it into water and drink it.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #6  

Thanks everyone!! I think I've come out of 'panic mode' and I'm just going to continue to stay on the healthy track and I'm sure it will all work itself out. I didn't think of the sodium issue w/ the burger and fries so I'm sure that was a major contributor too! I'm going to stay off the scale until next week and just CALM DOWN!!!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Anytime I eat off plan, I immediately put on anywhere from three to sometimes close to ten pounds of water. It doesn't even have to be the sodium. If you normally eat healthy, any change in your diet for the worse is likely to make you retain water, sometimes a lot of water.

It helps me to assess how many calories I actually ate. It takes just as many calories to gain a pound as it does to lose a pound. So for you to gain five pounds, you would need to eat 17,500 calories above your maintenance level (not above the level you eating at to lose weight, above your maintenance level). It's pretty doubtful that you were able to eat that much over just a weekend, even with the burger and fries on Monday.

Just get back on plan and stay there and that weight will come off, probably as quickly as it came on.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote