Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/166/139

Height: 5'7"

Default Food Holiday = Plateau Breaker

I've always known that when I go on a "food holiday" and eat a bit more, and differently, than usual, it never fails to break a plateau.

I'd been at *exactly* 167.8 for 3 weeks and no matter what I did - raising cals from 1600 to 2000, working out more, working out less, it stayed exactly there.

So this weekend, I had guests in town and I went on a planned "food holiday". I estimate I consumed between 2500-3000 calories on both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't eat tons of "unhealthy" foods, rather I ate more of the things that are actually healthy choices (LOL Unless you include that half loaf of sourdough bread with olive oil, or the flourless chocolate cake!)

So Monday morning I was prepared for the upward movement of the scale, due to the water retention and extra food - and upward it did move, from 167.8 to 170.4. So I skipped the scale on Tuesday, and this morning - we have 166.6!

I can't say I'm not pleased to know that time and again, all it seems to take to break a plateau for me is a little planned cheat. I can't wait until it's time to break the next plateau! I do like how I feel when I eat healthy, but i must admit, I would not kick a piece of chocolate cake out of bed on a planned food holiday
SunnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

That's great! I am a total food addict, so those planned holidays aren't something I can dabble in, just as an alcoholic can't take a sobriety holiday. However, I do believe that this sort of change in routine is a great way of surprising your body and mixing things up in a good way.

Have fun on your next "holiday!"

Irene
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - it definitely works for some, definitely DOESN'T work for others, or at all phases of weight loss. Enjoy it! Glad you've found something that works for you.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #4  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

That is great!! I have thought about doing the same down the road if I hit a bump but so far so good! Glad it works for you!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #5  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Sunny, that method works for me too! Within reason. I try not to use those "holidays" to go crazy and there is definitely a clear end to it. I don't drag it on and on.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #6  
MindBodySpirit Health

S/C/G: 246/216/186

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
Sunny, that method works for me too! Within reason. I try not to use those "holidays" to go crazy and there is definitely a clear end to it. I don't drag it on and on.
That is the key. Within reason. 1-2 days of off eating and then IMMEDIATELY going back to your healthy lifestyle has proven to break my plateaus as well. I think it kind of works along the same lines as muscle confusion maybe? Your body gets used to a certain amount of calories and a certain type of calorie and by introducing that "off" day (but for an extremely short period of time), it forces the body to "overwork" to burn it off? Maybe? I'm no doctor, but I know it's worked for me too.
angieaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

This works for me too.......both physically and to satisfy cravings for pizza. LOL.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #8  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, it's the IMMEDIATELY getting right back on plan part that is important. I've have a number of weeks where I had visitors/holidays/weddings/etc. and I eat more than my usual 1200-1700 calories. Without fail -- if I get RIGHT back on to program after those few days I see an excellent loss for the week. I do try to stick to the 1200 end of my range for the rest of the week, of course

I have been lucky enough to not plateau yet (fingers crossed!) but I'll be using that technique if I do!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #9  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

you know this method works for my identical twin sister, but when I tried I gained two pounds. . .
=/
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote